IGNORED

Trying to connect ST to a modern television?

lavyrnia

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect my old Atari ST to a flatscreen TV (Toshiba model 37RL853).

I'm not 100% clear on all of the AV terms when it comes to connecting things, so bear with me, but this is what I've got so far:

-- Atari ST - connected to mains (duh) and connected directly to the TV with a phono-to-RF connector (i.e. plugs into the coax input on the TV).

-- TV is on ATV mode, not digital, and I've run a scan to tune it in

-- It finds the Atari signal on Channel 50 but no matter how I try to fine-tune the signal, the best I can get is a dodgy, fuzzy signal which flickers and jumps about and also sometimres flickers red/B&W.

-- The cable I'm using to connect is brand new from Maplins today so I doubt it's a faulty cable?

Any ideas what might be happening here and more importantly, how I can get the Atari to work on the TV?

Many thanks in advance for any help :-)

Danielle

an STFM has the coax output where as a F doesnt.. if you do have an FM you can also buy a composite cable that will output video. if you look at the atari ST badge it will have a little F or FM or E on it after the ST

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I have looked and I have Atari 520ST FM - so I guess it's the FM version I have.

It's just a bit strange since in the past, I always had a cable which looks identical to the one I have now, and it plugged into the Television port (phono) of the Atari and straight into the Coax of the TV, with no troubles tuning it in. Though the TV I am using now is more modern, perhaps that's why? (It can't find anything on channels other than 50).

You mention I can get a composite cable instead - is that the cable that has the red, yellow and white ends for the TV (like a playstation uses?). Where would that plug into on the Atari side though? I think all of the composite ones I have got have a scart connection on the other end.

Thanks,

Danielle

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your help and for sending through the link, that's really helpful - I can see the cable you mean now.

I've found a cable on eBay UK which is the same as that one, and have ordered it today. Fingers crossed - I'll wait for it to arrive and give it a go.

I'll let you know how it goes :-)

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Danielle

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

OK, so an update on this thread.....I bought the cable (thanks UKRetroGamer but I had already purchased my composite!) - and I've now had a chance to test this out.

So, it's better than before, in that I can connect the Atari and I can see an image clearly, I can hear sound etc - however, the picture is flicking vertically - kind of scrolling repeatedly up and down the screen. It doesn't flicker 'sidways' across the screen, and the colours are all perfect, just this strange up and down movement. It reminds me a little bit of the frame rate thing you can when trying to look at a TV through a video camera.

The weird thing is that I put a game in, and the "Please wait while loading......" is fine and doesn't move at all, but then when the actual game screen loads it starts flickering.

Any ideas what's causing this and how I can fix it?

So close but still so far!!!

Cheers,

Danielle

Might be changing to a different res/freq when it goes from the loading screen to the

actual game screen.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help with the problem but it might be a possible eplanation

as to what's happening.

Some of the more informed techie people on here can hopefully help you more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that link Fletch, I ordered a cable for my Atari 800xl because i'm trying to hook it up to a Westinghouse 40" flat screen TV and it looks like the cable will turn the TV into a monitor if I'm not mistaken. . . . . . .

Ok I got the cable and a big thanks to UKRetroGamer but they sent me the wrong cable so I sent them an email and they answered it within minutes and they said they did indeed send me the wrong cable so they said they will send the right one to me no charge so they are a fabulous company, I will update as soon as the new cable comes in the mail.

I just wish that Cable and Phone companies had the awesome customers service that UKRetroGamer has and wouldn't life b easier if they did. . . . . . .

• 3 years later...

I can confirm that the citizen 32CL710A LCD flat screen monitor works perfect with the AV cables that are sold, in fact I have an extra 2 of them... I can also confirm that I can to get a VGA cable to work properly with a 17 inch computer monitor but not on the LCD ... Russ

• 2 months later...

I can also confirm that I can to get a VGA cable to work properly with a 17 inch computer monitor

(Sorry that this is off-topic.) What 17" monitor are you using that works with your ST with a VGA cable? Most by far don't work (can't sync down to ~15KHz), so I'm curious if yours is one that is already known to work or a new find.

I had CRT monitor, with VGA conn. of course, what could work at 50 or 60 Hz, or ~15 KHz hor. freq. . But it was long time ago. I sold it around 2005 . Don't even remember brand - was not NEC, that's what I can say. Here, we can buy now new 21.5 inch Philips LED/LCD, with Scart and other inputs for some 110-130 Euros. That's really not much, and what a miracle, can watch even digital TV on it :-D

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone! I recently received an Atari 1040 STE. I didn't receive a din cable for it, I was planning on using on more of a modern monitor/tv. I looked for adaptor but nothing seems to work for me. The VGA adapter only outputs monochrome and the rca cable only works for the atm model! What can I do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Console gamer said:

Hey everyone! I recently received an Atari 1040 STE. I didn't receive a din cable for it, I was planning on using on more of a modern monitor/tv. I looked for adaptor but nothing seems to work for me. The VGA adapter only outputs monochrome and the rca cable only works for the atm model! What can I do?

Scart 2 hdmi

On 6/18/2019 at 4:48 AM, Console gamer said:

It depends mostly on what TV you have, or will have. If it has Scart input, it will be able to work with your Atari in good quality - RGB, and need only proper cable. Of course in color modes.

So, most important q. : TV model, connectors on it ?