IGNORED

UK Atari 1050 PSU - Where can I get one?

robaberryuk

Hi Everybody,

Hoping the collective wisdom of the forum could help me with this. I'm looking for a UK PSU for an Atari 1050 drive. The only ones I've found so far are US models and although they might work with a plug adapter, they're less than ideal. If not, if anybody knows of a non-Atari PSU that would also work, that would be really useful. Thanks in advance.

Hi Everybody,

Hoping the collective wisdom of the forum could help me with this. I'm looking for a UK PSU for an Atari 1050 drive. The only ones I've found so far are US models and although they might work with a plug adapter, they're less than ideal. If not, if anybody knows of a non-Atari PSU that would also work, that would be really useful. Thanks in advance.

A simple plug adapter won't work with a 120VAC to 9VAC Atari power supply(I believe these only work with AC to DC switching mode power supplies that are rated for both input voltages), you would need a step-down transformer. Suitable step-down transformers can be found on Amazon UK for as low as £9.99 for a 75W version.

The only 230VAC to 9VAC power supplies with over 1.6A I could find were at Maplin, they were already mentioned in post#2.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-29w-acac-fixed-voltage-9v-power-supply-l53br

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/32a-acac-fixed-voltage-9v-power-supply-n56dl

• 1 year later...

Just reviving an old topic, and my first post here, so apologies if I ask stupid questions for a while!

I've just managed to get another 800XL after owning one years ago. That works perfectly, but the 1050 that came with it has no PSU. I'm in the UK, and wondered if anybody would be able to tell me if any of the following replacements would do the job as a PSU for it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-Unregulated-9V-500mA-9Vac-AC-UK-Mains-Power-Supply-Adaptor-Charger-4-5W-/331025332911?hash=item4d12a5baaf:g:wPkAAOxyAc1SOFTo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-9Vac-9V-1000mA-9VA-Mains-AC-Adaptor-Linear-Power-Supply-5-5mmx2-1mm-2-5mm-/400712476399?hash=item5d4c5326ef:g:6uwAAOxyzqdTegBk

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/regulated-9v-600ma-acdc-power-supply-l67bq

Many thanks.

as long as your PSU is

9vAC and 3.2a - you'll be fine

the stontronics N56DL is the best for UK use - about £12-£15

Edited by Guest

JFTR: these PSUs are ridiculously overpriced on amazon.co.uk. Unless there are cheaper stores in the UK, I recommend purchasing them in Germany at stores that do not only ship to the UK, but also feature a multi-lingual websites for your convenience such as rock-gear.de or schneidermusik.de.

Edited by Thorsten Günther
  • Like 1

Thanks to Thorsten, I've ordered one with a UK plug from rock-gear.de.

Also, I found out why it is so difficult to find one in the UK now. It's because it's essentially illegal! Single output AC/AC power supplies are now subject to energy efficiency guidelines. A loophole exists whereby if they are dual output then they are allowed. A secondary auxiliary output offered by way of a small jack that will almost certainly not be used(!) needs to be present and agreed by the customer. This obviously bumps costs up. This is why Maplin have stopped selling the 9V N65DL. They sell a 12V (which has an 18V aux) because it was a more popular product than the 9V which they don't want to order in bulk at the higher price that it would need to be if it was dual output.

These are global regulations, too, so whilst some sources will obviously still exist ;) it is going to become harder to find them on sale, particularly from February when the new guidelines are enforced, so probably worth buying one now if you need one!

For those interested, this site gives an introductory overview to the regulations along with some grabs of the data. And this site is the data source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping an old thread.

I've got a CO60592 that appears dead, replaced the fuse in the plug but this hasn't changed anything. The unit seems to be getting slightly warm when plugged in but isn't sending any power to anything. Is there a fuse, in these does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know a good source for a suitable PSU for UK that has enough oomph to power up both an 800 and an 810 or 1050. I'm struggling to find a source that has reliable dimensions for the jack (is it 5.5x2.1mm?)  . If anyone can point to a good ebay link or site - that would be appreciated.