IGNORED

Between-Season 2600 Tournament!

karokoenig

"A roughly 3 month off season is kinda long." (roadrunner)

Damn right. Stop this madness! Let's play some Atari. Announcing the Between-Season Tournament. Now with a REAL PRIZE!

The Game:

Feeling blue, guys? We're going to play SMURF - Rescue in Gargamel's Castle. Or, as I like to call it "Curse of the Azure Booty".

The Trophy:

The winner of this little tournament will be awarded with a cartridge of "Dschungel Boy", sent to you by yours truly.

For those of you in NTSC land, it's a Pitfall clone distributed by Quelle, sold in english-speaking parts of PAL land as "Tom Boy". A simplified clone. And it's bad. And easy. And lame. And it has a really awful Mowgli impersonator on the cover "art". And it's not very rare at all. Or valuable, for that matter.

In fact, I bought it last week for 80 cents on a flea market after seeing it sit on that particular seller's table for several weeks. I already have a copy, and the game sucks, so I passed it again and again. But slowly, compassion rose in the back of my head. That poor cart was loved by no one, doomed to rot away, neglected and shivering in the cold flea market air. It needs a new home. A warm and loving home. And you can be the one giving it to poor Jungle Boy.

The rules:

Tournament will start on Tuesday, Dec 2 and scores will be accepted until Saturday, Dec 20, 20.00 CET. Plenty of time, so take it easy and enjoy.

We will skip the overly dandy easy levels and start at Skill level 3, one player. Difficulty switches set to "B", just in case it matters.

I will probably post scores as well, but out of contest. I just like playing this game.

Good luck to everyone. Have fun. And most importantly…

…Smurf be nimble! Smurf be quick!

Standings:

1. Northcoastgamer: 171600

2. KaeruYojimbo: 109800

3. Lid: 96800

4. Oyamafamily: 95800

5. Jason_Atari: 31900

6. Wickeycolumbus: 31200

7. darthkur: 30600

8. CaptainClassic: 27600

9. Gorfy: 23700

10. Nikon: 16300

11. Spacey Invader: 15000

12. Roadrunner: 13800

13. LarcenTyler: 10300

(Out of contest: karokoenig: 101,500)

post-34656-0-63396500-1417199349_thumb.jpg

post-34656-0-89314600-1417199409_thumb.jpg

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 7

Cool! Smurf was the first game I loved. :)

My Atari history started with Missile Command - packed in game. A little bit after Space Invaders and then Megamania.

As a boy of 4-5 years old, I feared the Bomb in Missile Command, the final fast pace, tension and the inevitable death of Space Invaders. Megamania was another shooting, black game, who am I...

When I got Smurf, I recognized the character, I loved the music and the fact I was the hero saving smurfette.

• Like 4

Smurf was also one of my favourite games when I was a kid. And I still find it graphically impressive. Sound's pretty elaborate as well, though slightly on the annoying side. That's why I chose it for this little competition. Also, it's been a while since we played it in the HSC. 2 years, in fact, as part of cartoon week. So I thought: why not give it a little more love? And Gorfy, if you read this: you surely have a better performance in you that what you showed 2 years ago :-).

• Like 1

Pardon my absolute ignorance, but what emulator should I use?

Stella is the most advanced, our 'default emulator', better choice.

Javatari is an interesting and recent option.

Welcome. :)

Atarimania is your great source of roms, ads and other infos.

Get your roms.

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 1

I just noticed that the contest is supposed to start "Tuesday, December 4th". Today is Tuesday, but it is Dec. 2nd.

Karo, does the contest start today or on Thursday? I'd hate to have my monumental score disqualified :ponder:

Oopsy Daisy. Thanks for the pointer. Tournament has started. Show me your scores. And your monumental score does count :-D

While we're at it... I was thinking of evening out the chances a little for everyone. Back when I still played Pool Billard, we called it "Handicap Tournament". Better players had to give worse players a headstart. I dunno - something like 2 frames in a best of 11 9-Ball game.

Translated to this occasion, I could imagine using last season's final standing to determine handicaps. Not much - something like the top 5 ranking players starting with zero points, the next 5 getting +5000 and so on. That isn't much when I look at last time Smurf was played in the HSC, but it gives the occasional player a slightly better chance to be competetive against the top predators.

I'm aware that it's not the best of styles to change the rules after the competition has started. So I'm asking you guys: Would you like to have this handicap feature or should we run as originally intended?

I'm aware that it's not the best of styles to change the rules after the competition has started. So I'm asking you guys: Would you like to have this handicap feature or should we run as originally intended?

I don't really have a strong preference either way. I guess I would suggest not bothering with determining handicaps because of the extra work it would entail. But if you're gonna give me a handicap, make it really big ;)

• Like 1

post-32348-0-10968900-1417645447_thumb.png

Hmm... If 999,900 is the maximum score, I guess it's possible more than one player rolls the game. This is my first try. :)

Curiosity:

This is a new homebrew game for Intellivision inspired by Smurf. In fact, if smurf wasn't copy righted, it would be the Intellivision smurf version.

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 2