IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] BLBird

mvdsteenoven

BLBird is a Flappy Bird clone for the Aquarius computersystem. It is written in 100% BLBasic, without any additional machinecode.

post-27598-0-24147400-1418565566_thumb.png post-27598-0-45499500-1418565575_thumb.png

The object of the game is to navigate the BLBIRD through the openings of the pilars. Flap your wings and gain altitude by pressing SPACE.

The source code is included with BLBasic v2.0

blbird.rom

Edited by mvdsteenoven
  • Like 8

Is there a way to actually play this on an Aquarius? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm sure Martin will correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understand it, it would have to be burned to a cartridge ROM. I am going to (finally!) be working on my RAM cartridge again soon, and that will give you the option of downloading the code from a PC to the Aquarius.

By the way, for anyone interested in using BLBasic for creating their own games, I am able to put your finished game onto an inexpensive ROM cartridge, so you'll have a permanent "Plug and Play" copy to add to your collection.

• Like 3

Good question, indeed.

Traditionally, it would require an EPROM programmer and a simple circuitboard to get this running on actual hardware. A RAM cartridge, like Jay is working on, would be an excellent way to get your own built ROM images onto the Aquarius.

Thanks for answering, Jay.

Regs

Martin

• Like 1

I have a complete Aquarius I have never opened up. Bought it because I just stated collecting INTV stuff. Got the Aquarius, mini Expander in the Big Box. Got a few carts, the tape deck, the printer and the modem and the 8K RAM (I think - Could be 4K)….LOL Maybe If I have bought the multi-cart I would have set it up.

Be happy to trade for something cool for INTV.

Cool! I need to get an Aquarius again, and actually play it!

• 2 weeks later...

I get an ?SN Error message at the bottom of the title page and the title page keeps reloading, in Virtual Aquarius.

Works ok when loading the source and when I LDUMP'd the rom and tried it again.

ZIP compression kills it. I just compressed my LDUMP (with peaZIP), Decompressed it and got the SN error.

Really amazed at how short the program is and that title screen auto-navigating bird is awesome.

Thanks, it is simply done using the GET/PUT commands. First I take a snapshot (GET) from the first column and next a snapshot of the latter part. Then I PUT the last part in front and move the first column to the end.

In the main game I use SCR LEFT to scroll the full screen.

Regs,

Martin

• Like 1

Where is Jay S? He did every other Aquarius game! :)

I'm getting very close to getting my Aquarius war room set back up after years stowed away in boxes. I hope to become more active in the Aquarius scene soon. (I am just so happy that there is an actual Aquarius scene, thanks to all you creative coders and hardware tinkers!)

Unfortunately, since BL Bird is a cart ROM image, I would have to rig up something to capture video from the VAQ. It's a shame, because this is exactly the kind of exciting new stuff that needs to get more attention.

I am not at all territorial over the Aquarius video production, so anyone else who has the ability and time, is strongly encouraged show a BL Bird video (and anything else, for that matter).

• Like 2

I'm getting very close to getting my Aquarius war room set back up after years stowed away in boxes. I hope to become more active in the Aquarius scene soon. (I am just so happy that there is an actual Aquarius scene, thanks to all you creative coders and hardware tinkers!)

Unfortunately, since BL Bird is a cart ROM image, I would have to rig up something to capture video from the VAQ. It's a shame, because this is exactly the kind of exciting new stuff that needs to get more attention.

I am not at all territorial over the Aquarius video production, so anyone else who has the ability and time, is strongly encouraged show a BL Bird video (and anything else, for that matter).

I'm still holding out for a reasonably priced Aquarius as I can't justify some of the prices at the moment. A lot of my Retro stuff is in the "hoarders room" as the wife puts it with my comic collection and most of our furniture as our house rennovation is taking for longer than it should have.

Good to see your post here Jay, it jogged my memory on my mini Aquarius Project - I'm working on replacment character sets for Invaders & N-Vaders using various ripped sprite sheets from the original arcade game. An issue I am encountering is that It would seem that Space Invaders used 16 wide x 8 high pixel invaders, whereas the Aquarius interpretations use 2x2 characters so am having to tweek the invaders to make the look right :) I'll post work to date at the weekend.

• Like 2

Hey JayB:

Could we burn this and run it on the Supercart I? What Rom size do we need? I guess I could dig out my Aquarius. Or burn it and send it to Jay S.

Chris

All these Jays around here is making things confusing! :-D

I've been frustratingly preoccupied with work lately (beginning of the semester and all), but I've got plenty of cartridge supplies, so I'd be glad to put BLBird onto a cartridge for anyone who's interested. Just send me a PM!

(Hopefully things will settle down soon and I'll be able to get back to my own projects.)

• Like 3

All these Jays around here is making things confusing! :-D

I've been frustratingly preoccupied with work lately (beginning of the semester and all), but I've got plenty of cartridge supplies, so I'd be glad to put BLBird onto a cartridge for anyone who's interested. Just send me a PM!

(Hopefully things will settle down soon and I'll be able to get back to my own projects.)

Why not just do a release! :) They released the flappy bird for the Atari. All 4 of us would buy it. :)

• Like 1

Why not just do a release! :) They released the flappy bird for the Atari. All 4 of us would buy it. :)

Well, I just burned my first BLBird ROM, and it works perfectly with my boards (not that I doubted it would, but I don't like promising anything until I've tested it first).

BLBird is Martin's game, so I won't charge anything more for it than the cost of materials, including a very simple label. So, if anyone else wants a cartridge, I can build plenty more for $10 each plus shipping. Just send me a PM if you're interested!

• Like 3

Well, I just burned my first BLBird ROM, and it works perfectly with my boards (not that I doubted it would, but I don't like promising anything until I've tested it first).

BLBird is Martin's game, so I won't charge anything more for it than the cost of materials, including a very simple label. So, if anyone else wants a cartridge, I can build plenty more for $10 each plus shipping. Just send me a PM if you're interested!

Great to see that the first real cartridge produced with BLbasic is a fact now. However at the moment I am not going to buy a cartridge based BLBird, but I will wait for the moment you can bundle it with any future release from Synapse Technologies. :)

Edited by Aquaman
  • Like 1