ctirad

RAM320XE/576 order thread

OK, I've checked my stock of upgrades. I have two of the Ram 320XE.  Both say Rev 3.  One says batch 2 and the other batch 1. The pcb's are a bit different.  Neither have an ECI pass-through. It appears that the screws holding the shells together are under the labels, so no pictures of the pcbs are possible.  I'll sell either or both of these. PM an offer if interested.

I also have two of the earlier Ram 320XL.  This is interesting because you can map the base 16K or 64K in or out. Check the original thread(s).

The negative thing about these is that they covered up the PBI, but if one uses an SDrive, etc. no big deal.

Same deal, PM an offer if interested. (PayPal, of course.)

-Larry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

OK, I've checked my stock of upgrades. I have two of the Ram 320XE.  Both say Rev 3.  One says batch 2 and the other batch 1. The pcb's are a bit different.  Neither have an ECI pass-through. It appears that the screws holding the shells together are under the labels, so no pictures of the pcbs are possible.  I'll sell either or both of these. PM an offer if interested.

I also have two of the earlier Ram 320XL.  This is interesting because you can map the base 16K or 64K in or out. Check the original thread(s).

The negative thing about these is that they covered up the PBI, but if one uses an SDrive, etc. no big deal.

Same deal, PM an offer if interested. (PayPal, of course.)

-Larry

PM sent (for batch 1)

Edited by atari65xenajm
added a clarification.

I am attempting to test the Ram XE units.  I can't remember how to read the dip switch diagrams. Does the little white spot on the diagram indicate the position of the dip switch, or the black at the other end?

I also can't find an explanation about the "requires modification" note on the batch 2 unit for the 576 kb. Is there another thread I missed?  

hmm.. i seem to recall that the diagram read in reverse on this device...

mine is packed away atm so unable to test it but try the reverse, it might apply to yours too!

Here's what I've found (and at this point 5 years later, I can't say that I understand all that is shown in the docs): 

Switches 1....2....3 (reading from the label)

1. Down Down Down shows 64K on XRam (64 base + 64)

2. Up Down Down shows 256K on Xram (64 + 256)

3. Down Up Down shows 64K on XRam (64 + 64)

4. Up Up Down shows 512K on XRam (64 + 512)

Note that in the above that the remap is set to OFF.

Both of the Ram 320XE units show the same results, so I have to believe that they both work exactly as when I got them several years ago. I have not been able to verify some of the remap=ON as mentioned in Ctirad's docs.  I have a totally stock 130XE that performs perfectly normally when remap is OFF or when the Ram 320XE is not connected. The issue is the remap=ON setting. If I set the remap to ON, the machine will either display a black screen or stop in the middle of the boot. I have a gut feel this is an NTSC issue. But I have no PAL machines to test.  Could someone else in NTSC-land test this. Also, could someone with a PAL machine test it.

Here is the easiest-to-understand map of the settings:

Ram 320XE.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, i would really need this one, is there anyone willing to sell? I have 800XE and two left hads, any homemade mod is too difficult. 

On 12/7/2019 at 2:06 PM, ZuluGula said:

I think Sys-Check can do the same and more. 

Yep, just get a sys-check, no fancy case but it's pretty much your only option at the moment 

i dont think a case is realistically possible as the PCB sits right up to the case of the XL.

maybe for an XE but then it wouldnt be useable in an XL

The XE version can only be used with XE machines - 130XE's, 800XE's and some 65XE's (those with the full ECI connector at the rear side). The XL uses a different connector but there was a version of this expansion suitable for XL machines. And yes, these expansions can be used to expand your memory without any soldering.

Edited by pseudografx

4 hours ago, Drummerboycr said:

Hello,

This memory upgrade will work for Atari 800XL series without soldering?

Thanks

sys-check II is a solderless memory upgrade:

Late to the party 

Did anyone else ever make a RAM cart?  Any planned ones?   Nervous about opening my only fully functional Atari to mess around in it with a soldering iron.