IGNORED

New RGB ColecoVision mod

Yurkie

Refurbish console and install RGB mod $129. Former customers with fulling working consoles pay $99, since you have already had your console refurbished.

complete system $329. Everything refurbished. console with a/v mod, rgb mod, intro skip BIOS, and pause button. 2 controllers refurbed with ball knobs and straightened cords. Power supply, a/v cable and 6 foot mini din male to male cable for direct hook up of RGB to framemeister.

I will also offer 8 pin mini din to scart cable for use with the HD video converter for $20 at the time of purchase of mod service or system purchase for those that prefer to use this $42 scaler instead of the Framemeister. I will not sell extra cables, or cables alone....I hate making cables.

I just sent you a PM regarding this mod before I saw the latest posts. I just got a used console in great condition everything works except the crappy RF picture. How much would it cost for the rgb mod if I don't need it refurbished? I'm also interested in the controller mods and maybe the pause mod as well.

Wow that Framemeister is too expensive for my blood. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a digital RF converter to output a Colecovision via HDMI. I can get one at Walmart for $28. It has both HDMI and RCA composite video out and RF in.

Edited by Tron Unit

Wow that Framemeister is too expensive for my blood. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a digital RF converter to output a Colecovision via HDMI. I can get one at Walmart for $28. It has both HDMI and RCA composite video out and RF in.

Converting RF to HDMI with a device is no different than allowing the HDTV do it itself. Both will look horrible.

This mod, along with upcoming Intellivision and Atari RGB mods, is great news! But darnit, now I have to send my CV back to you Yurkie! Do you plan to do the Intv mod also?

Has said no.

Converting RF to HDMI with a device is no different than allowing the HDTV do it itself. Both will look horrible.

Here's my dillema: If I plug my CV into my LCD via RF, I have to switch the source to the TV Ch. 3 input and I don't get audio to my receiver and I have to turn up the TV volume which is annoying. My Yamaha receiver does not have an RF input so my only options are to go RCA composite, RGB or HDMI. I can get a DIY composite mod off ebay for $23 which looks fairly easy to do soldering 4 wires to the PCB but why even go that route when RGB is better but Yurkie has said he is not offering DIY RGB kits and his mod is only for use with the prohibitively expensive Framemeister or his $40 HD converter which essentially does the same thing that the $28 digital converter from Walmart does but the best I'll be able to get from that will be to go with the RCA component video DIY mod.

Basically, I'd just be using the digital converter as a cheap RF demodulator to pass the signal through to my receiver input so I can get sound through my external receiver speakers anyway and not the TV. Right now I have it going RF to my LCD and the TV scales the video just fine, it just looks a bit fuzzy as expected from an analog RF signal and I would expect the video to look about the same through the digital converter without doing any other mods. I have seen a couple of RGB modded systems on ebay but I remember one of them had a problem with the chroma looking too bluish so that was an easy pass for me. All I am interested in is getting an RGB mod for my Coleco and not the controller mods, pause button, LED power switch or any other mods.

Edited by Tron Unit

I have seen a couple of RGB modded systems on ebay but I remember one of them had a problem with the chroma looking too bluish so that was an easy pass for me. All I am interested in is getting an RGB mod for my Coleco and not the controller mods, pause button, LED power switch or any other mods.

The bluish looking one was a component modded Colecovision not rgb . That compenent mod makes your console look like a train wreck with all the holes and jacks and not to mention you get a bluish picture which one would of been better off just leaving it rf .

The bluish looking one was a component modded Colecovision not rgb . That compenent mod makes your console look like a train wreck with all the holes and jacks and not to mention you get a bluish picture which one would of been better off just leaving it rf .

But... Component video IS RGB not Composite. I know Yurkie has a single mini din connector for RGB component going out in his mod.

Edited by Tron Unit

Here's my dillema: If I plug my CV into my LCD via RF, I have to switch the source to the TV Ch. 3 input and I don't get audio to my receiver and I have to turn up the TV volume which is annoying. My Yamaha receiver does not have an RF input so my only options are to go RCA composite, RGB or HDMI. I can get a DIY composite mod off ebay for $23 which looks fairly easy to do soldering 4 wires to the PCB but why even go that route when RGB is better but Yurkie has said he is not offering DIY RGB kits and his mod is only for use with the prohibitively expensive Framemeister or his $40 HD converter which essentially does the same thing that the $28 digital converter from Walmart does but the best I'll be able to get from that will be to go with the RCA component video DIY mod.

Basically, I'd just be using the digital converter as a cheap RF demodulator to pass the signal through to my receiver input so I can get sound through my external receiver speakers anyway and not the TV. Right now I have it going RF to my LCD and the TV scales the video just fine, it just looks a bit fuzzy as expected from an analog RF signal and I would expect the video to look about the same through the digital converter without doing any other mods. I have seen a couple of RGB modded systems on ebay but I remember one of them had a problem with the chroma looking too bluish so that was an easy pass for me. All I am interested in is getting an RGB mod for my Coleco and not the controller mods, pause button, LED power switch or any other mods.

The cheapest method would be to hook the CV into an old VCR via RF, then feeding the VCR AV Composite into your receiver and upscaler. A DIY composite mod would look and sound a hell of a lot better than RF, regardless if its upconverted to HDMI. RF is really garbage. As for Yurkie, the controller ball knobs and power switch refurb and other things he's basically doing for nothing, but his RGB mod won't be cheap.

Unfortunately I do not have a VCR as I got rid of those about a decade ago LOL so I'd have to use a DV converter as an RF demodulator which is the least expensive solution but even a composite RCA DIY mod would help. If Yurkie had a DIY kit for a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. While his mods for Pause and controller knobs are well done, I don't really need them. Maybe if he offers a flat rate RGB install for less I might consider it but it means having to send him my unit which I am always leary about sending out especially after Microsuck nearly lost my Xbox when I sent it to them for servicing. I'd prefer a simple DIY kit but I understand his reasons for not offering them as it's a PITA for him to make all the cables.

........................ RGB is better but Yurkie has said he is not offering DIY RGB kits and his mod is only for use with the prohibitively expensive Framemeister or his $40 HD converter which essentially does the same thing that the $28 digital converter from Walmart does but the best I'll be able to get from that will be to go with the RCA component video DIY mod...................

The HD converter that I mention a few posts up is not my product it is a cheap and rather good alternative to the Framemeister. It take RGB and converts it to HDMI.

I also posted a link to a review that a guy did about the HD converter. Here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I do not have a VCR as I got rid of those about a decade ago LOL so I'd have to use a DV converter as an RF demodulator which is the least expensive solution but even a composite RCA DIY mod would help. If Yurkie had a DIY kit for a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. While his mods for Pause and controller knobs are well done, I don't really need them. Maybe if he offers a flat rate RGB install for less I might consider it but it means having to send him my unit which I am always leary about sending out especially after Microsuck nearly lost my Xbox when I sent it to them for servicing. I'd prefer a simple DIY kit but I understand his reasons for not offering them as it's a PITA for him to make all the cables.

You can get VCR's at the goodwill for 5 bucks problem solved. The composite mods for the Coleco look like complete doo doo and if you're trying to convert RF to something that is just plain silly. Save your pop cans and get the mod. He has one of the best reputations around. He's never sold any of my stuff for crack.... LOL..... Seriously though stop trying to lowball the guy. He does quality work and everyone knows it. You can also buy a completely modded unit and not have to send yours off. NOTE: requires more pop cans :)

Edited by juice2839

Seriously though stop trying to lowball the guy. He does quality work and everyone knows it.

Excuse me? I'm not trying to lowball anybody here. I'm just saying I can't afford a $300 Framemeister. I could probably afford one of those $50 HD scalers he also showed. In any case, I did end up purchasing Yurkie's composite AV mod kit and installed it quite easily. It makes a world of difference over noisy RF and now my audio is going into my receiver so I'm quite happy to have that upgrade for the moment though obviously it's not nearly as sharp as his RGB mod would look. If I can afford it at some point I would consider having him do it. Right now I'm just trying to get him to mod my controllers...

Quote " If Yurkie had a DIY kit for a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. "

If the composite is what you can afford then go with it. I'm not trying to belittle you, I was just saying if you can't afford it no one has an answer for you. You can't drive a cadillac with a bicycle budget. You are never going to make composite or RF look anywhere near as good as his RGB.

Excuse me? I'm not trying to lowball anybody here. I'm just saying I can't afford a $300 Framemeister. I could probably afford one of those $50 HD scalers he also showed. In any case, I did end up purchasing Yurkie's composite AV mod kit and installed it quite easily. It makes a world of difference over noisy RF and now my audio is going into my receiver so I'm quite happy to have that upgrade for the moment though obviously it's not nearly as sharp as his RGB mod would look. If I can afford it at some point I would consider having him do it. Right now I'm just trying to get him to mod my controllers...

If you want amazing video quality on a budget you should consider the F18A. I don't know what make of automobile its video quality would be analogous to... But I do know that you can purchase the kit for $78 and that it outputs VGA so there's no need for an upscaler. However, it does completely replace the VDP so there are some caveats. Also, if you don't have the proper tools and experience, desoldering the 40 pin VDP will be a challenge. You could easily damage your Colecovision motherboard, quickly negating any cost savings.

Although, I have to say the RGB output above does look fantastic! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Quote " If Yurkie had a DIY kit for a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. "

If the composite is what you can afford then go with it. I'm not trying to belittle you, I was just saying if you can't afford it no one has an answer for you. You can't drive a cadillac with a bicycle budget. You are never going to make composite or RF look anywhere near as good as his RGB.

No obviously you can't make RF look any better that's why I ultimately decided just going the composite AV route for now. Not everyone can afford to drive a Ferarri so I have to settle for the Fiat for now.

I wanted to mention that going from RGB to HDMI via a scaler eliminates sprite flicker.

With pac-man playing on an LCD via composite, ghosts and or pac-man would completely disappear at times. Outputting HDMI eliminates this issue.

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 1