IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

I know there is no Mortal Kombat game on the Lynx, but I think it'd be a cool homebrew game. I know there is only two buttons (although, i'm sure Option buttons could be used i'm sure as extra buttons...). If the Game Boy and Game Gear could have Mortal Kombat, you know the Lynx could as well. Even if its just Mortal Kombat 1 or MK 2, it'd still be kind of cool to see on the Lynx. Especially since the Lynx can do voice in games really well.

Sadly, no. I did the Johnny Cage Sprite in idle stance and think it looks quite nice, but LordKraken did not do a demo after all. It would not have been a full game anyway, but at least a proof of concept.

Well if you read the thread again, I'm not the one who wrote that MK could be done in no time ;)

A proof of concept is not much work if you have the assets though.

That would be a cool hobby project, definitely, but Karate WT is already coming!

Edited by LordKraken

• 4 months later...

I know there is no Mortal Kombat game on the Lynx, but I think it'd be a cool homebrew game. I know there is only two buttons (although, i'm sure Option buttons could be used i'm sure as extra buttons...). If the Game Boy and Game Gear could have Mortal Kombat, you know the Lynx could as well. Even if its just Mortal Kombat 1 or MK 2, it'd still be kind of cool to see on the Lynx. Especially since the Lynx can do voice in games really well.

yeah that would be the killer app for it,mk 1 & 2 on the lynx,if they only correctly downscale the graphics without zoomind and/or unfair detail lose,would be great,also they should do color blur dithering,tamperal color or color blending to keep preserving most colors of the game,put voice samples and digital instruments into it,aswell as 1 and 2 player option,would be great.

• 4 years later...
On 5/4/2015 at 3:43 AM, johannesmutlu said:

yeah that would be the killer app for it,mk 1 & 2 on the lynx,if they only correctly downscale the graphics without zoomind and/or unfair detail lose,would be great,also they should do color blur dithering,tamperal color or color blending to keep preserving most colors of the game,put voice samples and digital instruments into it,aswell as 1 and 2 player option,would be great.

I dont want to make new topic, so will reply here. We did Mortal Kombat for the Lynx (Silly Venture 2019 event) and tryed to have it all: all framesanimations (from arcade), decent colors, voice samples, digital FX, music, parallaxes, shadows.  I hope the result will make happy Lynx's fighting games fans.

We have to fix few bugs, add the blood (to have all arcade stuff) and add comlink support (the engine already can play 2 player mode but we dont have comlynx support prroggrammed yet and  sadly  two Lynxes in real  to test it.

Will post video tomorrow and the  .rom will be available december 24th (in two weeks)

xZjRCZN.png

C098AJG.png

T6E1Lzc.png

owXY1YV.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Just out of curiosity (since this is the thing that definitely stopped me to even consider doing it), how did you convert the art assets from the arcade game?

I imagine the work on the palettes must have been really tedious...

Hey. I will post more details how the flow looked - need to rest after long trip back (600KM) and intense 3 days at the SV2019 party;). @laoo from our group has written a very strong system for producing games/demos for Atari Lynx (for now pod asm). Its all-in-one pure awesomeness - but still in alpha/beta stadium. We will publish it in near future with documentation and examples how to use it. It helps to manage that kind of assets problems (I still had to do some manual work but our autopalette system helped A LOT here).

I read some time ago old topics about MK for the Lynx when you and @108 Stars were doing pretty awesome prototyping (also the other fighting game prototype) but we all know how time / productions sometime goes;). It was one of inspiration.

Edited by solo/ng

Just now, solo/ng said:

special moves going to be there.

we cut some content to have the mortal kombat theme and a bit higher quality samples - just for the party presentation.

I need to cleanup datas to see how much we can fit for final rom (we wants fatalities too  hope it will fit).

I tried to pull off Scorpions "Come over here!" ;-) never gets old :D