IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

AtariAge and that dude who made a game some time ago present...

Carol vs. The World!

2014 Championship

It is Christmas time once again and the third annual Carol vs. The World! Championship is upon us. Throughout the entire month of December, all boys and girls--naughty or nice--will have the opportunity not only to earn bragging rights, but to win actual prizes!

At stake, like always, is a one-of-a-kind edition of the game Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents, made exclusively for the player with the highest score. There are prizes for players of all skill levels and many other surprises!

This year, we've partnered with AtariAge to include even more prizes! The Top Players on each rank will receive a $25.00 gift certificate for the AtariAge Store, and the Grand Prize winner will be awarded a $50.00 gift certificate. How's that for a stocking stuffer?

The rules are simple:

1. Play the Christmas Carol game on your Intellivision® console or PC.
  2. At the end of the game, record your final score by taking a photograph or screen-shot of the game screen. This will serve as proof of your score.
  3. Announce your points to the judges by posting the image right here or sending it via e-mail to the judges at: <cvw@CarolVsGhost.com>. Be sure to include the name you want to have displayed on the leaderboard.
  4. Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as you'd like, until the contest deadline of December 31st, 2014.

That's it! There's nothing to buy and no registration required. Whether you play the game cartridge on an Intellivision® console, or the ROM edition on a PC or Mac, it's all the same. Just send us a photo or screen-grab of your score and you're in!
We'll post all entries to the Official CvW Leaderboard as they come in, where they forever will remain immortalized on the Internet.

Will you save Christmas from the twiggy arms of the Evil Snowman? Is the Ghost Of Christmas Presents your friend or foe? Can you attain a Perfect Christmas?

Join us here in the official discussion thread of the CvW Championship!

Get Ready... GO! Done!

The championship is now closed. Below are the final and official rankings.

Official Leaderboard

Current Ranking:

Top rankings generated on: 01/11/2015 14:26:15

Number  Display Name        Old High Score  New High Score  Level  Rank           Consecutive Days
     1  Fushek                      10,863          29,159    308  Grand Master                  1
     2  grips03                      4,047          14,325    149  Grand Master                  1
     3  Oscar G.                     7,619           9,463    102  Grand Master                  1
     4  Scalpel                      5,692           7,079     73  Grand Master                  1
     5  bcprs1                           0           6,442     64  Master                        1
     6  pimpmaul69                       0           5,702     62  Master                       29
     7  Darrin9999                   3,101           4,904     48  Ranger                       31
     8  JasonlikesINTV               3,150           4,036     43  Ranger                        1
     9  Yeliz K.                     2,059           3,043     37  Ranger                        1
    10  Wilson T. Oyama              1,180           2,933     31  Helper                        1
    11  Emerson                          0           2,917     31  Helper                        1
    12  TrekMD                       2,283           2,635     31  Helper                        1
    13  Canonitis                        0           2,459     31  Helper                        1
    14  Iwantgames:)                     0           1,898     21  Helper                        1
    15  stupus                           0           1,574     16  Novice                        1
    16  ChefPepper                       0           1,277     16  Novice                        1
    17  zapiy                            0           1,185     14  Novice                        1
    18  Gorfy                        1,960           1,158     16  Novice                        1
    19  RetroAl                          0           1,154     16  Novice                        1
    20  BalloonFighter                   0           1,105     14  Novice                        1
    21  JoeMusashi                       0           1,011     12  Novice                        1
    22  IntellivisionDude            3,125             950     12  Novice                        1
    23  Nour K.                      1,044             846     11  Novice                        1
    24  save2600                         0             549      7  Novice                        1
    25  First Spear                      0             548      8  Novice                        1
    26  Milinea                          0             538      8  Novice                        1
    27  Greyfox                          0             504      7  Novice                        1
    28  Victor R.                        0             154      3  Novice                        2
    29  Mrs. Fushek                      0             102      2  Novice                        1
    30  Andrew                           0              29      1  Novice                        1

General Statistics:

Output for "build-lb" generated on: 01/11/2015 14:30:17

GENERAL STATISTICS:
-------------------
        Total Entries Processed:       418
        Disqualified Entries:           39
        Non-Participating Entries:       2
        Total Qualified Contestants:    30

CHAMPIONS PER RANK:
-------------------
        Novice:        16
        Helper:         5
        Ranger:         3
        Master:         2
        Grand Master:   4

LAST STAGES BY RANK:
--------------------
        Haunted Hollow:        17
                Novice:         4
                Helper:         3
                Ranger:         5
                Grand Master:   5

Frosted Maze:          36
                Novice:         3
                Helper:        12
                Ranger:        12
                Master:         7
                Grand Master:   2

Candy Cove:            25
                Novice:         5
                Helper:        10
                Ranger:         3
                Grand Master:   7

Icicle Lane:           21
                Novice:         8
                Helper:        11
                Ranger:         1
                Master:         1

Snowflake Garden:      24
                Novice:        10
                Ranger:         7
                Grand Master:   4

Freezer Burn:          29
                Ranger:         2
                Master:         6

Krystal Keep:          31
                Novice:         6
                Helper:         9
                Ranger:        10
                Master:         4

Twisted Toyland:       40
                Helper:         7
                Ranger:         7
                Master:         5
                Grand Master:   5

ACHIEVEMENTS EARNED:
--------------------
        One Smart Cookie:                     3
        The Spirit Of Christmas Present:     30
        The Spirit Of Christmas Past:         9
        Ice Cave Raider:                     29
        Cavern Explorer:                     28
        Santa's Magic Touch:                 27
        The Boss Is In:                      18
        Elf In Training:                     27
        Elf Apprentice:                      21
        Santa's Elite Elf:                   13
        Elf Superstar:                        6
        Practice Makes Perfect:               6
        The Perfectionist Elf:               14
        I Have A Sweet Tooth:                 7
        Icy Flower Power:                    10
        Frozen "P":                          10
        A Perfect Christmas:                  3
        Five Golden Rings... Of Life:         8
        Savior Of Christmas:                 14
        The Twelve Days Of Christmas Carol:   4
        Elf On Duty:                          7
        Santa's Little Helper:               14
        I, Ranger Elf:                        9
        I, Master Elf:                        6
        I, Overachieving Elf:                 4
        I, Christmas Savior Extraordinaire:   8
        Walking On Egg Shells:                2
        Code Breaker:                         0
        To Kill A Mocking Ghost:              2
        Tread On Yellow Snow:                 2
        A Perfect Christmas Supreme:          0
        Exalted Elf Knight Of Christmas:      1
        A Clockwork Orange:                   1
        Story Teller:                         0
        Breaker Of Ice:                       2
        Nine Elf Ladies Dancing:              6
        Kickin' It Old-Skool:                 7
        Bake A Humble Pie:                    8
        Twenty-Four Days Of Christmas Carol:  2
        Elf Of The Month:                     1
        The Ghost Of Birthday Presents:      13
        Veteran Elf:                         12

PLAYER STATISTICS:
--------------------
        Overachiever Extraordinaire:    Oscar G. (32 achievements)
        High Elf-Esteem:                Fushek (From 7,480 to 29,159 points)
        Workaholic Elf:                 Darrin9999 (31 consecutive days)
        Prolific Elf:                   pimpmaul69 (71 entries)
        Higher Elf-Esteem:              Fushek (From 7,480 to 29,159 points in only 31 days)
        Head Of The Class:              pimpmaul69 (5 ranks)
        Busy Bee:                       Darrin9999 (31 days)
        Rookie Of The Year:             zapiy (From 121 to 1,185 points in only 12 days)
        Rookie Overachiever:            ChefPepper (11 achievements)

Helpful Links:

Download ROM Right Here:

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 6

Really got into this game last night. A wee bit on the hard side for me sometime (snowman is relentless!), but am figuring out some strategies for dodging. Was surprised at first that he doesn't slow down when following you into the tunnel, but quickly remembered I wasn't playing Pac-Man. lol

The game is truly a masterpiece and look forward to honing my skills for this years contest. Thanks for the compelling contest and great times DZ-Jay!

• Like 2

The first day of the championship is almost over and we have a score from Gorfy. Because he was brave enough to break the ice, he's earned a brand new achievement called Breaker Of Ice. Way to go, Gorfy!

I've updated the official leaderboard. Also, I've updated the top post to mention the prizes provided by AtariAge: gift certificates for the AtariAge Store to the top players!

The rest of you, don't forget to post your scores--you can post as many times as you'd like, there's no penalty for the number of scores submitted (in fact, we encourage it).

Also, don't forget to check the achievements list. How many can you earn?

Cheers!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Last year, after winning the contest, I decided to play next contest trying perfect games as cparsley once did.

My goal this year is to get this achievement:

achievm-icon.pngA Perfect Christmas Supreme

Complete all eight stages of the game and save Christmas, on all four ranks,

having achieved a Perfect Level Bonus on all 64 levels! (Sour-cream optional.)

Automatic: No Available: Cartridge, ROM

Okay, okay. Now I present my humble first game.

post-32348-0-15421200-1417476864_thumb.png

:-D

• Like 4

Last year, after winning the contest, I decided to play next contest trying perfect games as cparsley once did.

My goal this year is to get this achievement:

achievm-icon.pngA Perfect Christmas Supreme

Complete all eight stages of the game and save Christmas, on all four ranks,

having achieved a Perfect Level Bonus on all 64 levels! (Sour-cream optional.)

Automatic: No Available: Cartridge, ROM

Okay, okay. Now I present my humble first game.

attachicon.gifxmascarol.png

:-D

Holy kabuki! You're really out of shape, Liduario! Don't be fool, guys, this man is the one who broke the world record last year. He's the one to beat! :)

Thanks for playing again, mate.

attachicon.gifWP_000174.jpg

Played about an hour tonight, fun game :) 1,513 points

Got new rank Helper :)

Wow, just an hour play renders over 1,500 points? I want your m4d sk1llz! Thanks for joining us, Iwantgames. I hope you enjoy the competition.

1513?? Holy smokes man, how_do_you_do_it? Oh… you're playing on an emulator. Gotta be easier somehow that way. :lol:

Here's my lowly and humble best score so far:

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Actually, I find that the game plays better on the console. It was designed to use the disc controller, with special heuristics to allow you to corner tightly by rolling your thumb over the disc.

In any case, that's a perfectly respectable score. Keep it up!

I've updated the official leaderboard, so go check out the achievements you've earned so far. Iwantgames has taken the lead--at least for now.

Don't forget, there's over 30 achievements to be earned. Also, don't forget to answer the Pre-Contest Riddles to earn a bonus achievement!

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 2

Score - 7480

Must remain patient on Snowflake Garden! Hello to the veteran players and welcome to the new players! Hope to see everyone playing this year again and look forward to seeing everyone's progress!

And Lid ... stop teasing us!!! 400?

post-31049-0-88016700-1417491356_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

7,480?? I doubt I'll ever get that high on emulation. If only I could get my Intv flashback controller to work on my PC :lol: or if I had a real Intv console to play on :P

go to intellivision.us and order the ultimate pc interface or whatever it is called. It has an update that makes flashback controllers useable on it. Edited by pimpmaul69

The first day of the championship has closed and we're off to a fantastic start.

Saved christmas :) and score 2018

Darrin9999

Welcome back, Darrin9999, and congratulations on a great score! You shot up to the top of the rank--er... wait a minute... what's this?

An entry from veteran Fushek!

Score - 7480

Must remain patient on Snowflake Garden! Hello to the veteran players and welcome to the new players! Hope to see everyone playing this year again and look forward to seeing everyone's progress!

And Lid ... stop teasing us!!! 400?

attachicon.gifphoto - 1.JPG

Holy wackamoley! What an impressive score! What an entrance.

Welcome back, Master Elf Fushek. Were you practicing all year long? You seem to be seriously aiming at the top prize this year. Well, I wish you the best of luck.

Of course, it's still early days in the championship, so who knows. Great score! :)

go to intellivision.us and order the ultimate pc interface or whatever it is called. It has an update that makes flashback controllers useable on it.

So, where's your score, pimpmaul69? Remember, in the Carol vs. The World! Championship, all scores are High Scores. We encourage you to post all your scores and track your progress and improvement with the rest of the gang. :)

Great scores, everyone! I've updated the official leaderboard, so go check out your names standings. It's still a little scrunny, so keep cracking!

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Okay, noticing a pattern here… so far, the highest scoring entries and by great margins, have all been submitted by people using an emulator. Superior directional pad or not… something's not right here!

Maybe high score contests should be divided up between emulators and real hardware??