IGNORED

TI-99/4A graphics all scrambled?

STICH666

Hey guys, I recently found a TI-99/4A in my Grandmother's basement and after cleaning and thoroughly letting it dry, it fired right up. I played about 2 minutes of Burger Time and everything went scrambled. I restarted the system to find the screen like this and no matter what I do it won't go back to normal. Any ideas?

15740379428_bf4e51109e_o.jpg

Common issue related to heating as far as I'm aware and I had the same problem with one of my units. I was going to see if putting small heat sinks on some of the chips would help, but I ended up taking the system apart incorrectly and I ended up just tossing it. Not a huge deal, I ended up getting another unit that works fine for about ten bucks.

Common issue related to heating as far as I'm aware and I had the same problem with one of my units. I was going to see if putting small heat sinks on some of the chips would help, but I ended up taking the system apart incorrectly and I ended up just tossing it. Not a huge deal, I ended up getting another unit that works fine for about ten bucks.

Hmm that would make sense. I noticed thermal paste on one of the chips and just figured there was plenty still on the heatsink, I'm gonna put on some Arctic Silver and see how it goes. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

This kind of problem comes up from time to time. In almost all the cases, (I do not remember the exceptions if any) the solution has been the F18A. You can read a little bit about this device in my blog << HERE >>. It really is an amazing gadget. If you get one, after you hook it up, you'll probably say something like, "I'm glad it failed, otherwise I never would have gotten this amazing thing!" ;)