IGNORED

New RGB ColecoVision mod

Yurkie

My F18A was still on firmware v1.3 so I updated it to v1.8 but still have the same Antarctic Adventure bug. So, I'm guessing that this might be an F18A specific bug. Would be good to get confirmation, or otherwise, from others with F18A and non-F18A RGB systems.

Sprites are sometimes obscured by taking advantage of the 4-sprites-per-line limitation, which the F18A has disabled by default (IIRC). If it's affecting your gameplay, there's a jumper you can set on the board to default to the classic 4-sprites-per-line behaviour (and F18A-specific software can still override that.)

Edited by Tursi

Tursi, you're a star :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Removing the F18A jumper for USR 1 to set the sprites-per-line back to the classic default of 4 does indeed make the penguin become partially hidden when falling into a crevasse/hole in the game. What a neat programming trick to turn the VDP's spite limitations into an advantage.

So, this now has me thinking that I'll install a switch on the shell of my CV to be able to turn USR 1 on and off for specific games.

• Like 1

Well spotted. I just tested my F18A modded system and experience the Antarctic Adventure bug that you observed, however I don't see any problems with Rocky's right arm. Can you provide links to the videos in question that way I can compare what I see with Rocky to the video.

My F18A was still on firmware v1.3 so I updated it to v1.8 but still have the same Antarctic Adventure bug. So, I'm guessing that this might be an F18A specific bug. Would be good to get confirmation, or otherwise, from others with F18A and non-F18A RGB systems.

The Rocky video was from the Jim and Mike videos discussed in another thread where they don't read the instructions before playing.

What Sprite jumper setting do you have set for the F18a?

ED: never mind, just read Tursi's post. Like you NEED another excuse to mod your system(s) any further!!!! :D

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Glad that's what it was!

And I think I'll install that switch too, now that I know. ;)

Hey, could you let me know what switch you end up choosing. I've been looking at micro switches but haven't yet landed on one I like yet, but this is the main contender so far :

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/cw-industries/G-107-SI-0005/SW331-ND/164357

Hey, could you let me know what switch you end up choosing. I've been looking at micro switches but haven't yet landed on one I like yet, but this is the main contender so far :

Heh, I have a parts bin, so it will be whatever I grab first, most likely, but I'm partial to toggle switches like these (this one selected at random, not a specific endorsement):

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-alcoswitch-switches/4-1825136-5/450-1784-ND/3283587