IGNORED

New Joust game play opinion

Yurkie

I was playing the new homebrew Joust last night and while it is great to finally have sound for an all time favorite of mine, I was very disappointed how much altitude you gain with a single left button push. I think 3 quick presses takes you from the bottom of the screen to bouncing off the top of the screen. Flaps seem way to powerful IMO.

Curious what others think.

I was playing the new homebrew Joust last night and while it is great to finally have sound for an all time favorite of mine, I was very disappointed how much altitude you gain with a single left button push. I think 3 quick presses takes you from the bottom of the screen to bouncing off the top of the screen. Flaps seem way to powerful IMO.

Curious what others think.

Did you try it at the "easy" setting?

I haven't compared the original prototype with no sound that has been available since the early 2000s to this new version that Team Pixelboy and Sean Kelly just released, but was wondering if the old prototype flap power is the same as this new version. Might be something to compare by playing both versions.

BTW, has anyone found the Easter Egg that accesses the programmer's developmental menu/change gameplay options?

Strange that it is black and white.

Normally, it will in the selected line be black like the picture from my Coleco Arcade.

post-9873-0-47206100-1418161462_thumb.jpg

So using this Emulator as you mention, you will not be able to see what you choose, since it will be black and the background also is black.

;)

Mugrat probably doesn't correctly support the VDP functionality to set the background color.

That might be. Thanks for that bit of info!

As for ten-four's site info about holding [#] on both controllers, has that been verified by others? Because simply pressing [*] on controller 1 does it for me!

As for ten-four's site info about holding [#] on both controllers, has that been verified by others? Because simply pressing [*] on controller 1 does it for me!

On a real CV, the # buttons on both controllers have to be pressed simultaneously and the background is indeed blue.

On a real CV, the # buttons on both controllers have to be pressed simultaneously and the background is indeed blue.

I can confirm this also.

I started a game with heavy gravity and weak flap.

That played so well I almost thought it did nothing, until I restarted with the default and shot up to the top, fast!

Now it is nice to know we have options. (Originally I didn't think the default was too much.)

• 5 years later...

I'm reading this thread after playing the prototype ROM with no sound and I'm curious, because it seems to suggest the only difference from the new cartridge release is the sound. Yet when I play the prototype, the life counter doesn't go down and the game goes on forever. Am I missing something?

I've played the prototype again and I see now that easy level is playable while standard level has the infinite lives problem and the "hard" level has no enemies whatsoever. In other words, the easy skill level on the prototype is hardest! 

Edited by Spector