pavros

Enhanced IK

Amazing enhancements btw. It's appreciated a lot! Thanks!

Any chance a 64K version with all the features can be done for a AtariMax cart? That would be great to add to the The!Cart collection, so it can all run on my stock 800XL.

If not, no problem!

Edited by ProWizard

I'm sure it's technically possible. Where can I find any specs of AtariMax cartridge (regarding bank switching)?

Anyone know if this can get hacked for NTSC colors? Looks like crap on NTSC. (right)

post-3709-0-36837200-1545015300_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Technically it should be quite simple to just change the colours, surely its not harder that finding register and altering what is being stored there?

DLI's might be more fun but for a hacker better than me it should be a walk in the park to just HACK it, I can't imagine anyone bothering to do a video format detecting routine with alternate palettes.. ..But who knows..

Edited by Mclaneinc

The backgrounds in IK are fairly complex - not just simple bitmaps with DLI enhancements - it's probably the first time PM graphics were used effectively in a game to enhance backdrop images.

But as for those nasty NTSC colours - can be changed but chances are there's more than one.

Additional - would be nice to have the wrought iron fence like the real deal - and note from the street view that there's a fair bit of artistic licence in that the perspective and scaling is all wrong. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.8497835,151.2113519,2a,75y,185.15h,90.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4SLMX5WNj25CuAk_gY_T8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone know if this can get hacked for NTSC colors? Looks like crap on NTSC. (right)

Don't worry about your current NTSC color rendition, as it corresponds to modern / contemporary NTSC color-decode. No need at all to modify the game itself.

post-29379-0-34063700-1559421369_thumb.jpeg

I will post later today, how it really looks (and how to compensate) for the older color-decode, which is where most of Atari's color rendition (and main reference) comes from.

You can save those adjustments on your video processor, or simply your TV / Monitor (CRT or LCD), as long as they retain them for each video input available.

Stay tuned!

Edited by Faicuai

Posted (edited)

Don't worry about your current NTSC color rendition, as it corresponds to modern / contemporary NTSC color-decode. No need at all to modify the game itself.

attachicon.gif9FF5B8FA-9A96-4FBD-AFF7-C6ED5E549100.jpeg

OMG. If only you had posted this - which I assume to be an example of the "ENTIRE, COMPLETE, FULL video-signal", the irrefutable virtues of which are extolled here - in the other thread, all of us narrow-crop luddites could have been enjoying the DMA and PMG junk in the borders for two or three days now. Why was this visual revelation kept secret for so long?

It's no wonder, meanwhile, that the calibration of Phisan's CRT monitor (with its miserly borders and complete lack of random crap at the sides of the display) caused you so much consternation. The extra information - so vital to enjoying these titles at their full potential, free of the constraints of older, inferior technology and of outdated modes of thinking - so clearly optimises the fidelity and flexibility of the viewing experience.

Anyway: better late than never. Hold my beer while I attempt to dial in something similar on my lowly consumer LCD display. Thank you so much!

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

OMG. If only you had posted this - which I assume to be an example of the "ENTIRE, COMPLETE, FULL video-signal", the irrefutable virtues of which are extolled here - in the other thread, all of us narrow-crop luddites could have been enjoying the DMA and PMG junk in the borders for two or three days now. Why was this visual revelation kept secret for so long?

It's no wonder, meanwhile, that the calibration of Phisan's CRT monitor (with its miserly borders and complete lack of random crap at the sides of the display) caused you so much consternation. The extra information - so vital to enjoying these titles at their full potential, free of the constraints of older, inferior technology and of outdated modes of thinking - so clearly optimises the fidelity and flexibility of the viewing experience.

Anyway: better late than never. Hold my beer while I attempt to dial in something similar on my lowly consumer LCD display. Thank you so much!

Here you go! I feel very generous today...(And with a click of a button, from my remote! ;-)

post-29379-0-75418900-1559424766_thumb.jpeg

Posted (edited)

attachicon.gif9FF5B8FA-9A96-4FBD-AFF7-C6ED5E549100.jpeg

I will post later today, how it really looks (and how to compensate) for the older color-decode, which is where most of Atari's color rendition (and main reference) comes from.

You can save those adjustments on your video processor, or simply your TV / Monitor (CRT or LCD), as long as they retain them for each video input available.

Stay tuned!

Ok, going back to where we left this: since NTSC color-decoding changed along the way, and since we simply don't have black/white/gamma of both Atari's color output and a reference production display, the only way to try getting "better" colors is to work on the perceptual department.

This means that we can only hope to maximize the # titles that should look "right", at the expense of a (hopefully) smaller group of titles that will NOT do better (e.g. we will "shift" the perceptual errors on the chart where it harms the least).

Below is the resulting ACP (Atari Control Picture) chart that shows how colors end up after some targeted adjustments:

post-29379-0-78864000-1559600564_thumb.jpeg

The simplest procedure would be as follows (assumes display white-point @ 6,500K):

1. Let the computer stand for 180 minutes (3 hours), minimum, idle (doing nothing), with the LCD/CRT ON.

2. Load ACP and, and RETARD phase (hue) on TV, LCD / Processor or CRT, until ROW 1 (below gray-scale) turns yellow-GOLD (not light yellow or orange, just plain GOLD).

3. Proceed and adjust color-pot on the Atari, until you get a) a grayish-blue (with maybe a minor hint of green) on cell A0 (actual color value, 160d), AND until row F is DIFFERENT from rows E, and 1 (otherwise you will end up with a 240 colors machine, which is a past mistake in color-calibration).

4. You can iterate between 2 & 3 as much as you feel is needed to get everything right.

With the above procedure, you will get YELLOWS, GREENS, REDs and BLUEs right, most of the time, BROWNS will be hit or miss, and orange-yellows will be a problem, since the procedure shifts most of perceptual error to rows E & F (E0 to F7). Titles like Star League baseball will be examples.

For general validation of the above adjustment (or your OWN adjustment), please, download APX's "NATIONAL FLAGS", where you will have a "firm" perceptual reference, since you either get these known flags RIGHT or WRONG (they exist or existed on their own, and their color reproduction is not subject to questioning). Probably the best way to make sure you are on the safe side, especially with yellows, reds, greens and blues.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1