IGNORED

RAM320XE/576 order thread

ctirad

This does RAM - period. If you just want half a meg of plug-in RAM, what could be better? Ultimate, meanwhile, provides the same RAM upgrade plus a plethora of other stuff which is well-documented, so the decision should be pretty easy, based on whether you need the other stuff or not. A plug-in 512KB upgrade is "better" if you don't want to do any soldering and want a portable upgrade.

Yeah, I know what you mean - but sometimes its nice to go with a sharply delineated feature set. I really like this mod and will be watching it closely. This and a good floppy replacement like the ABBUC 'SIO2USB' would in some ways be a superior, more authentic system in my opinion. Also - the cartridge pass through is a real jewel of a function and that the "Ultimate1MB"/"SIDE2" badly lacks.

Also - the cartridge pass through is a real jewel of a function and that the "Ultimate1MB"/"SIDE2" badly lacks.

Ultimate/SIDE2 lacks a cartridge pass-thru because by inserting SIDE2, you have occupied the cartridge slot. This is exactly the same as placing a cartridge into the RAM320XE's pass-thru connector and then complaining that RAM320XE badly lacks a cartridge pass-thru. Ultimate 1MB (the RAM upgrade you're comparing with RAM320XE) does not occupy the cartridge slot, ECI or PBI connector at all. I'd be interested to know how an internal upgrade which does not occupy the cartridge slot could be improved by vacating the cartridge slot.

Since RAM320XL (excellent RAM upgrade though it is) does not provide PBI HDD host adapter capabilities (as provided by the Ultimate/SIDE pairing) unless used with a third-party HDD adapter which may or may not provide cartridge pass-thru facility at the end of the chain, the comparison is - to say the least - apples with oranges.

• Like 1

Ultimate/SIDE2 lacks a cartridge pass-thru because by inserting SIDE2, you have occupied the cartridge slot. This is exactly the same as placing a cartridge into the RAM320XE's pass-thru connector and then complaining that RAM320XE badly lacks a cartridge pass-thru. Ultimate 1MB (the RAM upgrade you're comparing with RAM320XE) does not occupy the cartridge slot, ECI or PBI connector at all. I'd be interested to know how an internal upgrade which does not occupy the cartridge slot could be improved by vacating the cartridge slot.

Since RAM320XL (excellent RAM upgrade though it is) does not provide PBI HDD host adapter capabilities (as provided by the Ultimate/SIDE pairing) unless used with a third-party HDD adapter which may or may not provide cartridge pass-thru facility at the end of the chain, the comparison is - to say the least - apples with oranges.

Okay, well... I have bought my crap, fitted it and used it for a couple of months pretty much non-stop - so I feel like I have paid my dues to the 'have an opinion on the Ultimate1MB club'!!! :) At some point I'll have bought this new device as well.

Going from my own experiences and the practical uses I have discovered for my rejuvenated system I personally think a RAM-only expansion of this type coupled with a fast SIO device fills all my needs. A dedicated hard drive, swappable OS ROMS and the rest is - for me - not proving to be especially useful, although I think I would probably miss the real-time clock. Certainly if I ever buy that much wished-for 130XE in the sky then I will fit it with a "RAM320XE" and a "SIO2SD"/"SIO2USB". Those will provide two sides of my 'upgrade triangle' while also leaving my cartridge slot free for a multicart to draw the remaining hypotenuse. That would be my advice to anyone coming to the Atari upgrade scene completely fresh - horses for courses.

It it fulfils your needs, good. I used to have a RAM320XL and it was great. You have a right to an opinion, but the cart pass-thru argument is misleading. If a hard disk is not important (as appears to be the case), then SIDE2 is not a relevant part of the discussion.

• Like 1

My philosophy is: if it is made for atari 8bit, it is good and I need (ehm. ... want) it.

I love the simplicity of it so I ordered five.

But when it comes to external ram upgrades I love the Turbo Freezer 2011 more. It's battery back upped and it comes with amazing other features.

U1mb is fabulous too, and offers superb features. I don't understand your point about the cartridge port. U1mb gives the feature of having sdx and a cart in same time and as soon side2 is hooked up the cart port is occupied in any situation. ... also with 320xe upgrade.

What you complain about is a downside of side2. That's why I prefer ide+ 2.0 which somes with a cart port.

• Like 1

My philosophy is: if it is made for atari 8bit, it is good and I need (ehm. ... want) it.

I love the simplicity of it so I ordered five.

But when it comes to external ram upgrades I love the Turbo Freezer 2011 more. It's battery back upped and it comes with amazing other features.

U1mb is fabulous too, and offers superb features. I don't understand your point about the cartridge port. U1mb gives the feature of having sdx and a cart in same time and as soon side2 is hooked up the cart port is occupied in any situation. ... also with 320xe upgrade.

What you complain about is a downside of side2. That's why I prefer ide+ 2.0 which somes with a cart port.

I agree ProWizard. I guess at the end of the day if you are not using a hard drive very much and get more use from *.ATR's then unplug the thing and.. voila - a cartridge slot is available! It was more pressing before I got an "SIO2SD" as I found I was constantly trying to shoe-horn floppy disk drive functionality from the "SIDELoader" and 'MATR' - which neither quite fulfilled. Now I find I can fairly easily do without the hard drive.

The "IDE+ 2.0" is damn nice... The only reason I didn't go in that direction was the fact Lotharek no longer stocks them and I saw a scary figure of ~£100 from a third party. At the time a VBXE seemed more pressing for the superior quality display. No doubt I will try to pick one up at some point.

Anyway, so far as this excellent mod goes I am a total "RAM320XE576" convert. I think its the LED's that do it!!! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...