IGNORED

Question for you guys about "Bently Bear's Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

The TIA version would not have background music but would have all sound effects.

A TIA only version, especially one without background music, would diminish the game, quite considerably.

I'll support whatever you think is best, Bob; however, I rather pay more and/or wait longer for a POKEY version. The POKEY music is a huge part of this game, IMHO.

If a TIA only version, my humble two cents is it would need TIA background music as well, just to be respectable to the original POKEY version.

(Just to note that I don't have the ROM space to add both TIA and Pokey audio in the same cart like the '320' versions of Pac-Man).

Is a CPUWIZ VersaBoard/MegaCart an option? Would one of the available configurations allow for enough ROM space to include both TIA and POKEY code?

• Like 2

TIA background music really isn't an option, as there are only two TIA channels, one of which would be used for sound FX. Assuming of course you don't use a second TIA on the cart itself. Plus the music won't be near as cool as POKEY, the TIA simply doesn't have the note range, although it does allow for more waveforms.

Whatever you feel is best, but I think the POKEY or HOKEY version, if at all possible, is the way to go. Hopefully HOKEY isn't too far off.

A TIA only version, especially one without background music, would diminish the game, quite considerably.

I'll support whatever you think is best, Bob; however, I rather pay more and/or wait longer for a POKEY version. The POKEY music is a huge part of this game, IMHO.

Completely agree, I could not say it better.

• Like 1

Do you think you can make the initial run(s) with a pokey chip socket and we add our own chip? I suspect anyone on this board can get a pokey if required from online or another fellow member? I certainly world not mind putting in my own chip.

I also suspect if you make a non pokey version with different artwork or something different on the label or in the game it too will be bought by most people here..but that is my guess..I know I would be open to these options.

• Like 2

Do you think you can make the initial run(s) with a pokey chip socket and we add our own chip?

This is an interesting idea. I've got a spare POKEY that might work--might not, too, but I can always pick one up if it doesn't. Good thinking.

While I did say a TIA version would be cool, I also think added cost for POKEY sound is worth every cent. You won't get a single person

bitching that it cost them X amount of dollars more so the game was as fuckin' awesome as it could be. Only people who never intended

to buy anything in the first place talk like that as we all know

EDIT: Here is a dude with tons of PAL Ballblazers for $10 a pop. Perhaps he would cut a deal for buying in bulk?

Release the Kraken.

Please.

Start with the TIA version, still make sure that there will be a Pokey/Hokey version so people that really want to wait can.

It is not a bad idea to have a "add your own Pokey" version as well.

So I see:

1) BBCQ VE (TIA only)

2) BBCQ + Pokey

3) BBCQ + Pokey open socket kit, with separate decal [wouldn't want to break the art to unscrew the cartridge]

If you find a more versatile PCB board then by any means have BBCQ detect Pokey and fallback on TIA if not available.

Case 3 above in open socket should not add much to the cost (I know, someone needs to solder the socket and that takes time) compared to the full Pokey (which I expect to be minimum around 10US$, that needs to be soldered too).

2 and 3 can really be one and the same but only if you can get really fast at soldering sockets!!! [meaning the full Pokey version is also socketed].

Case 3 above is really a stopgap until you can get a steady supply of Pokey/Hokey at reasonable prices. If you have to add to each the cost of labor to desolder then it's even better to have a TIA only, it will show the price differential.

To anyone that thinks that everyone else has to wait for the Pokey version or the game is "incomplete" I can just say, grow up, the power is in having choices, not in forcing a single view down everyone's throat. If a TIA only version means we'll play it sooner or at all then let it be.

I admire the developers for attempting to open up more choices .... it's great!!!

Edited by phoenixdownita

There was an original design for the "Commando" cart that allowed 512KB of ROM and Pokey (it basically used 6 bits at the hot spot for bank selection on A000...BFFF).

Don't know if that makes it more versatile or not and I haven't seen a single PCB implementing it.

Not sure why Atari PCBs wouldn't support all 8 bits for a total of 4MB (256 pages of 8KB each).

My statement was only in relation to whatever board he's using now, Versa or otherwise, to allow for a single code supporting TIA & Pokey as his initial statement was that he currently cannot.

Edited by phoenixdownita