IGNORED

The 2014 AtariAge Holiday Greeting Cart Is Here!

Albert

I haven't read the reviews, yet. I want to get more play time first. I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned to high quality color manuals. I love how the 4 games in The Byte Before Christmas are connected in story form in the manual. Both manuals are first rate. I love it!!

• Like 3

I haven't read the reviews, yet. I want to get more play time first. I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned to high quality color manuals. I love how the 4 games in The Byte Before Christmas are connected in story form in the manual. Both manuals are first rate. I love it!!

Quite a bit of time goes into creating the manuals, so it's nice to see your comments about them. :)

..Al

My daughter enjoyed Bell Hopper so much she wanted to take the manual to school to read the story.

• Like 2

I've gotten past one of the gas cans once without hitting it, although I think there was some luck involved there. It helps to have some momentum and jump right at the very end of the platform to get to those hard to reach areas. Patience (and practice) is definitely key.. :)

If you think level 9 is tough, wait 'till you get to 10! :P

If you think level 10 is tough, wait until you get to...

Well, that would be telling. ;)

Despite playing it hundreds of times, I'll still die on level 9 due to carelessness . If I'm patient, I'm fine. The YouTube video may help.

Stay Frosty 2 went through a lot of level design testing and tweaks. The original Stay Frosty was far too easy, with almost no risk on most levels. We wanted the sequel to be much more challenging, so you'd have to be attentive even on "easy" levels, and that there would be some levels that would take some time to figure your way through. We made sure the game was beatable and didn't have any "cheap deaths" or unfair levels, but it will certainly put good gamers to the test.

• Like 1

Having a blast with SF2 so far! Don't think it's too tough at all and appreciate the work that went into the level design. Challenging at times, but not "too" tough. The first Stay Frosty was an excellent (and fairly easy) mini game in its own right, but SF2 really is a great step forward in the games evolution and should be keeping peoples attention a lot longer than the first. :)

And Christmas Adventure really surprised. Hate to admit it, but not a big fan of the original Adventure and never really was. Christmas Adventure bumps the graphics up big time so at least now, the game looks and feels more like a real adventure game. Looking forward to getting to play that a bit more in the coming months.

• Like 2

On SF2, I have made it to level 19 once (and, so far, only once). Even after having cleared level 10 more than a dozen times now, it is still quite challenging and I die on that one more than any other level (again, so far).

Similar to its predecessor, I like how most of the boards have different ways you can go about clearing them.

The biggest surprise I have had so far is when I made what should have been a fatal error on a relatively easy level and discovered a bonus room! Part of me wants to try the same "error" on higher levels, but then another part of me always wants to keep going forwards.

Stay Frosty 2. It gradually gets harder like you said until the level with really short platforms, I don't think I could beat it if you gave me a million years to try.

a safer way to finish level 9:

post-3056-0-87445800-1419779949_thumb.png

• Jump all the way up the left side of the level
  • A single jump will land you on the present platform

NOTE: you will slide/bounce off the little moving platforms

• A single jump over to the gas can
  • Do the same, but jump all the way up the right side, then make your way left picking off fireballs when you can safely do it
  • Repeat one last time to get back to the right, picking off fireballs when its safe to do so

TIP: the snowman's base is wider when he's slightly melted, which makes it easier to land on platforms.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 3

I made if to stage 9 on my first try. Used both continues. Dem gas cans... Derp.

The biggest surprise I have had so far is when I made what should have been a fatal error on a relatively easy level and discovered a bonus room! Part of me wants to try the same "error" on higher levels, but then another part of me always wants to keep going forwards.

Bonus room? How do you get in? PM me or use spoiler tags if you post it here.

OK. This is going to be my first time trying to post anything in a "spoiler" section, so forgive me if this goes astray (though I should let Prince fans know I was not, in fact, dreaming when I wrote this). Here is how I am able to consistently get to the only bonus room I have found so far. There may be other ways to get to it, but I'm not willing to risk the effort by possibly losing lives to try other techniques:

On level 8, clear all of the flames and ice cubes, get the presents on the left and right sides of the level, touch the snowflake and then clear the screen of all new cubes. Now get the only remaining item on the screen: the present on the moving platform. Now ride the platform back to either as far left or right as it will go (actually, you can step off at any point, but you'll thank me later for this little additional info). Voila! Bonus room!

I would love to know if anybody has found other bonus rooms so far. Also, anybody made it past level 19? That's as far I have been to date, and I've been down to one life and no remaining continues each time. Needless to say, I can't clear it.

Wanted to throw my two cents here about technique in general and then level 9 specifically:

First, my three techniques that I use overall:

1: Don't be afraid to bounce all around like an idiot. On the levels where there are very small moving platforms or levels where the floors are invisible, simply holding down fire and bouncing around in the direction of where I need to go has helped me more than anything else.

2: Is the level more than one screen long? It is usually a good idea to get to the farthest end first to see if you have any nasty surprises waiting.

3: This is a two-parter: do not use anything unless you need to and hit the gas cans as soon as possible. While most of the levels can be cleared in different ways, almost everything is in a specific place for a reason. In the higher levels, it is important to keep yourself intact by using the ice cubes, but save the ice chests for when they are absolutely necessary. Then there's the gas cans: they're going to replenish all of the flames, so why not get that first and then take out the flames just once?

So then...my approach to level 9, which I would say I now die on in only roughly 1 out of every 10 times:

Per my techniques above, get those gas cans (and both of them) as soon as you can, 'cause you are probably going to hit them on the way out anyways. I have found the easiest way to get from one end of the screen to the other is to get up to the top platform on the left side (and, yes, you will have to take out that small flame on the way). Now, when a small moving platform has edged its way up to you, barely tap the joystick to get out onto it. Next, jump the the right and keep holding down the fire button until you bounce your way to one of the platforms on the right-hand side. Failing that, try to land on the middle static platform and jump to the right from there.

After touching both gas cans, I usually happen to be right under one of the moving double flames. A couple of jumps in place and it is gone. Whether or not a flame is not conveniently there, I will need to get back to the left hand side to take out the small flame again so I do my frantic bouncing technique to get back over there from the highest right-hand platform. As for the double flames, I usually wait under them on a static platform on either side and then take them out in a couple of jumps, or I drop down on them from one of the highest platforms.

Sorry if any of this isn't clear. I didn't realize how hard it would be to describe something I do without conscious effort.

OK. This is going to be my first time trying to post anything in a "spoiler" section, so forgive me if this goes astray (though I should let Prince fans know I was not, in fact, dreaming when I wrote this). Here is how I am able to consistently get to the only bonus room I have found so far. There may be other ways to get to it, but I'm not willing to risk the effort by possibly losing lives to try other techniques:

I would love to know if anybody has found other bonus rooms so far. Also, anybody made it past level 19? That's as far I have been to date, and I've been down to one life and no remaining continues each time. Needless to say, I can't clear it.

I actually discovered this bonus room the same way you did and once I stopped to think about, of course it would appear there in that location Great detail!