IGNORED

The Gamepad: Two years on

Rick Dangerous

I have come to the conclusion that I don't really like the gamepad. It's just too damn bulky and annoying. There isn't really a game that I wouldn't rather play with a pro controller.

I'm one of the biggest Wii U fans out there, I got mine on launch day, and have bought several for friends and family since. I think there are some cool uses for it sometimes, like touching the platforms to extend them in Super Mario Bros 3D world, or blowing on the mic in the same game (could have been done on a pro controller.)

Also, a house guest knocked my gamepad off my coffee table and now the left control stick won't depress, which really only affects certain titles like AC games and such that use every button. Nintendo wants $75 to fix it which is crazy because it's likely a $5 plastic part. So the expense/durability thing is an issue.

Lastly I don't think the second screen thing on a controller is a bad idea, I just think the gamepad went about it the wrong way, I think it should have been like a pro controller with a flip up part about the size of a 3DS XL screen that you could lock into place.

All in all it's been annoying to have to keep it near me to mess with it when I mostly just want to play with my pro controller.

Also, not all games supporting off screen play is a pain (should be mandatory) and I wish the range was just a little bit further so I could play upstairs in bed.

Oh well, how is everyone else feeling about the gamepad these days?

Sold my Wii u after 3 weeks. Not excited enough about the Zelda E3 trailer I guess. Played Mario kart 8 and its just more Mario kart. Played super Mario 3d world, nothing new. Have windwaker on my Wii. The leap from component to HD wasn't that impressive. I agree, the pro controller is the way to go. Playing on a little LCD screen on my controller gets annoying after playing on my 60". Good system, not much more than HD to me. I didnt play enough on it so I sold it an bought a vectrex.

I too think the gamepad is a bit too bulky. I mostly leave the Wii U to my daughters these days (though they play regularly on all of the consoles), but when I do play on it I tend to prefer to use the Pro Controller. Interestingly, my oldest daughter (10) has no issues with the gamepad.

Although partial support for certain features has been a common theme from Nintendo for the longest time, I too agree that it's unfortunate that not every game supports off-screen play. It really is one of the system's best features, even with the limited range. I suspect we'll get a sleeker, much more enjoyable (and portable) gamepad for Nintendo's next system, which may very well be a combined portable/console. It seems an inevitably for Nintendo to most maximize their relative strengths in comparison to the competition.

• Like 1

I didn't even know that the analog sticks clicked until reading this thread. I had a suspicion that they did, but I was always afraid to find out.

If there's anything that I personally dislike about the gamepad, it's the thought of damage occurring to it. The knowledge that I could go out today and buy a brand new replacement for $70 or so would definitely ease my mind. Instead, I feel like I have to treat it with kid gloves.

But add me to the Pro Controller bandwagon. If it's not for off-screen play, I let it sit most of the time (While it's needlessly on while it's sitting in the dock unused, due to another stupid design decision on Nintendo's part for the system OS to automatically turn the gamepad on when the system is powered up by a different controller).

Edited by Atariboy

I like the game pad. I find it pretty comfortable and the touch screen functionality is nice for my lazy-ass. Sometimes when I'm done with a game I just pull the stylus out and start browsing the web. It's nice being able to do that without having to get up and go grab my normal tablet. The battery life can be a nuisance but really I don't run into the issue that often (I don't usually have five hour sessions, at least not with the game pad). The potential damage of the controller is a very real issue, but I don't see it being much of a problem in my situation since I'm the only one that uses it and I don't have kids or animals running around here. I'm also pretty careful with my stuff. I can definitely see how these things will be problems for others, but right now neither is really an issue for me.

I'd like to eventually pick up a Wii U Pro Controller but haven't been able to justify the $50 since the game pad suits me well enough. Anything else (like Smash Bros.) I just use my old Wii controllers (a Wiimote and Classic Controller Pro combo primarily).

I for one, love the offscreen feature. I can even game from the bed without disturbing my fiance, something that's impossible without my other game systems. I also happen to be typing this right now on the Wii-U web browser. I will admit, however, that for longer gaming sessions, the PRO controller is more comfortable, even with large man hands. I also tend to perform best at Mario Kart 8 when using the PRO controller. I have no kids running around, so I'm not too worried about damaging it as I take care of my stuff. As for battery life, I leave my Gamepad tethered to an outlet most of the time, even when using it.

I haven't had my Wii U for even a year yet, but I like the gamepad. I do find myself, in games that use both screens, looking at the gamepad's screen an awful lot instead of the TV.

I do have issues with the battery life, however, and while the dock is nice for when I'm not using the Wii U, it's annoying to have to try to snap the adapter out of the dock to be able to charge while I'm playing.

I also wish they could have figured out some way to use the gamepad as a controller while in Wii mode...I mean, how hard could it really be?? Having the Wii (especially with Homebrew Channel) as essentially a handheld device, how perfect would that be?

I haven't had my Wii U for even a year yet, but I like the gamepad. I do find myself, in games that use both screens, looking at the gamepad's screen an awful lot instead of the TV.

I do have issues with the battery life, however, and while the dock is nice for when I'm not using the Wii U, it's annoying to have to try to snap the adapter out of the dock to be able to charge while I'm playing.

I also wish they could have figured out some way to use the gamepad as a controller while in Wii mode...I mean, how hard could it really be?? Having the Wii (especially with Homebrew Channel) as essentially a handheld device, how perfect would that be?

I will do one hell of a happy dance if / when I can easily use the Wii U controllers in the vWii homebrew stuff.

I have had this be a problem for me a few times at least in those occasions where I do have really long sessions (happened more when I first had the system). I've considered buying a separate charge adapter for it, that way I have the cradle one (which is great when the system is off), and one to charge the controller while playing. I doubt they are very expensive, especially if there are third party versions.

I also wish they could have figured out some way to use the gamepad as a controller while in Wii mode...I mean, how hard could it really be??

This is something I really wish they would figure out. I mean, it can act as a screen for Wii mode, why not have it be a controller? I'd much rather use the gamepad when I bust out sessions of Xenoblade than the Wiimote/Classic Controller combo.

Having the Wii (especially with Homebrew Channel) as essentially a handheld device, how perfect would that be?

Wait.. does the homebrew channel actually work on the Wii U??

I'd also love Classic Controller support, especially for off-screen play.

Many of my Wii games would be perfect for it like Data East Arcade Classics, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario All-Stars, etc. Then, there's the entire Wii Virtual Console lineup.

The cynic in me wouldn't be surprised if they're intentionally withholding the feature to push for folks to pay the upgrade fee for their Virtual Console downloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall I like the GamePad. I use the offscreen play functionality quite often really, which is my favorite and most used feature of it. Particularly in MK8, Rayman Legends and SM3DW.

Similar to Austin, I too have often started web browsing immediately after a game session and appreciate the ability to do that without having to go grab my tablet or computer or something.

As many others have noted however, I can't offhand think of a single game beyond NintendoLand (which is really a great collection) that utilizes the GamePad in a meaningful gameplay-related way.

And count me in the camp of those who are really cautious about breaking it over fear of not simply being able to run out and buy a new one. When my 5 year old plays and then jumps off the couch holding the GamePad with one hand to run over and show me something, I feel bad but instinctively yell "I've told you that I'd come over to you....keep that pad on the couch!" (not mean yelling, but how bad is that??). I really think that at some point they will sell them separately in Japan, though I never see it happening here in the States. So I already have my name on a list at Play-Asia, waiting for when they hopefully someday become available for sale on their own.

I like the gamepad. I have it on when playing Mario Kart with the Wii wheel and I put the horn on it so my two-year-old can go "BEEP BEEP." She loves it.

It's also decent for Netflix. I don't really use it as a controller, but more of a second screen. I've looked up recipes on it before and actually use the WiiTV program along with about a dozen other people.

• Like 1

Overall I like the GamePad. I use the offscreen play functionality quite often really, which is my favorite and most used feature of it. Particularly in MK8, Rayman Legends and SM3DW.

Similar to Austin, I too have often started web browsing immediately after a game session and appreciate the ability to do that without having to go grab my tablet or computer or something.

As many others have noted however, I can't offhand think of a single game beyond NintendoLand (which is really a great collection) that utilizes the GamePad in a meaningful gameplay-related way.

And count me in the camp of those who are really cautious about breaking it over fear of not simply being able to run out and buy a new one. When my 5 year old plays and then jumps off the couch holding the GamePad with one hand to run over and show me something, I feel bad but instinctively yell "I've told you that I'd come over to you....keep that pad on the couch!" (not mean yelling, but how bad is that??). I really think that at some point they will sell them separately in Japan, though I never see it happening here in the States. So I already have my name on a list at Play-Asia, waiting for when they hopefully someday become available for sale on their own.

Our pad hit the ground several times. Its tough...