IGNORED

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

DvdXploitr

On 4/16/2021 at 5:13 AM, life-among-bits said:

Are you trying to kill me??? xDDD

How you guys gonna fit all this on a cart? I ask because the ROM size. The Lynx have a max limit? Like FAT32 limit of 4GB per file. (I'm a coding noob, sorry if I exemplified in a way too silly)

In general: 512KB limit. Lynx can support more (example 1MB) but its complicated and there is ~no support to run in on real machine (unless with specially modded stuff).

Wont be easy to fit all but most should be there. The game proably going to be in two version: MK 512KB ("normal one" for all) and MK 1MB (for future; ). The main game is MK 512KB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, solo/ng said:

In general: 512KB limit. Lynx can support more (example 1MB) but its complicated and there is ~no support to run in on real machine (unless with specially modded stuff).

Wont be easy to fit all but most should be there. The game proably going to be in two version: MK 512KB ("normal one" for all) and MK 1MB (for future; ). The main game is MK 512KB.

I happen to have a working prototype of a 2MB cart. There is 4 x 512KB plus eeprom and two small chips.

It can be programmed by the normal programmers HAT board.

Currently I have boards and chips for a handful of these boards.

Basically it uses both strobes CART 0 and CART 1 plus the AUDIN pin.

ROM 0 (AUDIN = 0, CART0)
ROM 1 (AUDIN = 0, CART1)
ROM 2 (AUDIN = 1, CART0)
ROM 3 (AUDIN = 1, CART1)

For programming the chip I use the SW VCC pin as the *WR strobe.

So would 2MB be enough for MK?

PS. The only limitation is that you need to put the 52 byte bootloader at the start of ROM 0 and also at the start of ROM 2. The reason is that Lynx I and Lynx II start with AUDIN in different state.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As I understand it at the moment there is only one limited version that allows you to play with a single character who is Scorpion even trying to choose another and the fights are limited to 3 opponents including his own character (Scorpion). Is that it or is there already a version available with more option ? In any case the limited version is already very well done. I can't wait to play with a more advanced version. 

Edited by RadiATIon

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:43 AM, solo/ng said:

Im actually trying to do some workaround to have Kano. Nothing decided yet tho.

I'm honestly surprised you got as many characters there as you did. I could almost see it being justifiable to take this opportunity to remove one of the other asset heavy characters and replace them with a selectable/unlocked Reptile since you can save space with another palette swapped ninja. Would save space AND give the Lynx port something very unique! :D

Edited by 3Y3
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, solo/ng said:

Consider using a decent packer.

Because I seriously think this is an excellent idea to save space I just had to do this (sorry Raiden fans, I just figured he had the most unique assets and special moves that would take up space)

Be honest, you all know you would be happy with this amount of Ninja in our Lynx. :D

mk-lynx-reptile.jpg.1adb6729e709603c30d5350141272587.jpg

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, karri said:

I happen to have a working prototype of a 2MB cart. There is 4 x 512KB plus eeprom and two small chips.

It can be programmed by the normal programmers HAT board.

Currently I have boards and chips for a handful of these boards.

Basically it uses both strobes CART 0 and CART 1 plus the AUDIN pin.

ROM 0 (AUDIN = 0, CART0)
ROM 1 (AUDIN = 0, CART1)
ROM 2 (AUDIN = 1, CART0)
ROM 3 (AUDIN = 1, CART1)

For programming the chip I use the SW VCC pin as the *WR strobe.

So would 2MB be enough for MK?

PS. The only limitation is that you need to put the 52 byte bootloader at the start of ROM 0 and also at the start of ROM 2. The reason is that Lynx I and Lynx II start with AUDIN in different state.

For it to use something like this you'd have to sell it to pay for these boards. I don't know if anyone would be able to get away with doing that. But the idea is intriguing.

How about the Lynx GD that I know squat about? Would it be able to support bigger rom sizes or bank switch or something?

On 7/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, 3Y3 said:

Because I seriously think this is an excellent idea to save space I just had to do this (sorry Raiden fans, I just figured he had the most unique assets and special moves that would take up space)

Be honest, you all know you would be happy with this amount of Ninja in our Lynx. :D

mk-lynx-reptile.jpg.1adb6729e709603c30d5350141272587.jpg

I would have traded Sonya for Raiden....he works in the 2600 version lol

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:44 AM, JagChris said:

How about the Lynx GD that I know squat about? Would it be able to support bigger rom sizes or bank switch or something?

I must say, that doing full version of MK exclusively on Lynx GD is very compelling.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...