IGNORED

Inside the Source Code - Fight For Life - Francois Bertrand

Clint Thompson

I originally wanted to create a video series (didn't get past some intro video but you can see the loaded 3D wireframe of FFL characters I mention later in this post in a short clip https://animoto.com/play/fRNM6Eqwu7VgoytacG7eNg) but that's more demanding and time consuming than I currently have... that and this is the best place for discussion of the topic regarding source code anyway.

Branching off from both topics:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231545-lost-interview-with-francois-yves-bertrand/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221374-pong-2000/

I don't really remember hearing anything about a Pong 2000 and to be honest, wouldn't think such a game could be worth an asking $59+ price tag at the time. Then again, this apparently had been intended to be a platformer / character based game, which sounds like a terrible idea imo. Regardless, I did find what would be probably the only remaining source tidbits of whatever there was of Pong 2000 - sort of used within Fight For Life, no less.

The first giveaway is that the source code file is titled PONG2000.S and while it's easy to say this has nothing to do with that, the fact that it most likely borrowed some elements for collission detection somehow seems evident - how or why for FFL is beyond me - and this could be entirely irrelevent. Afterall, I'm no programmer... but I do have time to sort of dig through everything hours on end because it's kind fun. Out of all the things that you can find within the source directory of Fight For Life (Ruiner Pinball Beta, Missile Command VR Alpha, multiple FFL builds, etc.) I kind of find it suprising that there isn't any other Pong 2000 source.. kind of ashame but maybe not considering what the game was going to be.

I haven't touched base with Francois in quite a long time and not really sure I can justify reaching out just to pry some information regarding Pong 2000... afterall, it doesn't seem like much effort would have went into it considering Atari was on its deathbed anyway. He probably didn't get very far with it outside of some basic gameplay, if even that far. Anyways, it's fascinating to kind of chunk through the sources and noting the comments made within the code as it gives you an idea what was going on. (well, not specifically with FFL because there isn't really that much interesting commentary)

It would be nice to compile the source but I'm unsure it's all there and wouldn't exactly know where to begin - I don't have a dosbox to link anything nor do I currently have a flash or skunk to even try it out on. I did manage to load some of the 3D characters and it's cool to see the animations play out in real-time.. I think it would be cool to disable some of the textures in the game to see how it alters the frame rate. Or create a side scrolling demo of sorts using the same models/characters to create an entirely different game. The TGA backgrounds look fantastic scaled down, it's a shame on-screen they don't look nearly as beautiful.

post-985-0-74720600-1418425877_thumb.png

post-985-0-29898800-1418425979_thumb.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 6:36 PM, Clint Thompson said:

I originally wanted to create a video series (didn't get past some intro video but you can see the loaded 3D wireframe of FFL characters I mention later in this post in a short clip https://animoto.com/play/fRNM6Eqwu7VgoytacG7eNg) but that's more demanding and time consuming than I currently have... that and this is the best place for discussion of the topic regarding source code anyway.

Happened upon this thread somehow, curious about the 3D wireframes mentioned... but the animoto link no longer works. You wouldn't happen to still have that video somewhere, @Clint Thompson?