IGNORED

New RGB ColecoVision mod

Yurkie

The 8 pin mini din plug on the back of the CV is wired Jp-21 RGB and uses a straight through male to male 8 pin mini din cable to connect with the framemeister. Plug one end of the cable into console plug other end into the 8 pin mini din jack on the framemeister and start playing.

I will post details for cables needed for other set ups when I have tested them and know they work. For now this is only for use with the Framemeister.

The 8 pin mini din plug on the back of the CV is wired Jp-21 RGB and uses a straight through male to male 8 pin mini din cable to connect with the framemeister. Plug one end of the cable into console plug other end into the 8 pin mini din jack on the framemeister and start playing.

I will post details for cables needed for other set ups when I have tested them and know they work. For now this is only for use with the Framemeister.

Thanks for the info and I am sure there are many ways to get to euro SCART from JP-21 RGB and look forward to hear about them once you have tested them. It seems that the cable from retrogamecables mentioned previously may just be it.

I have 2 of these cables (takes euro SCART and breakout to BNC connections for RGB/sync and audio split out) from thgill to interface with the various systems I use for RGB on BVMs/PVMs. Hopefully an option like this will be available in the future as well. The audio breakout is important for those who use BVM monitors as they are display only without audio and for PVMs the audio is fed to the audio jack. I'm sure many are into scalers and using flat screens for various reasons however I think that there are also those who'd like a connection to an old school CRT. :)

Well I have this cheap scaler working with the ColecoVision RGB mod. Hard to describe the difference between this scaler and the framemeister. Best word I can think of is "bold" There is nothing wrong with the picture, colors are right, it isn't blurry...the picture just doesn't pop.

Anyway the Framemeister is $313 and this one is $42 and as long as you have never seen the Framemeister in action you won't know the difference. To use this scaler with the CV RGB you need 8 pin mini din on one end and other end wired EURO SCART to a male SCART plug. You need 220uf caps on the R, G and B lines and a 180 ohm resistor on the blanking line. The CV RGB 8 pin mini plug has 5V connected to pin 5 which is not used by the Framemeister, this is for the blanking line. The 180 ohm resistor on the blanking line drops the voltage and tells the scaler that RGB is being input. I'll probably sell a few cables wired and ready to go, but I don't really want to go into the cable making business.

Here are 2 pics of the scaler front and back views and a pic of Donkey Kong Jr. taken on the same TV a 37" Vizio 1080p

Here is a link to buy the scaler on Amazon and also a link to a youtube review. One last thing you can choose 3 different 4:3 aspect ratio settings 800 X 600, 1024 X 768 and 1280 X 1024 then you have 720p and 1080p (the 720 and 1080 stretch the image to 16:9)

http://www.amazon.com/Scart-Video-Converter-Scaler-Coaxial/dp/B00MUNIVRO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418873219&sr=8-3&keywords=scart+hdmi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

post-23318-0-97831600-1418874759_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-53213500-1418874770_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-12403300-1418875065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yurkie

Thanks for the info and imagine that cable you described is available for those that still use CRTs and understand not wanting to be in the cable business. Instead of a going through a scaler it should also work with a CRT. If not I look forward to one of the cables you may create. I am sure that I'll eventually use a scaler but not anytime soon. Just want to have RGB without a scaler like my other systems.

Thanks for the info and imagine that cable you described is available for those that still use CRTs and understand not wanting to be in the cable business. Instead of a going through a scaler it should also work with a CRT. If not I look forward to one of the cables you may create. I am sure that I'll eventually use a scaler but not anytime soon. Just want to have RGB without a scaler like my other systems.

I plan to test my din to euro scart on a a friend's rgb monitor and if successful post results. What I won't do is guess or make false promises. I worked hard to get this mod done and to give everyone a no "guessing game" plug and play mod.

I am 46 today 12/21. Got to spend some time with my little brother in for Christmas from out of state.

RGB will be widely available as a mod service or from systems for sales in the very near future.

God Bless and Merry Christmas. And my sincerest thanks to all my gaming friends that inspire me to come up with new things for our beloved ColecoVision.

• Like 2

Ookay, but is there any chance of you selling a kit for more technical-minded people?

There is a chance that months and or year(s) from now I may sell the RGB mod as a DIY....however I absolutely will not make any exceptions and sell anyone the RGB as a DIY now, nor will I make any promises on when or if ever I will offer it as a DIY.

As I said this is a mod service, and I will sell pre-modded consoles and/or complete systems with the mod installed.

you still didn't answer my questions?

does it disable the RF video out?

and how much does a modded RGB system sell for?

In one of the earlier posts in this thread (probably why no one has answered your question), it is stated that the RF output remains completely intact. For that matter, when Yurkie mods your system or you buy a modded system from him with RGB, you get:

- RBG Mod

- Composite Mod

- RF left completely intact

So you get a system with three different video outputs and they can output simultaneously (if I read that right... to lazy to look back in this thread's posts) to different monitors or TVs.

Edited by NIAD

In one of the earlier posts in this thread (probably why no one has answered your question), it is stated that the RF output remains completely intact. For that matter, when Yurkie mods your system or you buy a modded system from him with RGB, you get:

- RBG Mod

- Composite Mod

- RF left completely intact

So you get a system with three different video outputs and they can output simultaneously (if I read that right... to lazy to look back in this thread's posts) to different monitors or TVs.

yeah went back and read all post's by yurkie and it say's nothing about the RF output, it did mention RGB & Composite, but no mention of RF Working or not.

but i'd still like to know how much a system sells for.

Edited by mightywiz