IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

..and the Lord has spoketh' :D

Yeah, the limitations are there, but it would be great addition to a slower paced games for example a moving colorful background or static background. There are a lot of static games like chess, which could use backgrounds, maybe even changeable one's by the press of an option button. Some cool photos of girls and stuff in background should liven up the game play and make the game more interesting and popular. For example, some QIX clone like game could sure use some "more interesting" pictures for people to uncover during the game :) If you know what I mean.. :D

Sometimes it takes something subtle to make all the difference in a game..

Just a thought for homebrew developers/artists

18 minutes ago, MTR said:

..and the Lord has spoketh' :D

Yeah, the limitations are there, but it would be great addition to a slower paced games for example a moving colorful background or static background. There are a lot of static games like chess, which could use backgrounds, maybe even changeable one's by the press of an option button. Some cool photos of girls and stuff in background should liven up the game play and make the game more interesting and popular. For example, some QIX clone like game could sure use some "more interesting" pictures for people to uncover during the game :) If you know what I mean.. :D

Sometimes it takes something subtle to make all the difference in a game..

Just a thought for homebrew developers/artists

16 colors is fine, you can make very interesting things with it  ;-)

So, technically it is possible to display more colors, but that alone is not enough to make good and interesting graphics.

Animation is very important, and honestly video games are not so much about static images.

BTW Lynx Mortal Kombat displays more than 16 colors, so it looks to be useable for animated graphics. ( Same with Alpine Games)

Edited by agradeneu

16 hours ago, Fadest said:

Apart Duranik with Alpine Games and Bonus cartridge, I wonder if someone used more than 16 colors while ingame ?

http://duranik.com/lynx.html

For me, Alpine Games is a masterpiece, the best game in Lynx library (commercial era and homebrews)

(but maybe I'm biased, Winter Games was my first game on my first computer :D )

Graphics yes, but the mini games could not keep my interest for very long honestly. 

In  terms of gameplay, replaybility and technical achievement, both Zaku and Wyvern Tales are at the top of homebrews IMO.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:29 AM, Agent X said:

I wasn't previously familiar with those graphical demos until now, so thanks for posting them!

Even if this technique could not be applied easily (or at all) during the gameplay in a fast-action game, it could still be very useful for a title screen or a cinematic sequence.

I recall reading that RoadBlasters and Awesome Golf exceeded the normal 16-color "limit".

Awesome Golf does on the title screen, not so sure on the actual in-game. 

That's been my understanding. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, LordKraken said:

ultiple times during each screen refresh. Still it will have an impact on your game performance. People with advanced "demomaker skills" like Sage or Enthusi might develop on that, but I don't see how this technique could be used in a real time game. Maybe for a more static one like chess?

as mentioned, the PATW sokoban clone and some arkanoid/breakout demo clone ...

• 5 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:28 PM, Lost Dragon said:

Whilst talking about Lynx Rolling Thunder in Frank Gasking's GTW book, Chuck Ernst reveals he approached Atari with idea they see Mortal Kombat converted to the Lynx. 

Atari Management rejected the idea, saying they already had Pitfighter and that was similar enough. 

Can you take a picture of this part of Chuck Ernst about MK conversion for the Lynx from the book.
I'm writing a review for this Silly Venture contest version. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Is it a custom version of Handy?

Yeah, I've done some tracing enhancements. But it's integrated with MADS assembler, hence it's not usable with cc65 or lyxass. Generally one can enable/disable in source code (with metacommands) dumping some memory locations to title bar and traceing fragments of code to a file.

Edited by laoo

Yeah I was actually going to ask about the values in the title bar, I suspected some sort of tracking :)

I did a simple console for my games to get something similar, but guess what, it takes some RAM and by the end of the actual development, when I actually need it the most, I have to get rid of it to get some RAM back ^^

• Like 1

Best thing about my approach is that it runs virtually in the emulator. I have a map of attributes for each memory location and when CPU is executing given address I just do what's defined in the attribute. It might be printing some memory value on given position of title bar (as seen on the clip) or turning on/off tracing etc. The attribute map is populated by analyzing assembler output listing and searching for specific comments. Elementary approach but it does to job :)

Edited by laoo
  • Like 3