DvdXploitr

Mortal Kombat for Lynx...

..and the Lord has spoketh' :D

Yeah, the limitations are there, but it would be great addition to a slower paced games for example a moving colorful background or static background. There are a lot of static games like chess, which could use backgrounds, maybe even changeable one's by the press of an option button. Some cool photos of girls and stuff in background should liven up the game play and make the game more interesting and popular. For example, some QIX clone like game could sure use some "more interesting" pictures for people to uncover during the game :) If you know what I mean.. :D

Sometimes it takes something subtle to make all the difference in a game..

Just a thought for homebrew developers/artists

18 minutes ago, MTR said:

..and the Lord has spoketh' :D

Yeah, the limitations are there, but it would be great addition to a slower paced games for example a moving colorful background or static background. There are a lot of static games like chess, which could use backgrounds, maybe even changeable one's by the press of an option button. Some cool photos of girls and stuff in background should liven up the game play and make the game more interesting and popular. For example, some QIX clone like game could sure use some "more interesting" pictures for people to uncover during the game :) If you know what I mean.. :D

Sometimes it takes something subtle to make all the difference in a game..

Just a thought for homebrew developers/artists

16 colors is fine, you can make very interesting things with it  ;-)

So, technically it is possible to display more colors, but that alone is not enough to make good and interesting graphics.

Animation is very important, and honestly video games are not so much about static images.

BTW Lynx Mortal Kombat displays more than 16 colors, so it looks to be useable for animated graphics. ( Same with Alpine Games)

Edited by agradeneu

16 hours ago, Fadest said:

Apart Duranik with Alpine Games and Bonus cartridge, I wonder if someone used more than 16 colors while ingame ?

http://duranik.com/lynx.html

For me, Alpine Games is a masterpiece, the best game in Lynx library (commercial era and homebrews)

(but maybe I'm biased, Winter Games was my first game on my first computer :D )

Graphics yes, but the mini games could not keep my interest for very long honestly. 

In  terms of gameplay, replaybility and technical achievement, both Zaku and Wyvern Tales are at the top of homebrews IMO.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:29 AM, Agent X said:

I wasn't previously familiar with those graphical demos until now, so thanks for posting them!

Even if this technique could not be applied easily (or at all) during the gameplay in a fast-action game, it could still be very useful for a title screen or a cinematic sequence.

I recall reading that RoadBlasters and Awesome Golf exceeded the normal 16-color "limit".

Awesome Golf does on the title screen, not so sure on the actual in-game. 

That's been my understanding. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:52 AM, LordKraken said:

ultiple times during each screen refresh. Still it will have an impact on your game performance. People with advanced "demomaker skills" like Sage or Enthusi might develop on that, but I don't see how this technique could be used in a real time game. Maybe for a more static one like chess?

as mentioned, the PATW sokoban clone and some arkanoid/breakout demo clone ...

15 hours ago, sage said:

as mentioned, the PATW sokoban clone and some arkanoid/breakout demo clone ...

Ok so as suspected, only for games where large portion of the screen is static then?

in a way, yes. only for games where you can have a 75HZ refresh from the game engine and/or have enough memory for buffers.

I can show them only with a 50Hz refresh. At 60Hz there are some errors in the image.