IGNORED

Mass storage on ste. Recommended options?

_ThEcRoW

Hello guys and merry christmas to all!. Since santa is coming soon i have been thinking in putting a massive storage on my ste, as the floppies can get picky at times. I have read about the ultrasatan, although i need to know if i have a good dma chip(i think got a good one, but need to assure), and also read about the gigafile sd from inventronik. Both solutions can be on external enclosure, think that i like a lot. IS there another hardware out there with similar spes. I want mainly a modest space for when is needed to do serious stuff, as the floppies get full too soon.

Thanks in advance!!!

The CosmosEx is new, and pretty awesome.

Works as a floppy emulator and an SD card reader. It can also let your Atari read from an NFS shared volume on your Mac/PC.

And if that's not enough, it also has a really cool screencasting feature that lets you control your Atari ST from a web browser on another computer.

• Like 1

Get a real hard drive setup, just like in the old days... Then you'll have "street cred"!

You want the old classic experience, I say "go big or go home!" If you're going to put all this "modern" stuff on your classic computer, you might as well just be an emulator baby! ;)

Eh, don't fret... I'm only half serious. Any Atari is good Atari in my book.

Get a real hard drive setup, just like in the old days...If you're going to put all this "modern" stuff on your classic computer, you might as well just be an emulator baby! ;)

Actually, I tend to agree with this. If you can find an ICD AdSCSI or a Link II and attach it to an external SCSI drive, you'll definitely get a much more satisfying nostalgia.

The CosmosEx is new, and pretty awesome.

Works as a floppy emulator and an SD card reader. It can also let your Atari read from an NFS shared volume on your Mac/PC.

And if that's not enough, it also has a really cool screencasting feature that lets you control your Atari ST from a web browser on another computer.

Interesting device!. But there are some things i really don't know what is for because it includes a raspberry pi. Is it really needed for it to run?.

Interesting device!. But there are some things i really don't know what is for because it includes a raspberry pi. Is it really needed for it to run?.

Besides the amazing screencasting feature I mentioned, the CE also has an IKBD injector which allows you to use USB gamepads, mice, and keyboards with your ST.

The CE also supports a sort of floppy "app store." With the CE connected, using your ST you can download .ST disk images from the internet and start playing right away.

Finally, the CE can be configured from the ST, or by SSHing into the Pi from some other PC.

The feature that I was most interested in was the network drive. It gives me a seamless way to share a folder on my Mac with the Atari.

Edited by Kirkman

I'll second the CE (CosmosEx), it connects to your DMA and floppy connector. Can load ST images and HDD images off 1 SD card, also works with USB storage, wireless dongles, joypads, keyboards, mice. The software easily updates from the net, which is good because features are being added.

Can access a network shared folder as an ST HDD

You can make partitions that are DOS/ST compatible (Tran mode)

Can be used externally or mounted in place of an ST floppy drive (like inside a 1040st, mega st, ste, tt, falcon, though I think TT compatibility is still in alpha)

I'm planning to mount mine in an SF314 case and mod my 1040ST so the internal drive could be swapped to Drive B: allowing the CE to work as drive A: even though it's second in the drive chain.

Only thing I had problems with was with a 1040st running TOS 1.00, I updated to TOS 1.04, but I've heard they almost got any problems with TOS 1.00 fixed.

I heard something about Lotharek might be interested in mass producing the device, but nothing has been agreed upon, in the meantime you can try ordering from http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384

I'll second the CE (CosmosEx), it connects to your DMA and floppy connector. Can load ST images and HDD images off 1 SD card, also works with USB storage, wireless dongles, joypads, keyboards, mice. The software easily updates from the net, which is good because features are being added.

Can access a network shared folder as an ST HDD

You can make partitions that are DOS/ST compatible (Tran mode)

Can be used externally or mounted in place of an ST floppy drive (like inside a 1040st, mega st, ste, tt, falcon, though I think TT compatibility is still in alpha)

I'm planning to mount mine in an SF314 case and mod my 1040ST so the internal drive could be swapped to Drive B: allowing the CE to work as drive A: even though it's second in the drive chain.

Only thing I had problems with was with a 1040st running TOS 1.00, I updated to TOS 1.04, but I've heard they almost got any problems with TOS 1.00 fixed.

I heard something about Lotharek might be interested in mass producing the device, but nothing has been agreed upon, in the meantime you can try ordering from http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384

"Pimp My ST"

Get a real hard drive setup, just like in the old days... Then you'll have "street cred"!

You want the old classic experience, I say "go big or go home!" If you're going to put all this "modern" stuff on your classic computer, you might as well just be an emulator baby! ;)

Eh, don't fret... I'm only half serious. Any Atari is good Atari in my book.

I had plenty of diverse classic hard disks with my Ataris. Starting from 40 MB IDE Seagate in 1992. then some 2.5 inch IDE drives, later diverse SCSI drives with Mega STE internal, more than 1 GB drives with modded Mega STE internal, then via ICD ADSCSI on any ST(E) ... And I still have most of them - some drives died in meantime. Nothing of that is comparable with some Flash card solution - what I experienced about 10 years ago first time, with 128 MB Sandisk CF card. You don't need extra power supply for external hard disk, work is faster (no mechanic, head movement) , it's silent, takes much less space on desk.

It's now almost year 2015. Using some of old classic hard disks for me is pure mazohism. Only if get such equipment for free, or for historical research purpose :)

If want genuine retro feeling use only floppies, classic monitor, or even better some old CRT TV :-o

Argument that adding all this modern stuff to an classic computer makes it emulator is ridiculous. No, but there are such solutions too - FPGA boards. Mass storage still works in old fashion way, only faster than old cheaper drives. Atari DMA design is still pretty fast - 2MB/sec speed for machine with max 4MB RAM is very good achievement. And we still don't have 100% accurate emulator, while Flash mass storage works 100% compatible with classic hard disks.

"Pimp My ST"

And easily removed should you want to go back to stock. (Not sure if you're mocking me, which is fine. I should add that I've never used an ultrasatan or any other ST mod, just bought my 1040st specifically to try out the CosmosEx.)

Also wish I was a coder, I want a utility that allows TCP->Serial so I can run un-modded ST BBS Software.