IGNORED

Purchasing an ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cart- How long usually?

tonyankyfan1

Sent 3 emails, and nada... Didnt even get a confirmation email, acknowledgement or anything, Just know my paypal was charged. Im just gonna cancel my order, fugg it! Not replying is not cool.... I will wait until tomorrow, if nothing, DONE!

Honestly just chill man, Steve is not known for his contact but he is known for delivering in the end, I dealt with him directly, ordered from his site and he sent sent me a Colecovision Ultimate SD for me to do a video review back in the day. I have no doubt you will receive your order.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Dude, this isn't my first rodeo, lol of course, Ive had deals go bad on ebay, and amazon. Just sucks because, when I purchase an item, I pay fast, dont make people or the seller wait, I'm on it..

After this transaction, I think I will seriously stick w my PS4, buy my games from a store, whereas I can walk in, cash in hand, see who I'm dealing with and walk out w game in hand. This was my 2nd transaction in the same week, and I was hoping it would go as well as my first, "thank you, YURKIE, Todd".. But,Guess not, I'm stuck in eternal email hold, for now.

Or just buy cartridges online, ebay and play the CV that way, as it was intended to play in the first place. At least, I will be going for 5 bucks a pop as opposed to 140, and that's fine as well. Don't have to sit and wait, for a courtesy email.

This is funny on so many levels as you admit to having issues with sites that are large scale operations and complain about a retro provider who has had nothing but positive replies on this thread and all you complain about is being in an email hold. Yeah you are very patient for sure. :) We've all experienced issues with online purchases but I'd say email interaction ranks quite low on that list as to whether a transaction is successful or not. Apparently you value that more than what others have said and good for you as you feel it adds some value. I'd say stay with your PS4 and be happy.

I really don't understand why you are still complaining...multiple people, including myself, have told you that this is just the way it is with Steve. I've purchased multiple items from him and gotten them fairly quickly...so what if it takes two or three weeks. THIS IS NOT WHAT STEVE DOES FULL TIME FOR A LIVING!!! He rarely answers emails quickly...but he is honest and dependable. And quite frankly, I've never really had a problem getting email answers from him. Sometimes it takes a week or so, but he's always answered me. You say you're patient...well, no offense, but you aren't showing it.

Guys, I'm very patient. All I ask for and expect is acknowledgement that he received my email, that's not much to ask for, especially when an item is 140 bucks, we are not talking about 20 bucks here.
Furthermore, I can tear apart and rebuild a small block V8 in ONE day and have it back on road running, so I think building a cartridge to play some games shouldn't take 3 weeks. Seriously for real.....
Like, I said-all I wanted is an acknowledgement via email, my cash was deducted "fast", same should go for an email. Sorry, disagree. I understand product takes time, just let me know some sortve ETA.
Anthony

I have never bought an atarimax directly from the seller (I got one off atariage) but I can tell you they are a nice product and well worth the wait.

Most products that are made on a small scale take time. If you decide to go the route of buying homebrews you will always have wait times.

I recently backed a turntable from a small company on kickstarter. It took 6 months longer then I was told it would take to get it. (And it cost $400)

I expected delays when I bought it. It was a new and very small company. One of the reasons (and I see this in the coleco homebrew community as well) for all the delays was the amount of time spent testing each unit. Making sure everything was absolutely perfect. I had to wait a long time but the end result was well worth it.

I understand completely your frustration with the lack of response as I have been there as well and I know many others on this forum have. The sad thing is, is that we can't just walk into a store and purchase these items so therefore we have to go this route for our retrogaming addiction. You have to do what you have to do and I won't recommend any courses of action to take, but just know that Steve Tucker is top shelf in this community and always delivers as far as I know.

We just sent you Melky Cabarero. How many Jays more do you need? No excuse up here at all really. We have a huge market we should be in the playoffs every other season. But then New York & Boston have huge markets too... and the Yankees have A-rod.

I keep hearing that, but then every year they end up back in 4th place in the AL East. BTW, can you guys send Mark Buerhle back to the White Sox where he belongs!!!

i know that I am late to the party, because cooler heads have prevailed, but i had to share my dealings with Steve, and put in the good word.

I bought my Atarimax 128-1 from someone here on AA. The thing died one day, and I realized that it had a lifetime guarantee with Steve. I emailed him, told him that I bought it used off of someone, had no idea when it was purchased or anything. He asked me to return it, and he fixed it for free!!

Try that with a big box store!!

• Like 7

i know that I am late to the party, because cooler heads have prevailed, but i had to share my dealings with Steve, and put in the good word.

I bought my Atarimax 128-1 from someone here on AA. The thing died one day, and I realized that it had a lifetime guarantee with Steve. I emailed him, told him that I bought it used off of someone, had no idea when it was purchased or anything. He asked me to return it, and he fixed it for free!!

Try that with a big box store!!

I had a broken one a few years ago, too (128-in-1). He repaired it and sent it back for free.

• Like 3

I wasn't going to reply, with all the heat. LOL

But I bought the cart from Steve, and got it very quickly. The thing works great and plays everything I've loaded on it so far. So, Tony hold out, and besides it's the holidays and everyone is running around with their heads cut off. :)

Besides, if Steve was a poor business owner, it wouldn't take long for the word to get around here.

That cart is worth the wait.

Edited by Kamshaft
  • Like 1

Another satisfied customer, here. I don't remember how long it took, but it wasn't instant. But I've had **SEVERAL** (some high-dollar) orders from Atarimax over the past several years, and I am 100% satisfied. If one is patient enough, they'll be too. If not, just quietly get a refund, because one is unlikely to find agreement here (hence get a quiet refund) when dumping on a proven-excellent vendor such as Atarimax. They're great. Walmart is instant, but they don't sell niche products like Atarimax. I feel lucky to be able to *even purchase* the things that Atarimax sells.

We just sent you Melky Cabarero. How many Jays more do you need? No excuse up here at all really. We have a huge market we should be in the playoffs every other season. But then New York & Boston have huge markets too... and the Yankees have A-rod.

Yeah, but Buerhle is a WHITE SOX forever... well, at least that is what he said numerous time as well as the only other team that he would consider playing for would be his home town Cardinals. I guess you can keep him afterall seeing as it really is about the almighty dollar. BTW, thanks for Melky, hope that signing pans out.

Big operation, small operation, or anything in between... customer service is always important. Part of customer service is communicating expectations. I certainly agree with those who claim that because Steve is a one man show who does this stuff in his spare time, that he may not always have stock of needed parts etc.

However, if anyone offers something for sale and does not communicate an expected delay up front, the implication is that the item(s) for sale are in stock and ready to deliver. I believe it is wrong to offer something for sale, take the money, and then delay delivery with no communication. In fact, I even think its wrong to do all that and then offer communication about a delay which was known about BEFORE doing the deal (if it was known). But to not even communicate at all? I like what Steve at Atarimax makes. I think he's an asset to the Atari8 community. I think he's been sold for may people in many deals before (including for me). But unless he's lying in a hospital bed, there's no dman excuse for this lack of delivery and lack of communication. I don't care how "cool" of a guy he is otherwise. Hell, even if there is a family emergency type thing, perhaps a quick update to the web site explaining that all operations and communications are temporarily delayed would be in order. There are no sacred cows whos image must be protected.

This is one guy complaining, and though it's legit, it isn't going to destroy Steve's repuation on its own. A spade is still a spade though.

When you run your own business, you get to decide if you want to respond to emails in 1 day or less, 7 days or less, or 14 days or less. If you don't like the way Steve runs his business, don't buy from him. Start your own business, and run it the way you want. I bought the Colecovision Ultimate SD from him, and think it is worth at least twice what he charges. It pays for itself with the 2 homebrew games it comes with. I was a little concerned that it took a while for an email confirming my order, but after 2 or 3 weeks I got it, and I love it.

Unless he is taking people's money and not sending them products, or sending crap quality products, he can wait however long he wants to send an email.

Unless you buy from eBay, Amazon, or another brand name website with clearly stated policies, you should expect to receive the product after payment within 30 days. If the seller doesn't deliver the product within 30 days, they should contact you within 30 days to explain when to expect delivery, and offer a refund if you don't want to wait more than 30 days after payment.

This isn't an official Seinfeldian rule of the internet, but it should be.

Edited by Hannacek

When you run your own business, you get to decide if you want to respond to emails in 1 day or less, 7 days or less, or 14 days or less. If you don't like the way Steve runs his business, don't buy from him. Start your own business, and run it the way you want.

The unsaid implication there in what you are saying is that what I shouldn't do is express my views on the matter? I am sorry that we dissagree, but I'm not going to let you decide for me if it's okay to express my view. I think it is, so I will.

Unless you buy from eBay, Amazon, or another brand name website with clearly stated policies, you should expect to receive the product after payment within 30 days. If the seller doesn't deliver the product within 30 days, they should contact you within 30 days to explain when to expect delivery, and offer a refund if you don't want to wait more than 30 days after payment.

This isn't an official Seinfeldian rule of the internet, but it should be.

That might be how you would want it to be, and the merrits of that could be considered. But the situation out there isn't necessarily that. I do believe it is common protocol for a seller not to demand payment until delivery can be made. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is actully the law, or has been, in some places that a vendor is not allowed to take payment until delivery can be made. That might explain a lot of the "card is not charged until it ships" type of stuff you sometimes see.

Regardless, I stand by my own personal view (whether it might be law, or not) that if you can process the payment, you should be ready to process the delivery. At least give the customer the info up front so he/she can decide if they are okay making payment for a promise of a delayed product.

To those who disagree... I respect your right to your view. I just hope you aren't applying a different standard to Steve because you like him or what he makes or becuase he was fast for you.

Edited by fujidude

So what if some people do want to cut him some slack? That's one of the privileges of being a popular vendor who's generally appreciated by the community. All this "I don't care how much of a cool guy he is" is sounding rather familiar, I'm afraid. The last person I noticed making that kind of noise then made a great big show of manufacturing a very small number of very simple pre-ordered devices and then garnishing the whole insignificant enterprise in a lot of showy "customer assurances".

• Like 2

The support for Steve is not that "he is a cool guy"... it is that he delivers. I have purchased many retro items and the only one to go sour was the Pandora handheld. Guess what happened in terms of communication.... it was actually very professional even when the original credit card transactions had to change to bank transfers which added a transfer fee. Nothing felt out of place as folks were receiving their systems. What do you think happened in the end? I lost a few hundred dollars and to this day the only transaction that ended this way out of all transactions from ebay / Amazon / forums / etc. Another odd fact about this transaction it was one of my earlier one yet others without "top class" customer support all arrived just fine. So the one failed transaction in my experience and it handled in a manner that would be defined as professional.

I appreciate your opinion on the matter fujidude however what does a confirmation email guarantee? My Pandora confirmation handled just fine has resulted in many years without a product and options to pay more for an upgraded system. The irony was that after time the great service ceased to exist. If I am lucky I may one day get a system from those who donate to help those that did not receive one. The retro gaming community is a tight nit group of folks who support vendors who create items that are unique and in many cases the ones that provide the least "customer experience" in the end are the best. Isn't this a niche hobby after all?

• Like 1

So what if some people do want to cut him some slack? That's one of the privileges of being a popular vendor who's generally appreciated by the community. All this "I don't care how much of a cool guy he is" is sounding rather familiar, I'm afraid. The last person I noticed making that kind of noise then made a great big show of manufacturing a very small number of very simple pre-ordered devices and then garnishing the whole insignificant enterprise in a lot of showy "customer assurances".

I'm not selling anything here. I just think if you're taking money you should be handing over product, unless it is spelled out beforehand that there will be delays. I'm not going to beat this around much longer. I made my point(s). By now, people either agree or they don't.

Edited by fujidude