IGNORED

Edladdin Controllers "Seagull 78" - order two right now.

wood_jl

I ordered my seagull a week ago and have yet to get a shipping confirmation. Not sure if I am waiting on a new batch or what.

I apologize for the delay! We have had three issues pop up over the last week:

1. We ARE in the middle of building the second batch of Seagull 78s after selling out of the first batch. The pic shows all the little enclosures after the milling.

2. Most of the assembly is done by me and/or my sister. Our grandma just passed away, so last week we were in Florida paying our respects.

3. North Georgia keeps getting hit with snow and ice. Its been a laughably small amount by the standards of most of the country, but when the schools close both my sister and the office manager are both stuck home minding the kids, so our output slows down too.

I promise we will have your Seagull 78 out ASAP! Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

post-40253-0-73180500-1424884533_thumb.jpg

Thanks! It's nice to see that my arcade stick would work. I was really hoping for a Colecovision solution too though. Right now I use my 7800 controllers for games like H.E.R.O. On the Colecovision.

We just bought a Colecovision on ebay so that we could begin exploring solutions for this console. Hopefully the Seagull CVN will be coming soon!

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear about your grandma edladdin.

The Colecovision thing is interesting....converting a controller is nice but the Genesis controller will already let you play most games, if not start them easily. I know it's very early but how do you expect to replicate the keypad I am wondering? (maybe I am missing something obvious--a 2600 number pad daisychained in maybe?-- because I'll admit I was into Coleco for all of two weeks before I was totally turned off by the awful RF and god awful broken controllers I had).

It has a great version of Gorf I'll say that!

The Colecovision thing is interesting....converting a controller is nice but the Genesis controller will already let you play most games, if not start them easily. I know it's very early but how do you expect to replicate the keypad I am wondering? (maybe I am missing something obvious--a 2600 number pad daisychained in maybe?-- because I'll admit I was into Coleco for all of two weeks before I was totally turned off by the awful RF and god awful broken controllers I had).

Thanks for your kind words... She was 93 and had a good life and all that, but I will miss her all the same. :-(

On the Colecovision, for an inexpensive Sega adapter I have been thinking of a pass-through where the user plugs in an external keypad. Ideally it would be the Colecovision controller you already have. It could also be one of the three versions of the keypad made for the 2600. For an arcade controller we would have a self-adhesive vinyl membrane keypad produced overseas, like you have on a microwave oven. Initial investigation suggests they are not SO expensive if you are willing to order 100+ at a time. After that is available it would also be easy to offer our own keypad as the external unit.

I am also wondering if there would be interest for an adapter that would allow classic/custom Colecovision controllers to be used with the Colecovision Flashback?

Personally, I have had less than 10 minutes on a Colecovision. I was an Atari kid through and through, though at the time I did not realize how much better looking the games were. Also I was turned off by the controllers, which seemed awful compared to the CX-40. As such, I went straight from the 2600 to 5200. This lot we won on ebay came with 43 carts and many titles I have never tried outside of the arcade, so I am looking forward to giving the Colecovision a whirl...

We just bought a Colecovision on ebay so that we could begin exploring solutions for this console. Hopefully the Seagull CVN will be coming soon!

That would be great! I'll definitely have to splurge for adapters for both systems. While we're at it, do you have a 5200 to play with? ?

I want to love my Colecovision but the controllers and the RF do suck. I replaced my power button because I got tired of it always acting up. I also ordered an av mod kit to make the video better. For the controllers I just use 2600 joysticks for one button games and 7800 joysticks for two button games. Would love to use my Genesis arcade stick though!

I have to admit, Gorf does kick ass on the system! I might even like it more than the arcade version!

That would be great! I'll definitely have to splurge for adapters for both systems. While we're at it, do you have a 5200 to play with? ?

Its funny you should ask... The Bride's eyes popped when she saw the treasure trove of Colecovision stuff that arrived! She does not share my collector's itch and worried that I wanted to put it all on display somehow. I assured her that I was mostly interested in being able to play the games, and that most of that stuff would head up to our little factory in North Georgia. But I also warned her that before I was through I also wanted another Atari 5200, which caused her to let out a big moan. She's going to moan again when she finally sees what a monster that 5200 console was! lol

What I have learned so far is that the 5200 is more complicated than the Colecovision, primarily because of its analog stick, which uses two potentiometers instead of four microswitches. For that we have to either find a true analog stick, try to simulate the analog experience digitally, or skip the analog entirely and deliver a simple four position stick for both arcade controller and Sega gamepad. Does anyone care about about having true analog on the 5200? IMHO, analog is for trackballs.

The extra three buttons on the original controller are not a problem if we are printing the vinyl membrane, but for a "Seagull 52" type adapter we would need to add them as switches on the enclosure, which adds to the cost.

So yes, a 5200 would totally be next on my wish list, both for myself personally as a collector/gamer and for projects for Edladdin. I would LOVE to return to the excellent/fave ports of Gyruss, Moon Patrol, and Qix for the first time in decades, and it would be off the hook to return to Space Dungeon with a "SuperTwin 52". But no, I do not actually have a 5200 system at this time.

post-40253-0-32201200-1424926170_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-08305000-1424927521_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-05999000-1424927523_thumb.jpg

I want to love my Colecovision but the controllers and the RF do suck. I replaced my power button because I got tired of it always acting up. I also ordered an av mod kit to make the video better. For the controllers I just use 2600 joysticks for one button games and 7800 joysticks for two button games. Would love to use my Genesis arcade stick though!

I have to admit, Gorf does kick ass on the system! I might even like it more than the arcade version!

Are you saying the 7800 controllers deliver correct two button play through the Colecovision? If so, that is great news! That puts us halfway to the finish line.

My big Colecovision treasure trove included a dead console, so the R&D process has temporarily stalled out again. I now have two dead consoles, so I guess I am off to the Colecovision forum to see if I can find some tips for reviving these things.

I am also wondering if there would be interest for an adapter that would allow classic/custom Colecovision controllers to be used with the Colecovision Flashback?

You should talk to the real CV guys in their forum but I think you're more likely to find the opposite--people who would want to use the Flashback Controller with the real Coleco (I THINK there are more issues with the emulation of the system than complaints about that controller).

I'm a dork! I thought Xevious and Pole Position 2 required a 2 button controller.

Oh well, I'm good for future purchases that require it.

Anyone have list of games that require 2 bottons?

One good thing about the seagull 7800 adapter is I dont have to hold the "B" button down when

turning on my Harmony cart to get the genesis controller functioning. But the bad news is any 2600

rom thats been hacked to support 2 bottons doesn't work. Like omega race.

anyone got any cheap common 7800 games they'd like to goto a good home?

Thanks all...

I'm a dork! I thought Xevious and Pole Position 2 required a 2 button controller.

Oh well, I'm good for future purchases that require it.

Anyone have list of games that require 2 bottons?

Xevious gameplay improves with separate bomb and gun controls. With a one-button stick both drop/fire with every press.

Here's a list:

http://www.atari7800.org/7800list.htm

Are you saying the 7800 controllers deliver correct two button play through the Colecovision? If so, that is great news! That puts us halfway to the finish line.

My big Colecovision treasure trove included a dead console, so the R&D process has temporarily stalled out again. I now have two dead consoles, so I guess I am off to the Colecovision forum to see if I can find some tips for reviving these things.

Yes, for the games in my collection it does. The only game I'm not sure about is Tarzan. I'll have to test it again. I always use the 7800 controller for 2 button Colecovision games like H.E.R.O. And Cosmic Avenger.

Xevious gameplay improves with separate bomb and gun controls. With a one-button stick both drop/fire with every press.

Here's a list:

http://www.atari7800.org/7800list.htm

my cart must be goofy or something. Both B and C buttons do guns and bombs at the same time.

the C button works fine in Pole Position 2 for the brakes.

my cart must be goofy or something. Both B and C buttons do guns and bombs at the same time.

the C button works fine in Pole Position 2 for the brakes.

I believe it was Trebor who solved this for me as I had the same issue....it has something to do with the difficulty switches on front of the 7800--but for the life of me right now I can't say how to set them to get individual button play.