IGNORED

(WIP) Super Pixel Brothers

catsfolly

I did a search on the internet, but couldn't find in CP1610 powered toasters. Too bad.

Some of the chips and other components in the Intellivision (including the CP1610) get very warm. Perhaps you could make toast directly on an Intellivision logic board? ;-)

It'd be more elegant than this, possibly.

• Like 2

It looks like the kits are still unobtainable. I definitely want one. :) thanks for the find!

Of course, this also makes me think about how having a secondary display of any kind might be cool (not necessarily useful) in an Intellivision game, and how it might be hooked up. The Dreamcast unsuccessfully tried to use VMUs to support games like Dino Crisis for ammo and health stats.....

I found a link for the Super Pixel Brothers kit. It is at :

http://store.iteadstudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=493

It seems to require a fair amount of soldering skill though. The Digipixel and an arduino might be an easier approach (but I'm not sure that the Super Pixel Brothers game runs on that combination...)

Catsfolly

Edit - Oops, it says SOLD OUT at the end. Looks like the bare board really is available, though...

Edited by catsfolly

How to play:

Get to the exit. Press the jump button to jump. Avoid holes in the floor.

Red tiles on the floor are lava - they are dangerous.

Light Blue tiles on the floor are water. You can't swim, so avoid them.

You get an extra life every 500 points. The display shows 9 lives even if you have more.

You can take out the bad guys by jumping on top of them.

To beat the Boss levels you have to jump on the boss character a specified number of times.

If you land on the boss arena floor (or another floor at that height) the count is reset.

You get two points for taking out most blocks, but some blocks (randomly) are worth 5 points.

Changes from the original version:

1. In the original the player has to press up to switch levels. I left this out accidentally but left it that way because the player never presses up at any other time so it seemed counter intuitive to me to suddenly require them to do it.

2. It seemed jarring to me to go from one level to the next in a single frame, so I added a transition, where the new level is painted over the old level ("Just like Star Wars") :)

3. In my ported version I was somehow able to shoot the boss in one shot, and this didn't open the door. This was annoying, so I added code to disable shooting in the boss zone.

4. Sometimes the bullet gets hung up bouncing around the screen, so I was never sure if I had a bullet available or not. So I added a bullet to the LCD display to tell me when I could shoot (it is probably not possible to draw a bullet on the LCD - maybe it should display a B instead?)

5. I added more sound effects for the player jumping, and hitting the ground, and the bullet bouncing - just because I could...

Catsfolly

• Like 5

Hey - Brad Slattery, the designer of the original Super Pixel Brothers game, talked about this project on his website:

http://www.bradsprojects.com/super-pixel-bros-on-the-intellivision/

He did misspell my name, but other than that it was a good writeup. ;-)

The project also got covered by Intellivision Revolution:

http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/entries/intellivision-homebrew-games/super-pixel-brothers-for-intellivision

Catsfolly

• Like 4

Hey - Brad Slattery, the designer of the original Super Pixel Brothers game, talked about this project on his website:

You know, I made the very same 'Dragonstomper' mistake the first time I referred to someone on AA. That classifier is right above the avatar where a name should be.

I know my eyes tended to grok it like this:

post-14113-0-05481900-1420471787_thumb.png

• Like 2

You know, I made the very same 'Dragonstomper' mistake the first time I referred to someone on AA. That classifier is right above the avatar where a name should be.

I know my eyes tended to grok it like this:

attachicon.gifdragonstomper.png

Yeah, the word above the picture would logically be the person's name. It makes sense (unless you know better...) Who would guess that it's a ranking of one's posting proclivity...

Cats "Dragonstomper" folly

Edited by catsfolly

Ah, Dragonstomper, I remember that guy. When I started in this forum a few years ago, every time I had a question, Dragonstomper was there to answer it. What a cool guy.

And we had so much in common! Every thread I went to, he would always be there. And he would respond to every post I made. Hmmm, yeah, that was kinda creepy.

:lol:

-dZ.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

The project also got covered by Intellivision Revolution:

http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/entries/intellivision-homebrew-games/super-pixel-brothers-for-intellivision

Catsfolly

I have just revisited this forum and noticed my mistake! Sorry about that Dragoncat. I've also fixed your name up on my website :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

*bump*

Just checking to see if this awesomeness has any updates for 2017. Since IntyBASIC has evolved since 2014, I thought I would bother you check.

Thanks.

Freeweed shamed me into it! Here is a version of Super Pixel Brothers that requires no extra ram.

(_ner means No Extra Ram)

This version should run on anything - Intellicart, cc3, LTO flash, Hive, CP1610 powered toasters, anything!

Of course, I've only tested it on the emulator. But it doesn't require special memory or multicart capabilities...

attachicon.gifspb_ner.rom

attachicon.gifspb_ner.bas

attachicon.gifsticdefs.bas

Have fun,

Catsfolly

• Like 1

*bump*

Just checking to see if this awesomeness has any updates for 2017. Since IntyBASIC has evolved since 2014, I thought I would bother you check.

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

This is not really my game, it is just a port of RetroBrad's game.

But I do have some ideas on how to improve the Intellivision version - now I just have to find the time to work on it...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/25/2014 at 6:41 PM, intvnut said:

Back then that was impossible. Now we have the Amico coming in October

Well, there's the Wii U now, with its tablet-infused controllers. Also, at some point network gaming just gave everyone a dedicated system and private view, starting in the early 90s. I think that took a lot of pressure off of dedicated hardware in the controller.