IGNORED

Mr. Turtle

digress

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or not but It's fun to work on.

Wasting your time? Definitely not! There are not many platformers available for this system and just the fact that you are bringing vapourware to life is amazing. Looks great :)

• Like 3

The part in bold is the most important. If you enjoy programming, then it's fantastic. Mr. Turtle is looking great. I'm also looking forward seeing the 3D print cartridges of this game.

its definatly fun. and this will get finished. I keep thinking I should be developing for android or something like that. perhaps next . I've been doing a bit of that as well(android/windows) but it's less interesting than the colecovision. too bad its not 30 years ago then I'd be cutting edge. well maybe 33 years ago.

Wasting your time? Definitely not! There are not many platformers available for this system and just the fact that you are bringing vapourware to life is amazing. Looks great :)

I personally think there is something much cooler about developing for CV. Everyone is developing for Android/iOS and 99.9999% of the apps out there get lost in the clutter. Something like this at least has a dedicated fan base and a group of people who is super appreciative of the hard work that is being done.

• Like 3

great looking game so far!

but he's a turtle, and he should move slower on land or on the ground in the water because turtles are slow. and you know what it's like as a human trying to walk in

water, it's slow moving. i like the fast swimming, but not the fast walking underwater on the ground.

and out of the water on dry ground he should crawl on his belly, but still be able to jump and attack.

I don't know maybe it's just me. anyone else want to jump in on this?

the progress you making is awesome! keep up the good work. and i'm looking forward to playing the finished product.

good points. I actually sped him up recently. What I was finding was it's boring if everything is too slow even if more realistic. You could see everything coming such as the boulder and it was just too easy. In fact expect the pitch forks & coconuts to start moving faster.

I worked in animation actually on tv shows and one of the shows was called "franklin the turtle". He's kind of based on that as well so he's upright walking and so was the original illustration of Mr. Turtle that I seen. He can go into shell mode so he is a turtle.. kind of. Clearly a turtle walks on all fours and slowly normally but he is anthropomorphic which basically makes him more human like characteristics

What I could do is make the gravity 1/2 when under water perhaps or perhaps the walking speed. I can try that see how it plays. The result of which though is you can make huge moon like jumps and you essentially rarely touch the bottom at all and thus spikes, terrain etc. You do have the ability to negate gravity though at any time by swimming so you can make it across chasims but it doesn't help when you are in the mountains.

If you fall 1/2 as fast but also move left & right half as fast you should pretty much be able to make the same distance jump as if you where above in the air just slower. Hmmm. it might work. I'll try it .

great looking game so far!

but he's a turtle, and he should move slower on land or on the ground in the water because turtles are slow. and you know what it's like as a human trying to walk in

water, it's slow moving. i like the fast swimming, but not the fast walking underwater on the ground.

and out of the water on dry ground he should crawl on his belly, but still be able to jump and attack.

I don't know maybe it's just me. anyone else want to jump in on this?

the progress you making is awesome! keep up the good work. and i'm looking forward to playing the finished product.

I wasn't sure how that was going to go over. I expected maybe 3-4 people to be interesed but it turned out to be a pretty popular option and made a bunch of the last game with the 3d label.

I'll certianly make that an option or a similar idea as well as the traditional label which I improved since so it's now 1 piece.

The part in bold is the most important. If you enjoy programming, then it's fantastic. Mr. Turtle is looking great. I'm also looking forward seeing the 3D print cartridges of this game.

Very much looking forward to this little gem and also can't wait to get a few variant 3D cart shells for my collection.

Wasting your time? ... If you got some fun , it is not time wasting. And in addition, you will make happy lot of guys like me who are looking foward your game to be released! i LOVE this kind of game.

Of course if you want to be rich , you have more chance if you "waste" your time developping on Android or IOS. :) But it is lot of less fun (at least IHMO),

Just a little remark about your graphism. The rocks under the Goat , i don't like too much the pattern you did. It could be may be better to do something inspired from what we can see in Wing War for instance.

Wing%20War%20(1983)%20(Imagic)_0004.gif

May be Talented Graphist like Pixelboy , RetroIllucid or Crapahute , could propose something.

Cool, I reused tiles there to save space. I'll see what I can do. I have to get the goats working first. and I need the devils moving too.

Getting rich is not a priority in my life. Looking forward to "Knights & More" too. I certainly will be getting a copy.

Wasting your time? ... If you got some fun , it is not time wasting. And in addition, you will make happy lot of guys like me who are looking foward your game to be released! i LOVE this kind of game.

Of course if you want to be rich , you have more chance if you "waste" your time developping on Android or IOS. :) But it is lot of less fun (at least IHMO),

Just a little remark about your graphism. The rocks under the Goat , i don't like too much the pattern you did. It could be may be better to do something inspired from what we can see in Wing War for instance.

Wing%20War%20(1983)%20(Imagic)_0004.gif

May be Talented Graphist like Pixelboy , RetroIllucid or Crapahute , could propose something.

I'm not wasting my time. I know. And making a colecovision game that I always wanted to play is particularily fun.

I think what I meant was if it looks like it sucks and everyone hates it but no one tells me.

I like making games. It's hard to judge how it's going sometimes because I'm more focused on solving a particular problem & might not see the bigger picture.

The other one from the coleco back that I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLAY was the "tunnels & trolls". Might have to look at that in the future. I do have the dungeons & trolls from collectorvision before anyone says & it's excellent. I have Alcazar and it was really good.

I think the masters of the universe would be fantastic too & the pink panther. Difficult because no one will allow them to be made.

I am casually working on other concepts in case I finish this game suddenly.

A three little pigs game. Not much to the concept right now but there is more to it thought out.

level1(colecovision pallette)

This was a game I actually have as a tabletop & The subject is off limits but the style of an lcd game done on coleco could turn out nice. This was Pixelboys idea not mine but I did want to see how it might look at coleco reolution & pallete

dkjr4

• Like 4

I'm not wasting my time. I know. And making a colecovision game that I always wanted to play is particularily fun.

I think what I meant was if it looks like it sucks and everyone hates it but no one tells me.

Ah, okay, so by "wasting your time", what you actually meant is "wasting your time making a game that's not particularly good".

Well, if you're looking for constructive criticism in order to improve the gameplay experience without social incident, then you need to add a private alpha-testing phase to your development effort. Assemble a small team of four people, give them the nicknames Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Donnatello and Raphael, and ask them to play the game and give you their honest opinions about the controls, difficulty level and in-game features. An alpha-testing phase isn't about looking for bugs (that's what beta-testing is for) it's more like a focus group that aims at making the game the best it can be. The downside is that you have to be willing to implement suggestions offered by others, and sometimes those suggestions come in conflict with your own vision of the game. Call it an ego thing. :)

(I was just kidding about the nicknames, of course.) ;)

This was a game I actually have as a tabletop & The subject is off limits but the style of an lcd game done on coleco could turn out nice. This was Pixelboys idea not mine but I did want to see how it might look at coleco reolution & pallete

Looks good! :D If you're interested in such a project, then you should be the one to program the Coleco Tabletop Collection I once suggested (Pac-Man + Galaxian + Frogger + Donkey Kong + Ms Pac-Man). If you want a copy of the graphics I created, just let me know. :)

I poorly thought out the wasting my time statement. Just a moment of self doubt.

The tabletop thing is interesting. I was surprised how good the graphics might look on coleco even with a quick conversion. This is one of the best tabletops games too. It would be all tiles so you might be able to do 2 or 3 in a 32kb cartridge.

Did you convert those graphics to C tables and see how big they all were on average by chance?

The tabletop thing is interesting. I was surprised how good the graphics might look on coleco even with a quick conversion. This is one of the best tabletops games too. It would be all tiles so you might be able to do 2 or 3 in a 32kb cartridge.

All tiles? I don't think so... You'd need sprites to place Junior's face on top of his brown body parts drawn on a black background.

Did you convert those graphics to C tables and see how big they all were on average by chance?

You mean for Pac-Man, Galaxian and the rest? I'm afraid not. I just did the graphics with MS Paint and didn't go any further than that. I'm too busy these days to do the conversion, but perhaps someone out there (maybe Kiwi) could do it with ICVGM? It wouldn't be a big job... :)

Here is an updated video on real colecovision hardware scanlines and moira effect and everything.

Now with working goats

They still need some adjustments

New graphics for the Mountains as well since I was able to compress the music I now have room.

Significant reprogramming of the music technique though it probably sounds the same it is about 1/8 the data size now.

• Like 8

I love it!!! Really nice! Can't wait to play it! If I can give one bit of feedback though, I think some of the slanted playfield sections look a bit unpolished because the character doesn't look natural when climbing them. Example is here:

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 23.22.43.png

But these platforms...WOW! They look great and feel very natural the way the character interacts with them:

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 23.21.20.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 23.21.33.png

Maybe consider making that first section less rampy and use smaller platforms instead? Kind of like Smurf Rescue. That was the only thing that stood out to me as looking odd. Everything else...FANTASTIC!

Edited by TPR