IGNORED

New RGB ColecoVision mod

Yurkie

Does any of this add input lag?

Besides the blurriness issue, is there any other reason to choose the Framemeister?

The Framemeister has about 20ms of input lag, but since it outputs at 1080p/60, it can actually be less lag than if your display was trying to process/upconvert the signal itself. Having used the Framemeister with a variety of systems (and more to follow), including an RGB ColecoVision (mentioned in this thread) and RGB Intellivision (in the other thread), I can't notice any lag, and that's even when using an Avermedia capture device prior to going to the TV (I'm using a Sony PlayStation TV for all of my tests).

You use the Framemeister if you have composite, S-VIDEO, component, or RGB consoles or computers that you want to use optimally on modern displays. It also has HDMI input, but there will likely be few instances where you'll want to plug a native HDMI device into the Framemeister, unless you want to add things like scanlines or other types of image processing. The only disappointment is not having VGA input. I'm going to experiment with VGA to HDMI adapters, but I will most likely just go straight to a VGA display in those cases.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that while the output of the Framemeister is amazing, it doesn't do much with composite signals, which are already pretty low quality. It does allow them to display about as nice as possible on modern displays, but the output really only shines at S-VIDEO or better, since you have a better source signal to work with.

I'd also like to point out that I'm doing my comparisons side-by-side with a Commodore 1084S monitor, which is among the best and most versatile vintage monitors. For composite signals, I tend to prefer the 1084S over the Framemeister. For all other signal types, it's generally a wash, i.e., both look fantastic.

Incredible RGB mod perfect connecting to XRGB Framemeister like you do with NESRGB, modded N64, 1 chip SNES and numerous other RGB ready consoles.

The ColecoVision is now the Arcade quality video game system you have always dreamed of!

I have 4 consoles to sell and will offer more consoles for sale and a mod service in the future. I have been working with a couple friends to make this happen and to tweak out all the bugs to give you all a plug and play solution.

Here are a few screen shots. Screenshots are shit compared to in person. RGB is pixel perfect. I take customer service serious as hell and will not release something unless I believe in it.

My buddy Brain and I played the heck out of the CV with the framemeister and I feel good about selling it for the scaler. I will include a direct 6 foot 8 pin din male to male with each of the units for sale...units include ball knobs and straightened cord, BIOS skip, composite video, and pause and the whole umit is refubished by me like everything I have done in the past.

In any previous offered mods whether it was composite, s-video, component or VGA the white/gray text would be multi colored(rainbow) is all white. text menu is atari max sd multi cart.

SOLD! Where do I sign up???! :)

There is very little difference between the Framemeister and SCART to HDMI converter for 40 something. If I had not already bought the Framemeister (Nov. 2013) for my Genesis, N64, SNES and the NESRGB mod for the NES, I would not have spent the money on a Framemeister myself. The more I play the classic consoles using the cheap scaler the more I like it.

I would think of it like this with current exchange rates the Framemeister can be had for $314.75 shipped from this reputable guy over at assemblergames.com

https://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?44220-FRAMEMEISTER%EF%BC%88%E3%83%95%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%EF%BC%89XRGBmini-BRAND-NEW!!-Price-Down-!!&highlight=framemeister

And if you have many consoles that are RGB capable or moddable that you enjoy and want to play on an LCD/LED TV, and you want scanlines and a tiny bit sharper picture go for it.

If you want "good enough" for practically nothing ($43.95 shipped) buy the SCART to HDMI converter. Slightly less image sharpness and no scanline option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Monitor-Box-For-HDTV-DVD-STB-/400741908951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4e1441d7

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge on a framemeiester mainly out of curiosity. Even running my component modded coleco through it makes that output much sharper. Running the old ps1 through it was amazing. Ridge racer & tekken looked like different games. Even more amazing was playing ps1 games on the ps3 running through hdmi made them look even sharper! Though my biggest joy was playing wipeout pulse running on the pstv it looked like wipeout HD on the ps3. Maybe I was easily pleased as I've never seen my old games look this good before!

So my question now is, does yurkie's rgb mod work on euro colecos running Pal or Secam??

The console works perfectly on my Sony BVM also. So there are no issues running it on an rgb monitor as well as a scaler.

Thanks for that info. I have not personally tested on an RGB monitor and while it should work in theory I can't promise it will. The reason for the mod was so that it could be used with a RGB to HDMI scaler and give perfect picture on LCD/LED TVs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read you don't ship to the UK and don't sell kits so until this changes I'm not interested!

I would be interested in a RGB output kit for my pal machine but as your not willing to do this your loosing out on my cash...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to have you do a RGB mod for my ColecoVision however I have a Colecovision super game module on order which needs to be inserted in the expansion module portal. Will this portal still be functional after the RGB mod is completed so that I can play super game module games through it and will the games be an RGB image? I also own an Colecovision Expansion Module #1. Will that still work after the mod?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what does this mod look like internally? where is it getting the RGBS signal from? is this a similar to the NESRGB or 2600RGB encoder boards?

No it's not similar to the boards made by Tim Worthington for those consoles. Signals are pulled from the VDP directly and converted to RGB.

If you are looking to do this mod yourself, yurkie does not sell DIY kits.

• 2 weeks later...

While watching some videos of CV games that are played on RGB modded systems and even the F18a, I have noticed some oddities with sprites being improperly displayed or not at all. I recall one being Antarctic Adventure where the penguin falls in the trench and his whole body is still displayed instead of only the part above ground. Just watched a Rocky video where part of his right arm before the glove is missing.

Anyone else notice these odditities?

While watching some videos of CV games that are played on RGB modded systems and even the F18a, I have noticed some oddities with sprites being improperly displayed or not at all. I recall one being Antarctic Adventure where the penguin falls in the trench and his whole body is still displayed instead of only the part above ground. Just watched a Rocky video where part of his right arm before the glove is missing.

Anyone else notice these odditities?

Well spotted. I just tested my F18A modded system and experience the Antarctic Adventure bug that you observed, however I don't see any problems with Rocky's right arm. Can you provide links to the videos in question that way I can compare what I see with Rocky to the video.

My F18A was still on firmware v1.3 so I updated it to v1.8 but still have the same Antarctic Adventure bug. So, I'm guessing that this might be an F18A specific bug. Would be good to get confirmation, or otherwise, from others with F18A and non-F18A RGB systems.

Edited by Ikrananka