IGNORED

MFM Hard Drive replacement

Gazoo

He has the Gerbers for the layout on the site. I can always do an order for 10 of them and we can see what happens if you want to build and test one. . .I should probably let the Insane one play with one of these too.

That might prove interesting. What is the daughterboard that plugs into it, though? That looks like some commercially made item, it doesn't look homemade with all that tiny surface mount stuff on it.

Gazoo

• 1 year later...

this looks cool and i have both the pers and hfdc to test on

Greg

Hello Greg, do you have a photo of how the main cable from the personality card to the controller that is mounted with the hard drive,runs. I replaced some caps on the personality card that were leaking and in the letter that I had received with the unit when I bought it, said to make sure that cable was routed correctly, or damage to the card would occur. The previous owner had sent it to me connected and the side that connected to the personality card had been marked 'up', now that marking is gone. Thanks, if you or someone here has a good picture, I would like to test it as soon as possible.

Hello Greg, do you have a photo of how the main cable from the personality card to the controller that is mounted with the hard drive,runs. I replaced some caps on the personality card that were leaking and in the letter that I had received with the unit when I bought it, said to make sure that cable was routed correctly, or damage to the card would occur. The previous owner had sent it to me connected and the side that connected to the personality card had been marked 'up', now that marking is gone. Thanks, if you or someone here has a good picture, I would like to test it as soon as possible.

I do not, but I'll see what i can do next time I have things apart.. I have mine marked too looks like the ribbon cable on mine has the red line down on the pers card side.. will have to take things apart to get to the other side

I do not, but I'll see what i can do next time I have things apart.. I have mine marked too looks like the ribbon cable on mine has the red line down on the pers card side.. will have to take things apart to get to the other side

That may be all I needed to know, as the inside board has a 1 at what I presume to be pin 1, so that side should be self explaining. What you just said will probably suffice. Thanks

fingers crossed.. the manual says the cable is "keyed" but i don't think mine is..

Greg

Well there is a slot on the fingers of the connection about four up(I believe, don't have the card here at work), that may be the key they are talking about. some of the old ti floppy cable(you remember those:)had that), that or that red line you mentioned, mine is very faded. Thanks

confirmed my pin1 indicator on the cable is at the bottom of the personality card connector and so is the notch

Thank you for the confirmation, I can try tonight to see if the card and controller will operate without blowing caps, then at one time there was software that would allow one to format the MFM drive to 15 meg, do you or any one have access to this disk for an image? Thanks

attached

i have two versions i am not 100% sure which is newer, but there was some work done to improve the tools imho don't try and copy a LOT with it at once it either runs out of memory or corrupts.. a few files at a time are ok

Greg

WDSFLOP.dsk

WDS1-UT.dsk

WDSFLOP2.dsk

WDS1¯UTBKU.dsk

• Like 3

attached

i have two versions i am not 100% sure which is newer, but there was some work done to improve the tools imho don't try and copy a LOT with it at once it either runs out of memory or corrupts.. a few files at a time are ok

Greg

Thanks again Greg, hopefully I'll have this card operation soon.

• Like 1

thanks for the disks Greg. I will dig out my card and the adapter, to have a first run.

fingers crossed, but not while mounting :)

Schmitzi, Is there supposed to be a capacitor in the circled area, mine looks like something had been removed from this spot and if so I want to make it right? Thanks sir.

post-41593-0-63388200-1461066372_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-09903100-1461066386_thumb.jpg

post-41593-0-78307000-1461066529_thumb.png

Hi,

I was a brave badass and anxiously opened my card :)

so, here are some pics. I have a battery, or an accu ??? Don´t know....

But maybe it helps.

xXx

attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-04-no.jpg

attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-05.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-06.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-07.JPG

attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-08.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-09.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-10.JPG

attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-11.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-13.JPG attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-12.JPG

..and the MFM-Adapter:

attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-21-WD1001.jpg attachicon.gifMyArc-WDS100--RMS-22-WD1001.jpg

Can you tell what voltage that battery is? is it a ni-cad or li-on? Is it a 1.2 or 3.6 volt? looks like it kept the time circuit working, the 58174 chip below it. probably the same as the Geneve or the Watchamacallit on my HFDC. Thanks

probably 3.6v nicad.. I'd get it out of there before it leaks I intend to do so with mine.. Look for any corrosion around it and clean it off if there is any before it eats the board..

Greg

PS: Good cleaning advice:

1) Remove the board
(2) Clean by either method with toothbrush, brushing in the direction of traces, NOT across them
(a) Spraying with vinegar
(b) using a 3 part Baking Soda and 1 part distilled paste
(3) use different toothbrush to rinse and brush with distilled water
(4) Use litmus paper to test for alkalinity. When the red paper remains red, the solution has been neutralized

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1