IGNORED

TI-99/4A's without "Solid State Software" faceplate...

PeBo

I'm rebuilding my old TI system (ya, I'm that old) and in bidding on base units I've noticed an anomaly that I'm hoping someone might know something about.

The TI-99/4A's (original A's in aluminum and black, not the crap beige 3rd party software disabled "Computer 99/4a") had a faceplate (tag?) that read "Solid State Software" at the bottom/front of the Cartridge port area.

In shopping for a replacement, I've noticed that some have this and some don't...

the ones' that don't, it's obvious that it has not been removed, it's just never been there. Does anyone know if the is a production run issue, or a Europe VS North America Issue, or maybe even an indicator of refurbished units.

Can't seen to find an answer anywhere. As long as it boots up I guess I'm not too concerned (not being a collector, who I would think would be very concerned about such things). I'm just curious.

post-40994-0-97446000-1418414165_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeBo

I'm rebuilding my old TI system (ya, I'm that old) and in bidding base units I've noticed an anomaly that I'm hoping someone might know something about.

The TI-99/4A's (original A's in aluminum and black, not the crap beige 3rd party software disabled "Computer 99/4a") had a faceplate (tag?) that read "Solid State Software" at the bottom/front of the Cartridge port area.

In shopping for a replacement, I've noticed that some have this and some don't...

the ones' that don't, it's obvious that it has not been removed, it's just never been there. Does anyone know if the is a production run issue, or a Europe VS North America Issue, or maybe even an indicator of refurbished units.

Can't seen to find an answer anywhere. As long as it boots up I guess I'm not too concerned (not being a collector, who I would think would be very concerned about such things). I'm just curious.

attachicon.gifwith-without.jpg

Here are a couple of threads that talk about it:

It was basically a cover-up for a volume slide switch slot that was part of the 99/4 but never implemented on the 99/4A. They apparently used the same mold initially for the upper case.

...lee

• Like 1

Here are a couple of threads that talk about it:

It was basically a cover-up for a volume slide switch slot that was part of the 99/4 but never implemented on the 99/4A. They apparently used the same mold initially for the upper case.

...lee

Thanks...your links and the post from Ksarul cleared it up.

With as few as 25% not having it, from a collectors perspective, I guess they should be more desirable, but from this enthusiast's perspective, it just feels like it's missing.

It's the one in the best condition that I've found though, so it's likely to be the one I'll end up with. Maybe I'll find a dead badged unit for a buck or two and remove the badge and move it over to my blank unit! It will miss the ridge of the hidden volume control opening, but at least it will look less...

...naked!

Edited by PeBo

And when the molds wore out (or when they decided that it was more cost-effective to make a new one to reduce parts count), the new molds didn't have the slot anymore. From my experience, between 25 and 35 percent of the black and silver consoles don't have the plate.

It is surprising how much a simple "fix" to cover design change, improved the look of the machine. I'm sure it's because my original machine back in '83 DID have the badge, but to me the machines without the badge just don't look right.

At least it's not beige!...why would any company intentionally try to look like everyone else (using an industry dominant colour of the day) when they had such a classy look already? The aluminium/black chassis continues to look sexy to this day. I'm sure every present day TI enthusiast has heard at least one "wow! what's that??". (Immediately before hearing "Wait a second...How old ARE you????")

• Like 2

At least it's not beige!...why would any company intentionally try to look like everyone else (using an industry dominant colour of the day) when they had such a classy look already? The aluminium/black chassis continues to look sexy to this day.

cost cutting.

The case went from 6 or 7 parts (counting the switch) down to 4. And that metal overlay was defiantly an unnecessary expenses.

Plus the beige would use less color in the mold thus cutting cost more.

May not looked as classy but by then TI was all but giving the console away.

cost cutting.

The case went from 6 or 7 parts (counting the switch) down to 4. And that metal overlay was defiantly an unnecessary expenses.

Plus the beige would use less color in the mold thus cutting cost more.

May not looked as classy but by then TI was all but giving the console away.

I asked the question, but DID know the answer...was more of a comment on esthetics than corporate realities.

Back in '80's, I bought my TI for $800 CAD (that was $641.38 US - I don't have impressive memory, I just looked it up). Within 2 months, they started to drop in price until Eaton's (Canadian department store chain) was selling them for $129.99 ( $105 US). By the end you could find them for as low as $49! At one point, Eaton's was selling the Odyssey2 for about $20 higher than the 4A!!!

I do understand why they had to cut costs, but in retrspect, if you're trying to attract people to your product, maybe making it look like everyone else is not the greatest strategy. But as you said, the 4A was already dead in the eyes of TI by that time, so I guess it didn't much matter.

I sometimes wonder if the TI computer marketing division eventually went to work for the Tramiels...they both sure knew how to use bad marketing to destroy exceptional machines. (Man, I would have loved to have had a chance to own a Falcon 030 before it died!)

Never had a TI with their "solid state software" moniker on it, but wouldn't mind owning one someday! No nostalgia associated with it of course, just think it's pretty cool.

I only owned one TI "back in the day", and it DID have the badge. Guess that dates when I bought it.

I am curious though, did the QI machines have an improved GROM connector??? I must have replaced my original connector a dozen times...it would become finicky within a few months of use, becoming nearly unusable. If QI meant "Quality Improvements", that was one improvement that was desperately needed!

One of my only negative memories of my 4A.

The original GROM connectors actually worked pretty good--once you removed the felt-of-death from the connector housing. That oil-soaked felt was supposed to keep the contacts clean, but it gathered so much metal gunk that it became a conductive bridge over some of the pins. With some cartridges, it would still work fine--but then it would crash consistently with others. I still use one machine that I bought in the mid-eighties--and I've never replaced the connector (I just removed the felt).

I sometimes wonder if the TI computer marketing division eventually went to work for the Tramiels...they both sure knew how to use bad marketing to destroy exceptional machines. (Man, I would have loved to have had a chance to own a Falcon 030 before it died!)

LOL!

So true.

I bought 2 Beige consoles from the States last year, both are non QI with 1981 on the boot screen. I suspect there are more 1981 beige units around than the 2.2 1983 ones.

Not sure why people seem to hate the beige unit so much, but it's a lot easier to find a good condition beige unit as opposed to a banged up

Aluminium and black console.

And Yes I do like the look of the original unit, just a lot harder to keep in good condition.

My original TI was a PAL beige console (went to computer heaven in the 90's) and I am not aware of any PAL units that were 2.2 QI.

Even though TI dumped hundreds of thousands of these on the overseas markets in 1983, it's not as simple as just getting rid of unsold US stock, as

in that case all motherboards would have to have been modified for PAL. They were obviously all made for the overseas market in the first place.

I realise thats gotten a bit off topic, but I thought I would add my 2c to the endless Beige vs Black/silver console debates. :)

What I like about the black consoles without the "Solid State" badge is that the keyboard overlay tray is redesigned (similar to the beige consoles) so that the overlays can stack.

I am of two minds about that. I like the idea of stacking the strips, though I have never had the need to do so, but I also very much like the slide-in that holds them in place.

I am of two minds about that. I like the idea of stacking the strips, though I have never had the need to do so, but I also very much like the slide-in that holds them in place.

The previous owner of mine must have thought the slide-in didn't hold it sufficiently in place as the default strip has been glued.

• 6 years later...