IGNORED

RAM320XE/576 order thread

ctirad

Just wanted to say I got mine last week Citrad, works great as far as I can tell, only thing I was able to test was some demo scene titles that stated 320kb ram required. Was an easy way to test the various ram modes (Demo stated what memory module was detected, etc).

On the Covox, can anyone recommend a demo/game/music player that would make for a nice... well demonstration?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. There will be shortly a hundred of RAM320 (preproducion) and RAM320/576 cards sold. I have already ordered components for antoher hundred. I have also a new slightly redesigned top and back stickers. I have now only about three pendings orders so if you plan to buy one, the right time is now :)

Mine arrived today!

I've been trying to test it with demos that require 320K, but several of them have had issues. I think it's because I'm trying to run them on an NTSC machine.

Can someone recommend a memory test that can properly test all the extended RAM? I tried the one in this forum post, but it only identifies 320K at the default settings (switches 1 & 2 on, switch 3 off - 576K total).

Edit: never mind - I found this one.

Edited by FifthPlayer

Some demo's are 'picky' when it comes to the right banking. Other demo's might dislike the 576K (although I did not find them yet).

And what you already wrote yourself: the NTSC thing...

I am extremely satisfied by this external memory expansion. it's awesome.

"I ordered mine. Too bad my 65xe is a late one without the ECI port."

It would be an fairly ugly hack, but you could add the ECI portion via a card edge connector, and hard-wire it into the 65XE. (Or spend $70 and get a new 130XE mobo from BEST. :-)

-Larry

I just want to say one of my favorite features is the blue LED that indicates whether or not the built-in BASIC ROM is active.

Being a former 800 owner, I dislike the built-in BASIC on my 130XE and have wondered if there is a way to permanently disable it. At least now I know if it's active and possibly conflicting with software that doesn't need it.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I just want to say one of my favorite features is the blue LED that indicates whether or not the built-in BASIC ROM is active.

Being a former 800 owner, I dislike the built-in BASIC on my 130XE and have wondered if there is a way to permanently disable it. At least now I know if it's active and possibly conflicting with software that doesn't need it.

If you have an eprom burner you can modify the original rom. At offset 0490 change F0 to D0 and to make the checksum work change offset 0001 to 56.. Or use the attached file..

Atari OS Rev 3 (1985)(Atari)800XE-65XE-130XE.bin

• Like 2

From the beginning I'm an Atari 800XL user. And when I was a kid I enjoyed BASIC a lot, but when I grew some older, I started to feel like you… basic has to be switched off most of the time. It would have been better if the Atari worked the way rdea6 posted above this post.

Today I use my Atari 400 (48K) from time to time, and I love the way it works: when I need Basic, I'll attach the cartridge.

If you have an eprom burner you can modify the original rom. At offset 0490 change F0 to D0 and to make the checksum work change offset 0001 to 56..

Sadly I don't have an eprom burner, nor do I have soldering skills which I think would be needed since the 130XE doesn't socket anything on its motherboard. I'm not much of a hardware person, which is why ctirad's upgrade appealed to me in the first place.

What does the mod do? Does it disable the BASIC ROM entirely? Or does it do something like reverse the meaning of the OPTION key, so you need to hold it down on boot if you want BASIC? I think that would be ideal.

And when I was a kid I enjoyed BASIC a lot, but when I grew some older, I started to feel like you… basic has to be switched off most of the time. It would have been better if the Atari worked the way rdea6 posted above this post.

Not to mention that if I do want BASIC, I'd rather use someone else's. I have an orange BASIC XL cart lying around that is much preferable to Atari's BASIC.

Edited by FifthPlayer

• 5 weeks later...