IGNORED

New Atari-8-bit game BIRDFOOD.

mr-atari

Somehow I found this game so funny on the Vectrex aka Vogelfutter I decided to make an Atari version.

(Also to take my mind of the never ending MyBIOS programming....)

Nothing fancy, just simple and funny.

Perhaps I'm going to make some more games next year.

This is also my very first game I coded in 100% assembly.

It runs an any atari with 16k minimum.

Enjoy :-)

Don't forget to look for the egg, this will double the fun (hint).

Sijmen.

P.S.
Next Saturday on the retro-computer club-day in Maarssen: high-score contest!

• Like 14

Downloaded it but Im a bit confused.....o well, I'll see you on Saturday so you can show me ;)

The bird on the bottom flies from left to right. As soon as it is at the right the game is over.

You are that creature in the center of the screen. When you hit the fire button you crawl, so this means you keep hitting the fire button.

As you can see: when you hit the fire button the bird on the bottom of the screen goes back to the left position. As the game progresses it appears to be harder to keep the bird at the left position.

There are a few extra's

1. The holes. Since you get tired from bashing your fire button, you can rest for 10 seconds in such a hole.

2. The white thing .... when you eat that you crawl without hitting the fire button, also for 10 seconds

3. The black stripes... you can not cross these, so you have to move left and right to avoid a collision. As soon as you stop due to this lines, the bird on the bottom will get close very soon.

That's pretty it.

It's very addictive.

• Like 1

Every once in a while the game starts and never shows me any food..... can't make it without white food... might be an ntsc time thing going on as well...

I must mash the red button I must mash the red button! Then I go in the hole! Then I eat! Then I must mash the red button I must.... :)

• Like 1

Congratulations mr-atari for making a new game :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I like the style of Bird Food; Der Luchs' sound effects are particularly great :thumbsup: but perhaps you might improve the gameplay? I found constantly hitting fire a pain so I put the joystick on autofire but this wasn't really so much fun! Perhaps the speed could be fast more of the time with periods of pressing or have more auto-fire collectables... you might need another game element or something - someone else might have a suggestion?

:)

• Like 1

The lines, holes and food are completely random.

Chances (this version) are 64% line, 30% hole and 6% food.

So you have absolutely no influence on what you get next.

But I must say, the RANDOM-generator of the POKEY-chip is not that random as it seems......

The bird moves faster as the score adds-up.

In any case, you won't win this game, as mentioned, you are "birdfood"!

But perhaps less progress on the bird can extent the game-play.

Need to find the balance. Tomorrow will be a lesson to me I guess.

Auto-fire is lame, the trick is to press as fast as you can.

My nephews are really good at his!

I'm already working on an update, yes.

Going to quadruple the fun with paddles.....

Adding more random-features sounds fun to me too. :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

I'm already working on an update, yes.

Going to quadruple the fun with paddles.....

Adding more random-features sounds fun to me too. :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Nice idea, I like paddles games :thumbsup: Future: this might be a good one for 2-4 players at the same time too :)

Nice idea, I like paddles games :thumbsup: Future: this might be a good one for 2-4 players at the same time too :)

Didn't find the 2 player Easter egg yet? ;-)

wohohoho

My nephews favorite !

4 player is a bit more work, need to use a DLI to split player-graphics into 8 players (4 birds and 4 worms).

And the winner is Mr_anonymous :-)

He won a collectors Atari-mug.

with a whopping 1352 points!

I have some work to do.

-Match PAL and NTSC scoring/timing.

-Add features.

-Multiple food pick-up.

-4 player version.

-Enhanced graphics

-Better instructions.

Don't forget:

* Cartidge, Disk and Tape versions

* Nice cases and cover art

* Merchandise? (mugs, t-shirts, caps, bird droppings?)

An idea for the t-shirt would be:

Beware of the Bird

stock-vector-the-early-bird-89172250.jpg

Too slow ... Birdfood!

I have to admit it was a very addictive game, congrats on writing a new classic!

• Like 2

Any Viodes of the game play? I'm at work right now, I can't play the game. :(

The bird on the bottom flies from left to right. As soon as it is at the right the game is over.

You are that creature in the center of the screen. When you hit the fire button you crawl, so this means you keep hitting the fire button.

As you can see: when you hit the fire button the bird on the bottom of the screen goes back to the left position. As the game progresses it appears to be harder to keep the bird at the left position.

There are a few extra's

1. The holes. Since you get tired from bashing your fire button, you can rest for 10 seconds in such a hole.

2. The white thing .... when you eat that you crawl without hitting the fire button, also for 10 seconds

3. The black stripes... you can not cross these, so you have to move left and right to avoid a collision. As soon as you stop due to this lines, the bird on the bottom will get close very soon.

BTW:

Working on V1.1 as I type.

Edited by mr-atari

And the winner is Mr_anonymous :-)

He won a collectors Atari-mug.

with a whopping 1352 points!

I have some work to do.

-Match PAL and NTSC scoring/timing.

-Add features.

-Multiple food pick-up.

-4 player version.

-Enhanced graphics

-Better instructions.

Too bad I came in second.... ;)

Don't forget my request....add the option of turning your two buttons Suzo joystick sideways so I can hit the buttons with my right hand and move the joystick with the left.

This will only require that joystick down should move the worm left and joystick up right..... :D For the left-handed people you might want to reverse this ;)

Edited by Level42

This is what I mean Sijmen, "discovered" this way of playing last saturday at the club meeting :)

I hit the lower button with my thumb and the upper with my index or middle finger alternatively to get the most hits per second ;)

The problem was I now had to "think" how to move the worm left and right....had to push up to go left and down to go right....would be cool to include the option of changing the directions and should be easy enough to do I guess :)

post-25272-0-06972600-1419243661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42

Any Viodes of the game play? I'm at work right now, I can't play the game. :(

Posted a "quick and dirty" video here:

http://youtu.be/i96BQM_rkVU

Running on a 600XL and B&O CRT TV (hence the flicker). Of course there is no way I can seriously play the game with the camera in one hand and the other trying to play so _real_ gameplay is a lot more frantic :)

You can see I eat one "wormfood" in the beginning of the game. By "video game magic" you can eat the food even if you touch it with the back of your worm body....please let it stay this way Sijmen as the wormfood is already extremely rare (maybe a bit too rare in fact, Sijmen said there's a 5% change on any food....)

I couldn't hit any of the "holes" this time but here you _do_ have to hit it with the head of the worm. Your reward is a 5 second pause in the game, which is nice really believe me :)

I think the bird catches up a little bit too fast above the 1000 score then again, this keeps the games short....not a bad thing since the button hitting is really tiring for old guys like us ;)

Another suggestion: start with a thinner worm (so it actually looks like one a bit ;) ) and let it became a bit thicker when it eats "wormwood" (The white dots). A thinner worm makes the game a little bit easier in the beginning and harder after you picked up some of the wormfood...not sure if this is easy to do though.

Oh, and you told me about the "easter-egg" so I won't mention it here but people should have long figured it out....it's a lot of fun I'm sure ! :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

the new version 1.1 works on the emulator with direct XEX load.

"Bug" report:

But it WILL NOT work on the real A8 and real floppy when using DOS, Gamedos or Bootloader, since the program uses $0700-09xx .

Maybe the XEX-loader of the U1MB, SIDE, SIO2SD, SDrive, QMEG-OS or My-IDE/MyIDE-2/MyBIOS can load it (I never test this feature), but with a real floppy or ATR and DOS/Gamedos/Bootloader it will not work. (One can try to convert it into a bootdisk however with Bootmajster or similar programs, maybe it will work then.)

Think the above bug report sounds quite harsh, but this was not my intention.

Sijmen could you please use other memory adresses for your Birdfood game, e.g. $2000 upwards ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Alright Sijmen,

to make the game work with a gamedos or bootloader you may use $0A00 as lowest adress (or a little higher so that it works under various gamedos versions)...

Happy New Year to you !

And Happy New Year to all AA forum members.

A few members (from New Zealand, most likely also Australia) are already there.