IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Season 2 Round 4 Mario Bros.

zylon

Our game for round 4 is the classic Mario Bros. Play on defaults using only real 5200 consoles and cx52 sticks. Only exception is multi-carts allowed on real hardware.

Round ends Sunday, December 28th 2014 @9pm EST

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Mario Bros - (1 Player)
atariksi 642,770
Final scores:
561,350 Cafeman +11
235,850 Kida0723 +10
159,410 roadrunner +9
146,380 atariron82 +8
127,180 zylon +7
115,460 sdamon +6
37,330 ReflectionAngle +5
Standings after 3 rounds:
Cafeman - 32
darthkur - 28
sdamon - 26
atariron82 - 22
Kida0723 - 16
ReflectionAngle - 14
zylon - 13
roadrunner - 12

Edited by zylon

I gotta say, every time this game comes up, I like it a little bit less. Oh, well... Clearly it has its fans, as it comes up quite a lot. Each to their own.

I spent a lot of quarters on this one back then and still love it now on all platforms. :) I nominated this one as the controls really do make a difference. In this case, not for the better.

The votes make it happen though.

The Chinese Mr. Mary version is pretty good as well.

Edited by zylon

I spent a lot of quarters on this one back then and still love it now on all platforms. :) I nominated this one as the controls really do make a difference. In this case, not for the better.

The votes make it happen though.

The Chinese Mr. Mary version is pretty good as well.

In smaller doses, in the past, I've always rather liked it. I agree the arcade version is especially nice, with its excellent graphics and sound. It's only been while trying to get a high score on this version that's it's begun to wear on me. It just takes a while to get hard, and when it does, it doesn't grant you the mercy of a quick death as most games do. Instead, it sends you into a never ending hell of trying to kill one Fighterfly as you endlessly try to avoid those super annoying fireballs. Ugh!

As GnR said, Just a Little Patience, us needed to clear levels once Ice guy and fireballs start appearing. It helps your score a lot if you get every bonus level coin. The timer is often on 1 or 0 as I grab the last one. The POW button is reset after bonus rounds too - I start using it to speed up clearing especially annoying rounds, as it clears all fireballs too. I like how you can hold in the jump button in this version.

Round 4 comes to a close with Cafeman delivering a dominating performance. :thumbsup: :cool: Thanks to all who played and round 5 will be up soon...

Final scores:
561,350 Cafeman +11
235,850 Kida0723 +10
159,410 roadrunner +9
146,380 atariron82 +8
127,180 zylon +7
115,460 sdamon +6
37,330 ReflectionAngle +5