IGNORED

Mr. Turtle

digress

Looks really nice! Just curious how this game is supposed to play. If I recall from the description of Mr Turtle is that he is supposed to collect pearls from both land and water. To me that opens up a lot of wonderfull graphical opportunities that could be explored. Many different screens could be done with this game to add variety to the game and game play.

Looks really nice! Just curious how this game is supposed to play. If I recall from the description of Mr Turtle is that he is supposed to collect pearls from both land and water. To me that opens up a lot of wonderfull graphical opportunities that could be explored. Many different screens could be done with this game to add variety to the game and game play.

Which brings up the issue of replayability. Perhaps digress could borrow a page from Adventure on Atari 2600 and incorporate a "randomizer" feature to make each game session different. Even the screen interconnections could be randomized to make each game a new experience in exploration. I guess that's what I really meant in the other thread when I said I would prefer a "simplified Metroid-like" game. :)

Which brings up the issue of replayability. Perhaps digress could borrow a page from Adventure on Atari 2600 and incorporate a "randomizer" feature to make each game session different. Even the screen interconnections could be randomized to make each game a new experience in exploration. I guess that's what I really meant in the other thread when I said I would prefer a "simplified Metroid-like" game. :)

Yes. I like that idea. For example you play one game and then after the first screen, screen 26 is loaded, then the next time you play the next screen is screen 14, and so on. Like you said random. Great Idea.

Interesting, Definitely have a few ideas for different screens. The randomizer idea is cool.

I was thinking of building some screens different everytime such as smurf landscapes are randomized. You seem to be thinking of a maze and you have to locate pearls. Yep that sounds promising.

Hey Like everyone else I'm sick of looking at that picture on the back of the box. Time to bring it to life.

I'm not sure at all what the gameplay would be. It always struck me as a little kids game. Kind of fun jump and run game but not too hard. That's why I started the thread. To see what other's opinions are.

Interesting, Definitely have a few ideas for different screens. The randomizer idea is cool.

I was thinking of building some screens different everytime such as smurf landscapes are randomized. You seem to be thinking of a maze and you have to locate pearls. Yep that sounds promising.

Hey Like everyone else I'm sick of looking at that picture on the back of the box. Time to bring it to life.

I'm not sure at all what the gameplay would be. It always struck me as a little kids game. Kind of fun jump and run game but not too hard. That's why I started the thread. To see what other's opinions are.

You could really do alot with this.

You could do snow scenes, desert, jungle, night, sunset etc. I always have enjoyed a game that used the different limited colors of the CV. When used right it is great to see what it can do. Just my two cents. If I can be of any help feel free to let me know.

• Like 1

I never noticed the "P" in the shell. Like you mentioned probably have to complete the word in order to either finish the game or level.

What about an anagram puzzle. First you have to figure out what the word should be before you can even quest for the pearl letters to open the cave. Maybe 5 pearls to open the treasure cave or the exit to the next level.

And if you guess wrong the pearls are destroyed and You gotta do it again.

I never noticed the "P" in the shell. Like you mentioned probably have to complete the word in order to either finish the game or level.

What about an anagram puzzle. First you have to figure out what the word should be before you can even quest for the pearl letters to open the cave. Maybe 5 pearls to open the treasure cave or the exit to the next level.

And if you guess wrong the pearls are destroyed and You gotta do it again.

I don't know how this game is supposed to be played, but I prefer just getting the pearl then advancing to the next screen. Obviously there are going to be problems in the way to your goal, such as sharks, underwater, or what ever. That is for you to decide if you plan to create this game.

32Kb same as it would have been 32 years ago would be my idea. As if it had been released back then. What would it (the game) have been?

I don't have any dibs on this . I'm just thinking about it.

One thing I did learn from my other game is not to try to put 2 games in one. Didn't have enough room left over for levels. So I think I could put a nice variety & number of levels into 32kb. The levels would not be predesigned in rom but (Randomized) from a construction algorithm so it could save on rom space and be different every time.

32Kb same as it would have been 32 years ago would be my idea. As if it had been released back then. What would it (the game) have been?

I don't have any dibs on this . I'm just thinking about it.

One thing I did learn from my other game is not to try to put 2 games in one. Didn't have enough room left over for levels. So I think I could put a nice variety & number of levels into 32kb. The levels would not be predesigned in rom but (Randomized) from a construction algoryth so it could save on rom space and be different every time.

Excellent idea. :)

So from the mockup, we have an air meter, lives, letters to collect (apparently) and a score associated to the player currently playing, which would suggest that this game could have a two-player mode. There are plenty of ideas we could discuss, but before that, it would help to establish a basic design direction.

If Coleco had finished and released this game back in the day, it probably would have been some kind of simple educational title for little kids with action-oriented features, kinda like Monkey Academy or Fathom. Do we stay on track with this design orientation, or do we forego the kiddie aspect and just go wild, to make Mr Turtle as cool a game as we possibly can within the 32K limit? :)

"or do we forego the kiddie aspect"

I suspect this would be best. Even though I'm convinced it was supposed to be an early years kids game I think keeping the look and environment and make it fun for a bunch of 40+ year olds would be the way to go.

I am asking basically if that would be okay with everyone else as well.

Excellent idea. :)

So from the mockup, we have an air meter, lives, letters to collect (apparently) and a score associated to the player currently playing, which would suggest that this game could have a two-player mode. There are plenty of ideas we could discuss, but before that, it would help to establish a basic design direction.

If Coleco had finished and released this game back in the day, it probably would have been some kind of simple educational title for little kids with action-oriented features, kinda like Monkey Academy or Fathom. Do we stay on track with this design orientation, or do we forego the kiddie aspect and just go wild, to make Mr Turtle as cool a game as we possibly can within the 32K limit? :)

"or do we forego the kiddie aspect"

I suspect this would be best. Even though I'm convinced it was supposed to be an early years kids game I think keeping the look and environment and make it fun for a bunch of 40+ year olds would be the way to go.

I am asking basically if that would be okay with everyone else as well.

Certainly. :)

This thread mentions Mr. Turtle a little: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221911-colecovision-vaporware-games-progress/

I'm only mentioning it because there's a nice picture of the Mr. Turtle character surfing on the Mr. Turtle sprinkler box.

Maybe Mr. Turtle can do some surfing in the game?

yeah start on the left complete the screen exit on the right.

the surfing turtle might be possible. certainly worth considering

I don't know how this game is supposed to be played, but I prefer just getting the pearl then advancing to the next screen. Obviously there are going to be problems in the way to your goal, such as sharks, underwater, or what ever. That is for you to decide if you plan to create this game.

This thread mentions Mr. Turtle a little: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221911-colecovision-vaporware-games-progress/

I'm only mentioning it because there's a nice picture of the Mr. Turtle character surfing on the Mr. Turtle sprinkler box.

Maybe Mr. Turtle can do some surfing in the game?

Yeah for sure. What ever is on that screen concept I'll make sure to put in. "PEARL"

The "P" and a pearl is in the same place so I read that as it is the same object. The Pearl is the First of 5 needed to complete the "PEARL" Level or course. Sort of like the Moon patrol distance is marked alphabetically a,B,C,D etc.

I think it may have just been meant as a progress indicator.

Seeing that it seems like Coleco's idea was the spell the word PEARL on the infamous mock-up screen, how about borrowing from other games like Mr. Do! and Lady Bug where you have to spell a word ( Extra ) for an added game bonus.

I slightly revised the initital concept.

I'm definitely going to move ahead with this now. I made up my mind. I'll do my best to make a good game. If it sucks it'll still be better than the version we currently have and someone else can always do their own version if they prefer.

I was thinking the animated bubbles should be part of it and not just for looks. I'm thinking the turtle would have to hold is breath to prevent bubbles from flowing upwards whenever a shark was passing over head or the shark would become aware of him and come down to to the bottom after you.

Not sure if this makes sense but it would add a divide of attention after making a jump to remember to hold your breath soon enough to make a break in the bubbles flowing upwards for the shark to pass through.

Sort of like moon patrol when you make a jump you have to be ready to blast a boulder and would have to be the other button

• Like 4

I slightly revised the initital concept.

I'm definitely going to move ahead with this now. I made up my mind. I'll do my best to make a good game. If it sucks it'll still be better than the version we currently have and someone else can always do their own version if they prefer.

I was thinking the animated bubbles should be part of it and not just for looks. I'm thinking the turtle would have to hold is breath to prevent bubbles from flowing upwards whenever a shark was passing over head or the shark would become aware of him and come down to to the bottom after you.

Quick ideas:

1) Big bubbles could rise at random intervals from the bottom of the screen, and if you catch them, it would add a few bars to the air meter at the top of the screen, so you could stay underwater a little longer.

2) Allow Mr Turtle to curl up into his shell, and the player could attack nearby enemies while in "shell mode" by using bubbles as a propulsion system. This would accelerate the depletion of the air meter, so this attack would have to be used sparingly. Mr Turtle could also use this shell attack maneuver to bump into walls or blocks, which could produce various effects.

I like the air refueling idea.

Um.. but How would he propel himself with air bubbles though. From which end are they coming out of?

For mechanics. As anyone who did swimming in fresh water lakes might know. If you force all the air out of your lungs you can sink to the bottom and walk around for 20-30 seconds. It's also kinda weightless like walking on the moon. I'm kind of thinking that if shark was coming , for instance, you could flush your air, walk on the bottom but your air timer would instantly drop to like %25 so you would have to surface quickly.

Would have to have a flap/swim option too. or maybe just push up on the controller to initiate a surfacing swim

I imagine him mostly walking along the bottom, slowly sinking after jumping from a ridge. Refueling from underwater air bubbles could solve this problem.

Does he attack stuff? Hmmm. or just avoid attacks. Like smurf doesn't attack anything. He has a big smile on his face. He doesn't seem like a killer.

I like the air refueling idea.

Um.. but How would he propel himself with air bubbles though. From which end are they coming out of?

Well, I would think that Mr Turtle would blow bubbles out of his mouth, not his @$$. LOL! :P

But this makes me realize that the player should be required to face in the opposite direction when he wants to attack:

- If the enemy is located left of Mr Turtle, Mr Turtle needs to face to the right.

- The player taps the joystick down to make Mr Turtle retract into his shell (kinda like the turtles in Super Mario Bros).

- The player presses a button to make Mr Turtle blow bubbles, which propels him to the left and bump into the nearby enemy.

For mechanics. As anyone who did swimming in fresh water lakes might know. If you force all the air out of your lungs you can sink to the bottom and walk around for 20-30 seconds. It's also kinda weightless like walking on the moon. I'm kind of thinking that if shark was coming , for instance, you could flush your air, walk on the bottom but your air timer would instantly drop to like %25 so you would have to surface quickly.

Would have to have a flap/swim option too. or maybe just push up on the controller to initiate a surfacing swim

I imagine him mostly walking along the bottom, slowly sinking after jumping from a ridge. Refueling from underwater air bubbles could solve this problem.

All these are good ideas, but the sinking mechanic begs the question: In what direction does Mr Turtle blow bubbles to sink faster? Upward? Seems to me a sink manoeuver should involve the player pressing up on the joystick while holding down a button to release a flow of bubbles. Otherwise, Mr Turtle should blow bubbles left/right, in the direction he is facing, as this would allow for other gameplay mechanics. Maybe not like Bubble Bobble, but other ideas could be devised around the concept of blowing bubbles.

Does he attack stuff? Hmmm. or just avoid attacks. Like smurf doesn't attack anything. He has a big smile on his face. He doesn't seem like a killer.

No, but we did establish that you would allow yourself to move away from the "kiddie stuff" and make a game us 40-year-olds would enjoy. I'm used to playing Super Mario Bros, so bumping critters around doesn't pose any kind of ethical problem for me. I'm sure others would agree. ;)

But anyway, these are just suggestions. This is your game, you do what you want. :)

Yeah, I don't have any problem with it either. I was just considering the impression I get from the illustration.

One of kiddiest games I have played would be bubble bobble and all you do wack little cute characters. Poor guys.

Well, I would think that Mr Turtle would blow bubbles out of his mouth, not his @$$. LOL! :P

But this makes me realize that the player should be required to face in the opposite direction when he wants to attack:

- If the enemy is located left of Mr Turtle, Mr Turtle needs to face to the right.
- The player taps the joystick down to make Mr Turtle retract into his shell (kinda like the turtles in Super Mario Bros).
- The player presses a button to make Mr Turtle blow bubbles, which propels him to the left and bump into the nearby enemy.

All these are good ideas, but the sinking mechanic begs the question: In what direction does Mr Turtle blow bubbles to sink faster? Upward? Seems to me a sink manoeuver should involve the player pressing up on the joystick while holding down a button to release a flow of bubbles. Otherwise, Mr Turtle should blow bubbles left/right, in the direction he is facing, as this would allow for other gameplay mechanics. Maybe not like Bubble Bobble, but other ideas could be devised around the concept of blowing bubbles.

No, but we did establish that you would allow yourself to move away from the "kiddie stuff" and make a game us 40-year-olds would enjoy. I'm used to playing Super Mario Bros, so bumping critters around doesn't pose any kind of ethical problem for me. I'm sure others would agree. ;)

But anyway, these are just suggestions. This is your game, you do what you want. :)