IGNORED

Enhanced IK

pavros

By the way, if I may ask, do you bother if other programmers fill the 48K with some "wonders" , if you agree of course... (not speaking about myselve, because i have no time)

I don't mind if anyone enhances IKEE but I'm reluctant to give out the source code.

Perhaps even more backgrounds could be added and some sort of competition held to design them (not sure how many you can fit in, but if not enough room could perhaps be another version). When you get good at the game seeing all the backgrounds is the real incentive to keep playing.

There is 48k of standard 130XE memory still unused. It allows for adding about 20 packed background pictures including their DLI code.

Thanks for the replies, Heaven and Tezz... I should have been more specific and asked Pavros what method did he use for IK Enhanced.

The game runs too slow on my half-breed 800 (NTSC machine with PAL ANTIC). I'm guessing it's detecting NTSC, though the machine now runs at 50hz display rate. Is there an easy way to fix this? Would Heaven's VCOUNT method read my machine as PAL?

IKEE just checks GTIA PAL register. I didn't consider such PAL/NTSC hybrid hardware. I will do it next time I release something for A8. Btw, have you also changed quartz resonator to fit PAL timing? I'm curious because it would probably affect color signal generation by NTSC GTIA.

• Like 1

OK. And how many of those areas exist per protagonist?

There are 27 (out of 57) animation frames assigned vulnerable areas. Single animation frame is assigned 2 to 6 vulnerable areas. Maximum 2 areas are exposed per single attact technique of the opponent.

Got to level 10 today. Found on my arcade stick button mashing is NOT the thing to do. You have to hold the button to complete the kick. Its all about distances and how close the bad guy is..too bad you could not cheat with a street fighter 2 fireball now and then. Or some throwing stars from the game ninja.

IKEE just checks GTIA PAL register. I didn't consider such PAL/NTSC hybrid hardware. I will do it next time I release something for A8. Btw, have you also changed quartz resonator to fit PAL timing? I'm curious because it would probably affect color signal generation by NTSC GTIA.

The only thing changed in my 800 is the ANTIC chip. Colors are still correct for NTSC, but screen refreshes at 50hz and gives me the longer VBLANK interrupt time needed for some PAL games, like Marbled and Qb. It works like a charm nearly always - the only games that give me trouble are ones that check $D014 and decide my machine is NTSC. When the software adjusts the speed slower, it is TOO slow - everything is already timed for 50hz.

I though this was a relatively common modification here in NTSC land, but maybe I'm just a very small minority.

Either way, please don't take this as a complaint... IK is one of my favorite A8 games, and I appreciate all the work you've put into making it even better. I just need to drag out one of my unmolested NTSC machines to run it properly.

• Like 1

Humm, if Missiles aren't used then just thought, I think that PF3 isn't used on the guys scanlines because you have there ground colour, black, pink and guys clothes white and red where one of them is Players so they are 4colours PFs and 1colour as Players. Using PF3 as chars/PFs would cause clash but it's possible to use it in Missiles in 5th Player mode and set PF3 colour to something like yellow [EE].

Why not something like in Ninja and throwing stars? One star can be two Missiles/4pixels so we can have two. Each guy starts with one star and thow it any time to the other, then the star is on the floor that you again or your opponent can pick-up.

This way one can have one, two or any. It will be an addiction and like Ninja you have to use the star when you really need to and also not try to pick-up a star that is near your opponent and get hurt.

Just an idea that I had after and thanks to Snicklin to said that the Missiles aren't used.

:-P

Edited by José Pereira

Just an idea that I had after and thanks to Snicklin to said that the Missiles aren't used.

:-P

I'm not sure if the missiles are used or not. I haven't played the updated game yet.

It's just that I have added some a couple of vertical bars made from missiles to "Escape the Night Garden" which are useful for energy / time bars.

From ALTIRRA in Debug Mode the guys part has:

BAK: ground

PF0: black

PF1: white

PF2: pink

PF3: white (not used)

Prior is set to 1 so this way red guy goes above white player.

All PMGs are in red but are the Missiles used? Seeing the frames [4Players x 8pixels = 32pixels] that seems more than enough for the guy clothes soo there's no need to use Missiles I think...

Sorry just had that idea and the game is great like it is and again Pavros did a great job :thumbsup:

P.s.- And something I remember from old technical talkings about IK is that sometimes PMGs are the red guy and sometimes its the white one so that the one that is in front of the other constantly changes.

But this way if you change the PF to red then how will be the back guy still white? Never got this part (if there is 3Players on a guy and the other P3_white for the back guy and Prior set to 4 this will work but using Prior1?)

Maybe one day I'll get this or someone kindly will explain;-)

What does a8 do?

If I only write .gtia on the ALTIRRA debug I'll get the same.

Ok Prior says 1 but that doesn't mean that Missiles are in use.

They seem to be used (this time I can see that they have xPos set) when the guys change and the white is in front, when this PMGs are white and PF its red.

This way then how the backs guy? If it's still white how? PMG there in Prior1 and you'll have that white badly over the white guy.

The way I see is that all these guys changing priorities would always work and simple if using

Prior4 and PMGs to red then the one that goes in front or behind its just the masking.

Like now:

BAK: ground

PFs: black, white and pink

soo if using PRIOR4 and Red clothe in the guy over [00] you'll have it in front or on the back by the way you're doing in the 'bitmap masking' on the guys soft sprites.

P.s.- And this way we'll have the Missiles free but Ok as Archer didn't need them for anything else but if he thought in having something like the throwing stars then having Missiles to use and another colour, the PF3 one seems to me a good solution.

:)

Edited by José Pereira

The only thing changed in my 800 is the ANTIC chip. Colors are still correct for NTSC, but screen refreshes at 50hz and gives me the longer VBLANK interrupt time needed for some PAL games

Hmm. Then your POKEY is clocked as for NTSC, but ok - the difference in PAL and NTSC clock we can consider negligible. Anyway, in my opinion the mod should also contain GTIA PAL register modification as reading this register is an official way to check machine's TV system. Such mod is relativly simple and could be done using single GAL chip. This approach would be more correct than patching all the software which checks TV system according to the specs.

Edited by pavros

Why not something like in Ninja and throwing stars?

A finishing move?? j/k!!

Energy bars for multiple hits? What about a "Double K.O"/draw match?

Interesting ideas, but I think they would not fit the game title. It looks like there is a need for new fighting game for A8 - more close to Mortal Combat :).

• Like 4

In my watching of the fights the clothes maximum wide I saw was the guy loose and is on the ground that is 31pixels I think...

Well, the single animation frame may be up to 40 pixels wide and the code preparing "the cover" assumes that clothing pixels may appear in any of 40 columns. In practice there may be feet and head of the figter at utmost positions which do not require covering. So you may be right that the clothing's maximum width is 31 pixels. I've never analysed it.

Interesting ideas, but I think they would not fit the game title. It looks like there is a need for new fighting game for A8 - more close to Mortal Combat :).

I still like the extending of International Karate but I do think that there should also be something with the more modern style of Mortal Kombat.

If the Spectrum can do this, can the A8 do something similar?

OK, it doesn't have to be 50/60fps, but would 10fps be possible? That would be much better than the Spectrum example. Even 5fps is good.

• Like 1

Hmm. Then your POKEY is clocked as for NTSC, but ok - the difference in PAL and NTSC clock we can consider negligible. Anyway, in my opinion the mod should also contain GTIA PAL register modification as reading this register is an official way to check machine's TV system. Such mod is relativly simple and could be done using single GAL chip. This approach would be more correct than patching all the software which checks TV system according to the specs.

Agreed. I would do this, but it is beyond my present abilities to design such a mod. But I'd like to learn. ;)

Anyway, I will stop hijacking your thread with this off-topic rambling. I'm moving this discussion here. Thank you again for making a great game greater!

Edited by adam242

Outstanding work, simply bloody outstanding.As an 800XL owner at the time, i'd of liked to have seen more 64K games on the market, but there simply was'nt the user base out there to justify it i guess.

If anyones thinking of doing enhanced versions of A8 games, reckon anyone could start with 'simpler' (?) fixes 1st (maybe sort out the ball movement on A8 Arkanoid, do something with the controls on Rampage and Green Beret perhaps, then things like Thrust be looked at? maybe 64K+ version of Green Beret? get more variety in backdrops etc?.
:-) The above is'nt meant as a serious suggestion per say guys, just me looking back all misty-eyed and wondering what could of been done had things been different on the commercial A8 scene at the time.
  • Like 1

Dropzone was one of the first games I really got addicted to. It's still one of my most favorite games ever.

Edit:

OH I thought I was on the last page of the thread where I read Heaven's post about drop zone, but it was on page 1… so my comment does not make much sense. Sorry

Edited by ProWizard