IGNORED

Any former A8 Sysops?

scotty

I ran Crash City BBS here in the Detroit area for about 6 months until I had problems with a co-sysop and threw in the towel. I was running BBS Express Pro and even had some of the modules I wrote circulate worldwide. Was a great time whilst it lasted, but behind the scenes issues and ignorant folks who worked oh so very hard to crash my system just sucked all the fun out of it. It's a shame really. I had a great time running it, and if I could come across some stable TCP/IP BBS software I may even consider putting it up again. I do remember some awesome times, like all-nighters playing some of the door games I wrote, players (I had a 2-line system) would login, play for a while and when they logged off it became part of the game to entice any new logins to join the game. Like I said it was a blast. Defending against an Orcian Colo-Rectal Surgeon was almost as fun as it was graphic. Those were the days...

I know how you feel. Back when I have my BBS up years ago, I would get twits that would long on once and demand co-sysop access and then proceed to tell how he was going to make my bbs great..

I brought it back as telnet for a couple years ago. Most log in attempts were bots trying to get in as room or admin.. I did have a file leach from Sweden if I recall correctly that was a bit amusing.. I was also trying to get more active in ham radio at the time and decided to close the bbs and do more radio stuff.. in retrospect, I should have pulled the radio plug and kept the bbs going. I still have radios, but have really lost interest.. (long story) And yet again, I find myself thinking of breathing life back in to me BBS, it's preserved on a flash drive right as it was when I closed. It's tempting... I love tinkering with the software, seeing it all together. and I seem to be a bit of a masochist..

I ran a BBS back in 1991 but it was a Visual Basic Script board.. VBBS a mixture of A8, A16 and the original dirty pics.. DOOR GAMES are awesome!!

Just curious: what games were your favorites?

Also, do any of you former Atari 8-bit sysops have ATASCII animations stashed away?

• 7 months later...

My Dad and I ran "The Deadbeat BBS" on an Atari 8bit circa ~ 1986-1988 or so (sometime around late 87 or in 88 we switched to a 520ST). BBS Express (still have the floppy), Avatex 300/1200 modem, and a 10 or 20MB Supra drive at the time ; I'm actually in the middle of restoring some of the ATASCII graphics / animations and other stuff off of old floppies to my PC. I also restored an ATASCII 'maze generator' program for the BBS -- that would draw a room on screen, and then you'd tell it to go up/down/left/right/whatever and then it would load the next screen. For some reason I ran it on floppies instead of the HDD so it was quite 'non responsive' i'm sure :). 609-853-8084 was the number.. the area code at the time was for all of NJ, or at least all of southern NJ.

• Like 2