IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Lost Dragon said:

Whilst talking about Lynx Rolling Thunder in Frank Gasking's GTW book, Chuck Ernst reveals he approached Atari with idea they see Mortal Kombat converted to the Lynx. 

Atari Management rejected the idea, saying they already had Pitfighter and that was similar enough. 

Interesting, I never heard anything about the possibility of Mortal Kombat coming to the Lynx "back in the day".

I was surprised to learn a few years ago that NEC/Turbo Technologies in the US did try to negotiate the rights to Mortal Kombat for TurboGrafx-16, but NEC's Japanese management rejected it. It's mentioned on page 5 of this article:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php

On 9/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, agradeneu said:

The thing is, MK should have been impossible to port to the Lynx, due to lack of RAM, only 16 colors, low res, only 4 sound channels, 2 buttons. But the demo is as faithfully translated as it could get.

There was a reasonably good version of Mortal Kombat for Game Gear. It lost a fair amount of weight in the process (removed one character and a lot of the stages, and also simplified the controls), but preserved enough of the game that it was still recognizable as MK. Compared to Lynx, Game Gear has somewhat higher vertical resolution and twice the onscreen colors, but also much worse sound and sprite handling capabilities. Even back then, there was no doubt in my mind that the Lynx would've been able to offer a more faithful version of Mortal Kombat. The homebrew demo has proven that in very convincing fashion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Agent X said:

Interesting, I never heard anything about the possibility of Mortal Kombat coming to the Lynx "back in the day".

I was surprised to learn a few years ago that NEC/Turbo Technologies in the US did try to negotiate the rights to Mortal Kombat for TurboGrafx-16, but NEC's Japanese management rejected it. It's mentioned on page 5 of this article:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/225466/stalled_engine_the_turbografx16_.php

There was a reasonably good version of Mortal Kombat for Game Gear. It lost a fair amount of weight in the process (removed one character and a lot of the stages, and also simplified the controls), but preserved enough of the game that it was still recognizable as MK. Compared to Lynx, Game Gear has somewhat higher vertical resolution and twice the onscreen colors, but also much worse sound and sprite handling capabilities. Even back then, there was no doubt in my mind that the Lynx would've been able to offer a more faithful version of Mortal Kombat. The homebrew demo has proven that in very convincing fashion.

The Game Gear version is quite messy. I think even the Game boy has one (and it's awful)?!! Back in the days they ported successful arcade games to nearly any system under the sun, no matter how terrible the ports were, they tried to cash in on the popularity of the arcade game.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Agent X said:

Compared to Lynx, Game Gear has somewhat higher vertical resolution and twice the onscreen colors, but also much worse sound and sprite handling capabilities. Even back then, there was no doubt in my mind that the Lynx would've been able to offer a more faithful version of Mortal Kombat. The homebrew demo has proven that in very convincing fashion.

The Lynx has been shown in recent years to be capable of far more than 16 colors onscreen at a time.  Dunno if you've seen that tech demo with the Megan Fox photo on the Lynx, but it's gorgeous...and not just because it's Megan Fox.

I know it's not fair to compare work done on the Lynx 30 years after its life to work done on the Game Gear in its heyday, but has the Game Gear ever been shown to do more than 32 colors onscreen?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MTR said:

Well.. we all are waiting on that Megan Fox demo file now.. ? 

This one.  I would love to credit whichever technical wizard did this, but I don't know who it is.  There are a few more "hi-res" Lynx image programs too.  I'm sure I got all the files from somewhere on AtariAge.

20201013_085740.jpg

• Like 2

Here are some more, for anybody curious.  There is a fifth one, but the screen scrolls up and down to display the full image, so I can't show the whole thing in a still photo. 

MTR, can you say where you found the Megan Fox file?  I really hate to not have the creator of these acknowledged, but I can't seem to find anything here.

20201013_103117.jpg

20201013_103057.jpg

20201013_103039.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

Here are some more, for anybody curious.  There is a fifth one, but the screen scrolls up and down to display the full image, so I can't show the whole thing in a still photo. 

MTR, can you say where you found the Megan Fox file?  I really hate to not have the creator of these acknowledged, but I can't seem to find anything here.

20201013_103117.jpg

20201013_103057.jpg

20201013_103039.jpg

Question is: Can you do animation/games with more than 16 colors?

14 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

The Lynx has been shown in recent years to be capable of far more than 16 colors onscreen at a time.  Dunno if you've seen that tech demo with the Megan Fox photo on the Lynx, but it's gorgeous...and not just because it's Megan Fox.

I know it's not fair to compare work done on the Lynx 30 years after its life to work done on the Game Gear in its heyday, but has the Game Gear ever been shown to do more than 32 colors onscreen?

I think the Lynx screen is more pleasant than the GG: technically it has lower res and less colors, but in practice the image looks cleaner and has a better screen ratio. However, 32 colors instead of 16 is much nicer for artists! ;-) 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

20201013_103117.jpg

20201013_103057.jpg

20201013_103039.jpg

PFG 9000,  I found it here, on AA. Legendary member/programmer "enthusi" made this stuff.   :)

39 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Question is: Can you do animation/games with more than 16 colors?

Apart Duranik with Alpine Games and Bonus cartridge, I wonder if someone used more than 16 colors while ingame ?

http://duranik.com/lynx.html

• Lynx HighColor pictures
  • games use more than 16 simultaneous colors

For me, Alpine Games is a masterpiece, the best game in Lynx library (commercial era and homebrews)

(but maybe I'm biased, Winter Games was my first game on my first computer :D )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

20201013_103117.jpg

20201013_103057.jpg

20201013_103039.jpg

Time to Install Windows 1.0 onto the Lynx so I can have an excuse to have a portable desktop background.

Actually now that I think about it Windows 1.0 is pretty old maybe you could get the Lynx to run it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

Apart Duranik with Alpine Games and Bonus cartridge, I wonder if someone used more than 16 colors while ingame ?

http://duranik.com/lynx.html

For me, Alpine Games is a masterpiece, the best game in Lynx library (commercial era and homebrews)

(but maybe I'm biased, Winter Games was my first game on my first computer :D )

indeed.

a few games use rasters, if that counts.

51 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

Time to Install Windows 1.0 onto the Lynx so I can have an excuse to have a portable desktop background.

Actually now that I think about it Windows 1.0 is pretty old maybe you could get the Lynx to run it?

Man, you're a genius! That would be groundbreaking! :D and I bet Lynx would run it like a piece of cake :D 

Now we got to find someone who's up for realizing this idea :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTR said:

Man, you're a genius! That would be groundbreaking! :D and I bet Lynx would run it like a piece of cake :D 

Now we got to find someone who's up for realizing this idea :D

According to Microsoft, Windows 1.0 required a minimum of 256 kilobytes, two double-sided floppy disk drives, and a graphics adapter card. A hard disk and 512 KB memory were recommended for running multiple programs or when using DOS 3.0 or higher. Machines most likely had 8086 CPU running at 8 MHz.

Yeah - perfectly doable on the little 6502!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, PFG 9000 said:

I wasn't previously familiar with those graphical demos until now, so thanks for posting them!

Even if this technique could not be applied easily (or at all) during the gameplay in a fast-action game, it could still be very useful for a title screen or a cinematic sequence.

11 hours ago, Fadest said:

I recall reading that RoadBlasters and Awesome Golf exceeded the normal 16-color "limit".

This technique is not specific to the Lynx and is probably the most famous demomaker technique since overcoming colour limitations on 8bit hardware back in the days was considered the most important thing in life apparently ? (note that it is not limited to 8bits machine; any hardware with less colours than pixels on screen could benefit from it even though it's definitely less relevant on a snes and its 256 colours for instance).

It relies on changing the palette after each scan line, i.e. once a line has been drawn you quickly change the palette. Simple as that.

It has several limitations.

1) your image or whatever you draw on screen needs to be prepared with this limitation in mind, i.e you can display many more colors but still only 16 different per line. Making this method almost impossible to use for anything more dynamic than a static picture... (it's not impossible but...)

2) the switching palette code needs to be super fast since it runs multiple times during each screen refresh. Still it will have an impact on your game performance. People with advanced "demomaker skills" like Sage or Enthusi might develop on that, but I don't see how this technique could be used in a real time game. Maybe for a more static one like chess?

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2