IGNORED

First Game... Cybermorph in 1/8th the number of bits!

darryl1970

Do THE MATH!

I knew in my heart of hearts that the 2600 was capable of producing an accurate Cybermorph, after finding out that HALO was a reality!

I downloaded visual bAtariBasic. I chose Cybermorph as my first killer app, and I decided to dedicate an hour or so on my proof of concept. I would have to say the logic for Skylar was pretty taxing, but everything went smoothly once figured out the complex algorithm for Sklar's artificial intelligence. Currently, she only detects ground collisions, and the enemies are not yet present.

Unfortunately, some people may say this isn't a "game", since there are no "enemies." Minor details.. :D

Hey! I got a good laugh out of it!

Latest Version:

post-13491-0-56588800-1419394459_thumb.png

Cybermorph26K_DPC_NewScroll.bin 12/23/2014

Previous Versions:

post-13491-0-70766000-1419047606_thumb.png

Cybermorph26k.bin

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 2

I volunteer to do samples. How many bytes are left and what words do you want digitized?

Oh, and during speech the screen will blank.

That would be pretty cool. This was really my first time opening anything in 2600 development, so I am not sure where to find all of the information . I know it's under 4K, so I would think that Cybermorph could be an 8K cart at least. lol.

That's gotta be the first time anyone's ever said that... :P

Yes. Well, since the Atari 2600 is only an 8-bit system, it should have 1/8 the draw distance of the Jaguar. I am sure you've heard the phrase, "Do the Math!" It's pretty simple. In fact, the code is pretty much the Jaguar game divided by 8.

This is interesting to me, I didn't know you could basically just take 64-bit jaguar code and cut it down to 8-bit, by dividing? and then expect it to run on an 8-bit atari! I thought for sure it would have to be programmed from scratch(but with the advantage of having the cybermorph source code) to make it run on the 2600. Great job. :)

• Like 1

Ha Ha.

Now I'm just showing off. :P

You still wanna laugh about Atari 2600 garbled speaking now?! ;)

Well done.

attachicon.gifWellDone2.bin

LOL! That's great! You know, I started this as just something to laugh at, but I actually have a game idea in mind now! There's something cool about spanning the generations!

I think that will be perfect when a pod is picked up!

This is interesting to me, I didn't know you could basically just take 64-bit jaguar code and cut it down to 8-bit, by dividing? and then expect it to run on an 8-bit atari! I thought for sure it would have to be programmed from scratch(but with the advantage of having the cybermorph source code) to make it run on the 2600. Great job. :)

Yeah, as I said in the Jaguar forum, I have a warped sense of humor. I really like my Jaguar, but I like to poke fun at the "bit wars", because it didn't always matter. I remember reading a serious article, where somebody claimed the 2600 was a 4-bit system. I think they just assumed it had to be lower than the 5200, 7800, NES, SMS, etc. We know that's not true.

I wanted to try vbatari basic, and I needed a subject matter. I had a funny Skylar animation already, so I decided to draw the Cybermorph ship. Then I tried picking out the Cybermorph intro much on the keyboard. It snowballed. Jinroh finally said I needed to make a game of it and post it. :)

I haven't posted a new bin, because these graphics were just me testing different kernal options. I did a dirty copy of some of the old stuff, and I added a few new things. I have a pretty busy/stressful holiday, so I wanted brainstorm for when I have time to get serious.

Now that I have samples, I have to do something more with this.. :)

post-13491-0-90486600-1419365483_thumb.png

LOL! That's great! You know, I started this as just something to laugh at, but I actually have a game idea in mind now! There's something cool about spanning the generations!

I think that will be perfect when a pod is picked up!

I might have some time get the pods working over the holidays. Is there an easy way to incorporate the voice from Visual bAtari?

For FLAPPY I used the inline command in a gosub when calling speech.

Later you can choose to make more samples with reduced quality, or less samples with excellent quality.

If you can't get it working, or I mistyped or indented examples wrong, send me a .bas source and I can get it working.

You need to define these four, using 4 ram variables:

Label
  rem Variables
  Bank 1
  dim SoundPtrLo = p
  dim SoundPtrHi = q
  dim DelayTableLo = s
  dim DelayTableHi = t
Put the subroutine at the end of a bank, probably an empty bank to start.
The subroutine:
 Bank 3
Welldone
 inline Welldone.asm
 return otherbank

remove the ".txt" from the attached assembly file, and put it in with your .bas file.

gosub Welldone bank3

(to speak)

Welldone.asm.txt