IGNORED

RAM320XE/576 order thread

ctirad

OK, I've checked my stock of upgrades. I have two of the Ram 320XE.  Both say Rev 3.  One says batch 2 and the other batch 1. The pcb's are a bit different.  Neither have an ECI pass-through. It appears that the screws holding the shells together are under the labels, so no pictures of the pcbs are possible.  I'll sell either or both of these. PM an offer if interested.

I also have two of the earlier Ram 320XL.  This is interesting because you can map the base 16K or 64K in or out. Check the original thread(s).

The negative thing about these is that they covered up the PBI, but if one uses an SDrive, etc. no big deal.

Same deal, PM an offer if interested. (PayPal, of course.)

-Larry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

OK, I've checked my stock of upgrades. I have two of the Ram 320XE.  Both say Rev 3.  One says batch 2 and the other batch 1. The pcb's are a bit different.  Neither have an ECI pass-through. It appears that the screws holding the shells together are under the labels, so no pictures of the pcbs are possible.  I'll sell either or both of these. PM an offer if interested.

I also have two of the earlier Ram 320XL.  This is interesting because you can map the base 16K or 64K in or out. Check the original thread(s).

The negative thing about these is that they covered up the PBI, but if one uses an SDrive, etc. no big deal.

Same deal, PM an offer if interested. (PayPal, of course.)

-Larry

PM sent (for batch 1)

Edited by atari65xenajm
added a clarification.

I am attempting to test the Ram XE units.  I can't remember how to read the dip switch diagrams. Does the little white spot on the diagram indicate the position of the dip switch, or the black at the other end?

I also can't find an explanation about the "requires modification" note on the batch 2 unit for the 576 kb. Is there another thread I missed?  

Here's what I've found (and at this point 5 years later, I can't say that I understand all that is shown in the docs): 

Switches 1....2....3 (reading from the label)

1. Down Down Down shows 64K on XRam (64 base + 64)

2. Up Down Down shows 256K on Xram (64 + 256)

3. Down Up Down shows 64K on XRam (64 + 64)

4. Up Up Down shows 512K on XRam (64 + 512)

Note that in the above that the remap is set to OFF.

Both of the Ram 320XE units show the same results, so I have to believe that they both work exactly as when I got them several years ago. I have not been able to verify some of the remap=ON as mentioned in Ctirad's docs.  I have a totally stock 130XE that performs perfectly normally when remap is OFF or when the Ram 320XE is not connected. The issue is the remap=ON setting. If I set the remap to ON, the machine will either display a black screen or stop in the middle of the boot. I have a gut feel this is an NTSC issue. But I have no PAL machines to test.  Could someone else in NTSC-land test this. Also, could someone with a PAL machine test it.

Here is the easiest-to-understand map of the settings:

Ram 320XE.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The XE version can only be used with XE machines - 130XE's, 800XE's and some 65XE's (those with the full ECI connector at the rear side). The XL uses a different connector but there was a version of this expansion suitable for XL machines. And yes, these expansions can be used to expand your memory without any soldering.

Edited by pseudografx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum (but not new to Atari) and it would appear I am late to the party. 

Had a number of Atari's over the past 30 years, and recently decided to downsize my collection and focus on getting most use of what I have.
So I am currently left with a 65XE and a 800XE, have the SIO2SD drive/tape emulator, and also some other peripherals (1050, 1010, XC12 etc).
I also had a 130XE but sold it as it had a faulty video chip (display was b&w only). 

So looking for RAM extension, and was pretty much set at buying everything in order to solder the chips on the mainboard and expand to 320kb. 
Then i took one last plunge into the internets and here I am - an old thread with RAM cards ready made that are not that much more expensive than doing it myself. 

So my question is as follows - how do I get my hands on one? I understand the OP is no longer responding. Is anyone selling theirs? Is anyone making anything that would fit a 65xe/800xe (both of mine have ECI ports)?
Or failing this, does anyone  sell ready kits for onboard upgrades? If not, is there any place I could get all the chips, capacitors, resistors etc. instead of buying everything separately off ebay?

Apologies for so many questions from the start, hoping someone is still out there willing to answer.

I highly recommend @tf_hh's Syscheck 2.2. It does so much more than expand the memory. It plugs into the expansion port on an XL or XE (There are versions for each one, and one that works with both.)

I have one and love how it works. It is pretty much plug and play. Just have to run a wire to the joystick port for power.

All information on that, and on other cool upgrades for 8-bit Atari stuff can be found here:

http://www.van-radecke.de/STUFF/tfhh_HW_info.pdf

The thread on the syscheck is here:

-Todd

• Like 2

Hello ChaoticBiker

Open up your XE's to check if they use two or eight RAM chips.  You'll probably find that the motherboard says "130XE" and that it looks like half the RAM chips are missing.  Easiest way to upgrade than is to add the missing RAMs and the CO25953 (or the alternative) to get 128kB of RAM, fully 130XE compatible.

Sincerely

Mathy  (who upgraded both his 65XE and his 800XE to 128kB years ago)

Edited by Mathy

I got 3 EMMUs (CO25953) from an UK seller in Ebay, at good price. Probably still around. That was my first hardware modification ever to any of my Ataris. It is very straight forward and you get a 130XE with 65XE or 800XE badge. That simple upgrade allowed me to play Bosconian (with voice samples), Stunt car racer, use sector copiers (copy diskettes in 1 pass),etc. 

Now if you have a 65XE with ECI , getting SysCheck is also pretty nice, since you don't need to open the computer and solder anything.

Edit: I found this link. I don't know why is not showing in other ebay sites... even when the seller is based in UK.

https://www.ebay.pl/itm/NEW-Atari-computer-16-DIP-IC-130XE-65XE-65-130-XE-C25953-20-EMMU-memory-IC-chip-/152097265933

Edited by manterola
found a link

11 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello ChaoticBiker

Open up your XE's to check if they use two or eight RAM chips.  You'll probably find that the motherboard says "130XE" and that it looks like half the RAM chips are missing.  Easiest way to upgrade than is to add the missing RAMs and the CO25953 (or the alternative) to get 128kB of RAM, fully 130XE compatible.

Sincerely

Mathy  (who upgraded both his 65XE and his 800XE to 128kB years ago)

Hi Mathy,

Thank you for the response. Thank all others for suggestions, the syscheck one is an interesting alternative (though still would prefer something with a case ;) )
As mentioned previously, I did have a 130XE with a faulty graphics chip, I now regret selling it as should've just swapped the chip with one of my other ataris! I had 5 ataris back then (amongst a ton of other computers), now I'm down to two as over the last two years I have pretty much decimated my collection. Both my 65XE and 800XE have 8 chips RAM, and both have the space for extra chips and this indeed the way I'll do one of the Ataris (probably the 800XE). Problem is, original Atari MMU is near impossible to obtain nowadays and the GAL chip needs programmed which unforunately I no longer have the hardware to do that.
Not sure if there's any place in UK or EU that ships pre-programmed GAL chips? I'm not shy to do a bit of soldering though looking at other options as well.
Even if I order the syscheck for one atari I'll probably still have a go with soldering on the other. 
So the big question - is there anyplace I can get the GAL chip programmed up front?