IGNORED

Ralph H. Baer Passes Away at 92

Albert

I remember about 12 years ago, when I was still in high school, sending Ralph an inane question via email regarding the Odyssey line of game systems. He took the time to respond, politely noting that he was only involved with the original model and had nothing to do with all the ones that followed from Magnavox.

It's not much, but in retrospect it says a lot to me, about how much he appreciated the interest in his work and accomplishments, and how incredible it was that even in his 70s (and much later) he was eager to connect with fans online.

A genuinely nice man, it seems, and I'm glad that he belatedly received recognition for helping to start an industry. Rest in peace, sir.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr Baer for bringing joy to me for many years and also joy to my kids.

I met him at one of the Philly Classics and actually got to play verse him on the Brown Box. I took the first point thinking that his reflexes were slipping with old age, and then he went ahead on a 10 point tear leaving me in the dust. I'm thinking I got played there ;)

• Like 4

Had to come back to the Old Guard after hearing the news. I hope there's one thing that those of us on the older game sites (DP, AA, et. al) can take comfort in:
We held his banner high From the start. I'd like to think our support of his efforts were the initial snowball roll that turned into the Smithsonian donations and the National Medal of Technology.

God bless you Mr. Baer. It was a highlight of my life to meet you in 2000.

Hi guys,

Rest in peace Mr Baer, I hope you continue to play video games in Heaven!

Interesting enough, I have a friend that is studying to be a Rabbi after he gets his B.A.. He asked me what a good term paper that is due in June that includes a known American. I told him about Ralph Baer seeing he came from a Jewish background in Germany, and should take him into consideration! After telling him that he invented home video games and co-created "Simon and Super Simon", he was interested on doing so

Hope it works out for him!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

R.I.P. Ralph. I actually just found out the news today and I'm bummed. :( I didn't know Ralph personally but he took the time to have a few email conversations with me and autographed a few odyssey items for me. It was very cool of him to take the time to do this.

Sad. He seemed like a nice guy in the video clips, and he attended retro-gaming shows and such. What a guy!

He also regularly opened his home to fans, journalists, historians, archivists and more. Spending the day (or days) with them, bringing them down to his basement lab to show his latest project, etc. I was one of those fortunate enough to do that, staying there for a week several years ago, and it's a memory I'll always cherish.

• Like 3