IGNORED

Jacques Groslouis

orion1052003

It is with much, much sadness that I learned of the death of Jacques Groslouis. He was a great friend who I knew through the phone, email, skype, and letters in the mail. I never actually met him in person. He helped me learn TI BASIC and XB. He helped me try to write 3 game programs and other programs. He gave awards to TIer's of note until right before his death, and he still could think in complex programming ways terms even in old age. He was very generous helpful and nice. I even referred to him as 'Mon Oncle', My uncle in French. He was my 'TI mentor'. I hadn't talked to him lately, and when he didn't respond to a few of my emails, I googled his name, and sure enough.

http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-450740-jacques-jack-groslouis.html

Although he had cancer, he seemed available and in better health lately, so It must have been something sudden. I knew him for over 10 years, he was always helpful, and I miss him powerfully already. Frankly, I feel terrible. To remember the good times, he was always there to help me, impart his knowledge, and I enjoyed being his friend.

James

• Like 5

So sad to hear of this. I never met Jacques; but, his exchanges on this forum were always helpful. I liked his humor, as well.

I am disappointed when we lose a member of the community. Even more so knowing that I did not get to know the person -- I feel that I have missed out on what could have been a great relationship and another friend. As a community we hurt when we lose someone, but more importantly we are better for having had that person to begin with. Yes, we have lost far too many.

I remember some interaction with Jacques (jacquesg) and reading some of his recent posts. Spritely, friendly, and helpful fellow, indeed. Anyone who has communication with his family, please deliver my condolences and gratitude.

I wrote this as a eulogy for my uncle last year, and I feel it applies everywhere:

I heard it lamented in a movie that we seem to reach a time when “life stops giving us things and starts

taking them away.” Sage though this sounds, my own experiences reveal to me a generous flaw within

this musing. While there are many people we have known whom are no longer amongst us in this

world, every one has left behind bountiful traces of themselves.

We ... mourn his passing and ... celebrate his life: though it may seem [he] has been taken from us,

he continues to give far more and longer than we may conceive, and we in turn shall give while we are

here and long after we have left.

• Like 1

I remember him also, traded many a letter with him even before the days of email, still have some of original postal letters.

He was one of my first customers also, buying devices from OPA, he was great friend.

I still have my MaxiMem, he was one that talk me into buying it, and even tho not as great as the Gram-Kracker, it was still one of best Gram devices out there at the time.

Still works today, I should plug it in and boot it up for as a way of remembering this great TI'er.

Sad news for sure.

• Like 3

I miss my friend Jacques. I remember when he first got his HSGPL card, shortly after I got mine. I sent him a crapload of disks of stuff I had been working on for it. He was incredibly grateful for this small favor and thus began a great exchange and friendship throughout the years to come.

RIP Jacques. :_(

• Like 2

Hmm. I know this most likely hits a the 'wrong feeling' due to what just happen.

But does anyone have contact with Jacques family still.

It would be great to see if some of his 'TI99 treasures' would find a loving home for them.

Sorry to say, but normally after a love one passes, the survivors just look at the stuff and 'see junk' for quick yard sale.

Might be too late to arrange now, but would be good idea to look into, and I am sure Jacques would love to see his collection having love with good solid TI99'er, instead of finding a dusty home in garbage or worse a landfill site someplace.

Hmm. I know this most likely hits a the 'wrong feeling' due to what just happen.

It would be great to see if some of his 'TI99 treasures' would find a loving home for them.

Sorry to say, but normally after a love one passes, the survivors just look at the stuff and 'see junk' for quick yard sale.

Might be too late to arrange now, but would be good idea to look into, and I am sure Jacques would love to see his collection having love with good solid TI99'er, instead of finding a dusty home in garbage or worse a landfill site someplace.

Agreed. Someone please contact his family so his treasures can live on.

• Like 1

Agreed. Someone please contact his family so his treasures can live on.

Third'd. It may seem like vultures picking bones to some, but considering the TI was a passion of his it would be a shame for all of his work and collection to be lost.

• Like 1

My guess is that, considering his significant involvement with the TI community and his awareness of his limited time, he prepared for this. But, nevertheless, I concur.

...lee

Jacques Groslouis was a member of the TI99 HOF, or TI-99 Hall of Fame. He was active on the TI groups such as Atariage, TI group #1, TI group #2, etc. He wrote the article "Using RANDOMIZE with seeds" on September 20, 2009 and "Getting There From Here", about connecting the TI to modern computers. He wrote the games SUDOKU and C99 Games and FRUSTRATE. He converted the games Al Capone, Labyrinth Inferno, and TI Sweeper. He dabbled in Assembly Language and was well versed in the Molesworth and Lottrup books. He was very knowledgable about FunnelWeb and wrote and article about that computer environment.

Jacques was a retired accountant and member of the Rotary Club. He enjoyed visiting with his extended family and taking his wife to their favorite restaurant. He was a person that was always kind and helpful. I couldn't say a bad thing about him, and I couldn't even say the same thing for myself. Not only was he helpful, but he often went out of his way to help. He mentored me in TI, and taught me most all I know about Extended Basic, TI Basic, and was helping begin to learn Assembly Language. He was a very nice man, and a great friend. I sorely miss him, no doubt. I would often Skype him, and look out his snowy window or gaze at his TI setup with computer, PEB, books, and disks. We often stopped talking about computers and begin to chit chat in general. He was a positive role model and an endearing person. Although I never met the man in person, I have talked to him on the phone, Skyped, emailed, mailed letters, and received disks and books from him in the mail. I enjoyed talking to him, often several times a week, and working on programs and problems together. He was a French Canadian who spoke mostly English. He visited a couple of the big TI gatherings throughout the years, such as I believe the Lima fair. He was a proofreader for many a document on the CYC disk, and I think a friend of the venerable Charlie Good.

Je' t'aime, mon Oncle.

Je' t'aime.

GROSLOUIS, JACQUES "JACK" - 1935 - 2014 - Bathurst - Jacques "Jack" Groslouis, 79, of Riverbank Dr., Bathurst, passed away on Tuesday, September 30, 2014, at the Chaleur Regional Hospital, Bathurst. Born in Ottawa, Ont., he was the only son of the late Anita Groslouis. Jack, a retired partner from KPMG with 54 years of service, was elected a fellow of the New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants, past president of the NBICA, life member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, a Junior Achievement Advisor, past Treasurer of the Bathurst Rotary Club and a Paul Harris Award recipient. He is survived by his wife, Charlotte (Montion) Groslouis; three sons: Robert (Helen) of Lower Coverdale, N.B., Peter (Kim) of Orleans, Ont. and Jean Paul (Mandi) of Riverview; two daughters: Lise Costello (Colin) of Lakeville, N.B., and Joanne Groslouis (Michael Lapointe) of Bathurst; seven grandchildren: Robin, Randi, McKenzie, Cassandra, Patrick, Spencer, Isabella and five great-grandchildren: Brynn, Shea, Avery, Rylie and Azlyn.
The body rested at Elhatton's Funeral Home (www.elhatton.com), Bathurst.
Funeral service will be celebrated on Friday, October 3, 2014 at 2 p.m. from Elhatton's Funeral Home Chapel, Bathurst. Donation in memory of Jack may be made to a charity of your choice.

post-19460-0-51580800-1418191567_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-73569700-1418191587_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-20786600-1418191614_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-82483400-1418191624_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-76788200-1418191658_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-29641200-1418191676_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-16861000-1418191709_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-45496700-1418257567_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-52099300-1418271411_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-94138800-1418271540_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-37391400-1418271550_thumb.jpg

Jacques.pdf

post-19460-0-95217600-1418271645_thumb.jpg

sudoku.txt

lottrup.doc

Labyrnth.dsk

Cap.dsk

Games.dsk

post-19460-0-85444400-1418271954_thumb.jpg

Getting There From Here.doc

post-19460-0-16438100-1419126042_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-69015900-1419126052_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-78414400-1419126063_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-21164600-1419126078_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-80217100-1419126093_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-05288700-1419126110_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-98770900-1419126120_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-88153300-1420849888_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-85060000-1420849899_thumb.jpg

JacquesSkype.tiff

post-19460-0-54885200-1420850017_thumb.jpg

Edited by orion1052003
  • Like 9

I tried contacting the house, but had a bad feeling about it. Sure enough, I think his wife answered and said, "Jack is dead." She then said, "I can't hear a word you're saying." and hung up. I will try contacting through the mail, as maybe that would be less upsetting. If they don't respond, then I will not try to contact them again.

I tried contacting the house, but had a bad feeling about it. Sure enough, I think his wife answered and said, "Jack is dead." She then said, "I can't hear a word you're saying." and hung up. I will try contacting through the mail, as maybe that would be less upsetting. If they don't respond, then I will not try to contact them again.

Good idea. Probably best not to push it. I wish I'd kept better touch with him; considering the way the year has gone, I should have.

Much sadness mixed with gratitude and appreciation for the man's contributions and his kindnesses.

Whether we were around "in the day" or are just now enjoying the TI 99/4A and other vintage machines, we're all standing on the shoulders of giants - many of them, like Jacques, known only to a few.

Cheers for a life well led.