IGNORED

No love for the Magnavox Odyssey 2

SSG

HUGE O2 fan. It was my first complete set of CIB US games in my collection. I have about 7 boxed systems, as well as many of the homebrews that I remember to pick up. The system is very reasonable to still purchase, as well as many of the games. In a hobby that is ever increasing in price, it is nice to see that this system is not only durable but can still be found not breaking the bank. The game library is small, but has some excellent titles. UFO, Freedom Fighters, K.C. Munchkin are classics and still hold up today. My all time favorite was Smithereens with the Voice. An excellent two player game. The homebrew scene is alive and well with games coming out more and more(Death Race and Happy Bird). The Odyssey 2 has love, but takes a back seat to some other gaming systems. Below is must to listen, episode 42, about Ed Averett, programmer of 25+ Odyssey 2 games. Fantastic

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-42-ed-averett-qa-at-cge-2k14/

Also just want to say a huge thank you to sites such as 2600 connection for offering wonderful homebrews for the 02.

Edited by swlovinist

Yes, Rene is making flashcarts for the system. He also made a menu driven multicart. Really love that cart.

There is an other guy that showed a flash cart with voice built in. Hope he gets it ready for production love to own one.

Also check out the games released by revival studios,he can really pull of some great stuff on the system, no one would think was possible.

Where can I see that other flashcart with the voice built in? I could not find that in Google.

• Like 1

HUGE O2 fan. It was my first complete set of CIB US games in my collection. I have about 7 boxed systems, as well as many of the homebrews that I remember to pick up. The system is very reasonable to still purchase, as well as many of the games. In a hobby that is ever increasing in price, it is nice to see that this system is not only durable but can still be found not breaking the bank. The game library is small, but has some excellent titles. UFO, Freedom Fighters, K.C. Munchkin are classics and still hold up today. My all time favorite was Smithereens with the Voice. An excellent two player game. The homebrew scene is alive and well with games coming out more and more(Death Race and Happy Bird). The Odyssey 2 has love, but takes a back seat to some other gaming systems. Below is must to listen, episode 42, about Ed Averett, programmer of 25+ Odyssey 2 games. Fantastic

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-42-ed-averett-qa-at-cge-2k14/

Also just want to say a huge thank you to sites such as 2600 connection for offering wonderful homebrews for the 02.

Great Q&A with Ed Averett. He mentioned something about a brand new KC game for the PC. Is there anything more about this?

My O2 is one of those things I would not buy again, as it pretty much just sits there, with it's three little games, gathering dust. It's kind of sad really. Now, I've just been informed of a place about 30 miles south of where I live that carries O2 stuff, so in the next few day's I'll check it out. If the they have anything reasonable, I just might bite.

I've avoided eBait for O2 stuff as the shipping makes the reasonably priced cartridges not worth the expense for a simple game that may be played for just a few minutes. Heck, I might even get rid of my O2 if I cannot find a game that 'grabs me', but then again, who would want it?

Try searching for "Odyssey2 bundle" or "Odyssey2 lot" on ebay. I've bought a couple of bundles with several carts included for reasonable prices.

Sure you get a few clunkers, but it's a good way to get carts cheap.

If you don't have them yet, I strongly recommend UFO and the two KCMunchkin games - if you don't get anything else, get those three carts!

Edited by ls650

Very nice collection Darrin9999! I'm just a few games shy of a complete boxed US collection myself.

I love the O2. It was the first game console we had, even before Atari. And I remember when I was about 7 making a "game catalog", modeled after the O2 catalog, for an imaginary console I called the Game Room. I still love the box art and fonts, and imo most of the games are still a blast to play today. Sadly, like probably a lot of us, I don't give it as much time as I should though.

• Like 1

I bet the O² design sparkled the imagination alot.

I like it alot.

The best of both worls would have been to get the European covers with the US cart label design. Gosh!

I wonder what "VIDEOPAC" woud look like in O² style :P

Edited by CatPix

There is love for it, definitely! Just no Odyssey-section, like the other consoles have :P.

That's why I'll start a new topic about some work on the Odyssey, I've just been through.

Btw.

The PHILIPS G7000, as we knew it in our part of the world, was my first system, apart from two tv-pong-games.

It was one of three major systems, we could find in the shops, well, indeed in my hometown, it was only a single shop.

1. The ATARI VCS: Market leader

2. The G7000: Not very common, I did not know a second person,who had one. But it was affordable and so computeristic!

3. The Mattel Intellivision: Fancy, but unaffordable. I knew nobody, who had one. 400 DM for the console and about 120 DM for a single cartridge. No way!

I had 10 cartridges, which was a lot. I think, they were sold at 62.50 DM each, if I remember correctly. The console was something like 320 DM (?) back in 1982.

Compared to my pocket money, being about 20 DM a month, you can see the relation. A 10-gear-sports-bicycle was about 350 DM those days.

I learnt about the concept of programming vs. hardwired electronics with cartridge #9 "Computer Programmer". The first time, I read about ROM, RAM and ALE (=CPU).

So to me, it really was computeristic! I spent hours and hours developing small programs.

OK, we all know, the games on the VCS were much more and many of them better, too. I did not admit it, but we had nothing like Defender (yeah, I had Freedom Fighters) or Berserk. But our Packman was simply nicer. I still love that one. Or the somewhat crazy Volleyball - a lot of fun.

The Odyssey really is something special to me. :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Thanks, yes I know this forum. I'm visiting it on a more or less regular basis. I think it's the best for the Odyssey at the moment. But still there should be a few Odysee-entries here at AtariAge, too. Just to hold up the flag high :).

I've owned an O2 a couple of times over the years in my collection but it just never really held my attention beyond a small handful of games like Freedom Fighters and UFO. Just didn't play it enough to justify keeping it round. I did find a boxed one back in 2009 with a whole bunch of boxed and loose games for $20. Worked great and part of me wishes I still had it but I have this "price to desire" ratio that I use when contemplating a retro gaming purchase and the O2 just doesn't fit into that ratio right now. If I find a nice cheap one in the wild then fine but currently the only local one is at the local game store and they want $89 for a loose system. That's about $40 to $50 too high for me.

I hope you played it with the Voice!

"TURKEY!" "INCREDIBLE" "OH NO!"

That vocal chip is amazing, it put the Intellivision one to shame.

Well, indeed, both are using the same circuitry: a General Instruments Sp-0256 speech synthesizer chip, just with different onboard rom-data. Obviously that was THE speech synthesizer chip of the day.

What I like with the Intellivoice is, that they are using different voices. But those are kind of recorded, where as "The Voice" is able to really synthesize words or play recordings.

Found this on YT while searching for a similar TV with built in video game system that I remember a friend having.

That TV however had a cartridge slot on the lower right. Never played on it though.

The remote control was when not in use put in the same cartridge slot (i guess for automatic recharge)

It was definately a 70´s or early 80´s TV. Woodgrain and all.

It is not one of these

Anyone by any chance know what TV that could be? Another Magnavox model?

Perhaps this has been posted before but anyways, here is the Magnavox TV Model 4305 with built-in Odyssey. Just too cool... 8)

Edited by NumbThumb

Found this on YT while searching for a similar TV with built in video game system that I remember a friend having.

That TV however had a cartridge slot on the lower right. Never played on it though.

The remote control was when not in use put in the same cartridge slot (i guess for automatic recharge)

It was definately a 70´s or early 80´s TV. Woodgrain and all.

It is not one of these

Anyone by any chance know what TV that could be? Another Magnavox model?

Perhaps this has been posted before but anyways, here is the Magnavox TV Model 4305 with built-in Odyssey. Just too cool... 8)

Have a look here for built in pong systems.

http://www.pong-picture-page.de/catalog/index.php?cPath=54_53_64&osCsid=54a1c78d4

I just received in the mail this weekend some very nice O2 items that I believe to be fairly tough to come by. I'll snap some photos tomorrow and post them to get some O2 enthusiasts opinions. From the searches I have done, I don't see many of these around. Still, I could be wrong and maybe they are more common than I think. We'll see. I'll get them out here tomorrow.

• Like 1

I picked this up mainly for the odyssey adventure mags I needed. I didn't realize some of the other items included. I love the two fold out ads for the system and voice. The un punched membership card and certificates appears to be a tough find. I even got the envelope it was originally mailed in. All in all I'm pretty happy with the pick up. O2 folks, are any of these tougher finds?

post-14461-0-79444800-1421682985_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-91420100-1421683009_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-96967600-1421683030_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-44089700-1421683052_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-75405800-1421683074_thumb.jpg

post-14461-0-13349700-1421683111_thumb.jpg

• Like 2