IGNORED

Opcode Pacman vs. Arcade Pacman Video

65Gamerguy

Background story:

A few months ago I retired from my job because of a new supervisor who was shall we say incompotent to put it mildly. I feel lucky to be able to have left when I did to be honest, but I digress.

I have always enjoyed Pac-man. It was one of those games that had that hook. The one thing that made you drop another (US) quarter in to give it another try. As you all know it was never available on the ColecoVision until the Opcode version was available. Yea there was the Atari rom but not on a cartridge and there was also Dacman, but again I digress.

Since I now had time on my hands and I enjoy the CV I thought I would give Pacman a try by learning the patterns on the arcade. The funny thing is I learned them using opcodes versioin of pacman on my ColecoVision! I am almost 50 years old folks so my brain doesn't always work as fast as I would like, but I printed out diagrams from the net of the arcade patterns and found that they worked. In my early atempts I thought things were wrong but it was myself that was at fault, missing a certain move I should have done.

Before I learned these patterns my high score on Pacman was 30,000 or less. Now I can achieve high scores well over 100,000 points on the Opcode version using the arcade patterns and also using them on the arcade version on MAME.

I just have to say it is pretty awesome. I made an edited youtube video below of showing the faithfullness of both versions trying to capture both at about the same time during game play. The original video was 20 minutes long so I edited it down to about 6 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP7ByTeXO-I

Edited by 65Gamerguy
  • Like 14

Thanks for the vid, that's awesome! Yeah, Ed's version is amazing as is the Ms. Pacman. Regarding the Atari version, who made this homebrew?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1615016983471?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=161501698347&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It really hard to tell from just a picture especially seeing as there are many talented individuals who could make this box and cart from the AtariSoft prototype rom image. My guess is the box was made by Marc Oberhauser and the cartridge was made by Albert Yarusso quite a number of years ago and he made other AtariSoft proto carts before Atari hit him with a C&D.

Gorgeous video!

I managed a perfect cherry pattern after watching some youtube videos about a month ago.

Really cool to see you go the extra mile and throw down a bunch of the patterns. :thumbsup:

I have learned all the patterns to get to the 9th key, but not past it, but so far I have only made it to the 8th key so it hasn't been needed yet anyway. At the 9th key there is another pattern that I believe you can use until the kill screen at level 256. At least on the arcade, I don't know if the Opcode version will have the kill screen since the kill screen results from a programming error after 255 levels with drawing the fruit. In normal game play it would take hours to get there and I am not sure that is something I want to attempt. There is a code you can enter to skip levels if I remember correctly so that might be an option.

In fact Opcode worked out from the same binary that runs in arcade machine because it's a Z80, so in Colecovision you've the real McCoy, exactly the same core code with different visuals.

Thanks for that info. And I have to say that we need a call to arms to make all arcade games that use a Z80 processor to be at least as good as this one is! OK maybe that might not be so good since some of them might not be so great.

Anyone know a list of arcade games that use a Z80 that weren't released for the ColelcoVision?

• Like 1

Woo hoo! Look at 'im go! I believe sir, that you have truly earned the right to your own moniker!

Excellent video. Entertaining to watch. Thank you for doing that!

Well I don't know about that but my game has improved. I haven't made it passed the 9th key yet which involves another pattern. So far my high score is at 163,000+ points on the opcode game in the video. I just cut the rest off because I didn't think anyone wanted to see 20 minutes of me playing pacman.

Thanks for the kind words, and for watching my video!

• Like 1

It really hard to tell from just a picture especially seeing as there are many talented individuals who could make this box and cart from the AtariSoft prototype rom image. My guess is the box was made by Marc Oberhauser and the cartridge was made by Albert Yarusso quite a number of years ago and he made other AtariSoft proto carts before Atari hit him with a C&D.

Thx for this info man

Interesting. I wouldn't consider those good patterns to use since we know that players are able to achieve a perfect Pac-Man.

I don't know that this has been asked before: does Opcode's Pac-Man contain a kill screen?

It's a port using the Arcade game code, so it should unless Opcode fixed it.

Where can i get my hands on that OPCODE PAC MAN?!?!!?!? Or the full version DONKEY KONG?!?!?!?!?

65 GAMERGUY, awesome man~!!!!!!!

Anthony

Unless you can find a cartridge version of Pac Man you are out of luck. But if you are willing to purchase an Atarimax Ultimate SD cartridge then you can load the Pac Man rom onto it and play it that way. You can also play almost every single game ever made if you have the roms. Plus the last version of the SD cartridge also included another great game, Mario Bros, as a pack in game with one other game included. I don't know if that is still the case today, but the SD cart is the way to go in any case, in my opinion.

Actually the price for Pac-Man Collection (the more common black cart shell variation) has dropped significantly as can be attested to by the last two that have come up on eBay.

Indeed the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart is a highly recommended purchase and required to play PMC on a real CV, but you can also play the rom file thru BlueMSX or on the Wii with WiiColecoEm (I think that's the one that is compatible with PMC and MegaCart roms). Emulation has it's drawbacks, but when it's the only option... it's the only option.