IGNORED

Flashback Overlays: Intellivision Productions & Psycho Stormtrooper

JasonlikesINTV

So Intellivision Productions announced a complete overlay set to be released on Dec 1st. I'm assuming it will include overlays for 60/61 games. In the Flashback manual, it looks like they are using Roger's designs for the INTV Corp games. Those all appear to still have the Psycho Stormtrooper moniker, but some have 'Intellivision Productions Inc' also added, while others do not (Thunder Castle & Thin Ice for example). I'm assuming Intellivision Productions' intent was to add their name to those designs, although they didn't add it to the old Mattel ones. I'm wondering if the inconsistent labeling on the INTV Corp ones was intentional or accidental and more importantly, if some new ones are mostly indistinguishable from Roger's older ones, will this devalue the original Orphan Overlays? I'm sure complete boxed sets will still command a decent price, but loose ones typically sell higher ($8-20) per pair. Will this dilute that market? Thoughts?

Where was this announced? I went to the web site and didn't see anything listed. I'd be interested in a set of overlays. Never got the others and never will pay the rediculous prices they command today.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217407-breaking-news-intellivision-flashback-coming-to-retail/page-65?do=findComment&comment=3121268

Check out the post from IntellivisionProds from Nov 24th ;-)

If they make them using the same process as the overlays already in the Flashback, the impact will likely be small. Some people will be happy with the cheaper new set, but the collector community will still fight over them. ;) The originals are well-made. These new ones seem to be about a micron thick.

I sure as hell hope so. $20 for a pair of overlays is beyond stupid.

Did they give any indication of pricing?

Most that I've seen run closer to $8 per pair. Spiker obviously fetches $15+. I believe the pricier ones I saw were for Diner, and sold between $20-25. Yikes.

For perspective, the Orphan Overlay Series 3 set (CIB) sells for $200+ (~$4 per pair), but it's out of print and collectible. The Sears set was originally $2.50 per pair...and came with a box, manual, and 29 cart labels.

Regarding pricing for the Flashback set I've heard nothing yet, but I suspect they will be cheap. If you buy a Flashback for only $30-40, paying another $60+ ($1/pair) would be silly. I suspect they will be around $29.99, but that's a WILD guess.

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

50 cents per pair seems a lot more reasonable for what are essentially plastic sheets with some ink on them. Yes, I'm completely dismissing the early efforts that went into creating these - mostly because this should be a much higher volume sale.

China can probably print these things for 3 cents per pair. That's a heck of a profit margin, even if you add in a healthy royalty for the creator.

• Like 1

Most that I've seen run closer to $8 per pair. Spiker obviously fetches $15+. I believe the pricier ones I saw were for Diner, and sold between $20-25. Yikes.

For perspective, the Orphan Overlay Series 3 set (CIB) sells for $200+ (~$4 per pair), but it's out of print and collectible. The Sears set was originally $2.50 per pair...and came with a box, manual, and 29 cart labels.

Regarding pricing for the Flashback set I've heard nothing yet, but I suspect they will be cheap. If you buy a Flashback for only $30-40, paying another $60+ ($1/pair) would be silly. I suspect they will be around $29.99, but that's a WILD guess.

I think the OO series 3 would go well over $300....

50 cents per pair seems a lot more reasonable for what are essentially plastic sheets with some ink on them. Yes, I'm completely dismissing the early efforts that went into creating these - mostly because this should be a much higher volume sale.

China can probably print these things for 3 cents per pair. That's a heck of a profit margin, even if you add in a healthy royalty for the creator.

Somebody send me the damned artwork for these things….I would be happy to produce them for a whole lot less. I have been in the printing business for nearly 20 years…for $8 per pair, customers are leaving with their pants around their ankles and a sore ass. Even if you include the cost of a die cut, these things are hella expensive.

• Like 3

he contacted me for permission to do an intv brotherhood overlay and never heard anything after that.

I messaged him on Ebay, be curious if anyone has handled one.

New message from: tipsymissie1448 (180iconTealStar_25x25.gif)
Hi, I have made them as close to the originals as I can. Using a very similar process as the originals were made. I don't have a screen printer, So I have had to make a change there. Not a laminate. Each one is hand made and it takes about two weeks to make a set of 118 overlays. It has taken me 3 years to make all of the designs so far and still an on going process. I have made all of the overlays made from Activision to Sega.

Is it the same guy that keeps selling them from the UK under different eBay names? Swapmagic something or other? The ones I got back then looked nice, but were pretty thin. I think I have his Diner and SameGame ones.

That being said, $15 per set is expensive and I paid way less for mine ($4 for SameGame and $8 for Diner). I DO like my Diner ones :)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV