IGNORED

Micromiser software anywhere? Turboword, Turbobase, Turboword-80

gozar

• 2 years later...

The fact that it was released to the public domain makes the need to pay for registration a violation of pd release, but almost all pd releases allow for a stipend when real disks labels and labors are involved... as it is all public domain anybody can share it or post such things at will and with so many people who owned and used all of the Micromiser stuff you'd think we'd have tons of copies floating around all over the place. maybe it's time to look through the old piles of disks and dust of some copies..

• 4 years later...
On 4/28/2017 at 6:35 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

The fact that it was released to the public domain makes the need to pay for registration a violation of pd release, but almost all pd releases allow for a stipend when real disks labels and labors are involved... as it is all public domain anybody can share it or post such things at will and with so many people who owned and used all of the Micromiser stuff you'd think we'd have tons of copies floating around all over the place. maybe it's time to look through the old piles of disks and dust of some copies..

Well, in Germany it is a little bit more complicated...

There exists a law that every downloadable program must have been tested by an official organization (FSK / USK) to protect children against things that are not suitable for their age. Thus every DVD/Blue-Ray and also all Computer/Console/Videogame programs must have a sticker on them which says suitable for 0, 6, 12, 16 or 18 years. Of course no A8 program has such a sticker or approval (but there does not exist an exception of the law, that these computers are so old and do not need it) and one has to pay a minimum of 500 Euro for a single program to get such an official approval. So, a PD diskette with 10 programs on it would cost already 5000 Euro for official approval. And the Abbuc PD library is nearing one thousand PD disks already (with more than thousand programs on them) - who wants to pay the minimum of 500,000 Euro or more to get the approval for them? See also Wikipedia here and here.

And that is why you have to be a member of Abbuc, not only to download the magazine, but also to download the PD stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hmmm, It was my understanding that the old stuff was grandfathered in such instances... you couldn't apply the new law to old stuff. It's impractical to hunt everyone/all entities down and many of the original folks are deceased... though e-mailing of data and out of country proxies work fine and the data wouldn't be in the country at all if that method was in use. Also consider compilations, each and every program? one game can have many programs. I'd think there's more to dissect, otherwise it sounds like no game or other multi part software could exist in todays world... so many programs and parts to a game of today in general

not sure wikipedia is a great way to go, I am certain an official site from the government itself has the actual law and subsection... time to scroll to the bottom of wikipedia and see if the links are there I guess...

Edited by _The Doctor__

July 1st 2002 a public notice that all micromiser Atari 8 bit stuff was released to the public domain, and the ST Ultrabase etc was also noted as such within the month. It can be freely copied and distributed by just about anyone... this was also mentioned online at various times and places with some other issues thrown in during multiple conversations...

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.atari.8bit/c/eHevLEFgcTg/m/F_R4KsJ1io0J

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, mytek said:

BUMP

Since this has been shown to have been released into the Public Domain, why doesn't someone simply download it from ABBUC and then upload it here?

Because the ABBUC webserver is still down for reconstruction. ;)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Because the ABBUC webserver is still down for reconstruction. ;)

That makes sense :)

Although I'm surprised no one else has these XEP-80 compatible programs in their possession, or that ATRs haven't been uploaded somewhere in the last 20 years.

Here's the pertinent part of the Public Domain release announcement by Steve Thornton on July 1st 2002...

I would also like to thank every 8-bit Atari user everywhere for using
our products, and for so long! It is a great feeling! Believe me when
I say I had no idea whatever that so many people still had an interest
in our products as late as 1994. I would have taken a lot better care
of those disks. But I had no such feedback, and was not reading
newsgroups at the time.

Also, if there is any Atari user anywhere still using one of our Atari
products, copy them freely and do whatever you like with them! They
make great frisbees too! I would have said this in 1994 as well if I
had known about the persistent interest. Though I still would have
charged for support time if that was required.

Thanks for reading my piece. Ben, if you're out there, I sincerely
apologize for anything I said that offended you. Believe me it was not
my intention. I would like to make up with you if that is possible.

Steve Thornton, Pres.
Micromiser Software

Google Groups Message Link

Not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that anyone can copy and/or upload this software for public release anywhere they feel like it.

Since there was so little quality software written to take advantage of the XEP80, it would be nice to see this out there once again. Pretty soon I'll be putting up a page on my website discussing the XEP80-II (a new version of the XEP80 hardware), and it would be great to be able to provide this as well as the AtariWriter 80 for download from an easily found and FREE location.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

here is Turboword-80, hopefully - since I cannot get the program to run. Maybe it absolutely requires an XEP80 to run and shows a black/blank screen otherwise ?  (And I do not have an XEP80.)

It requires an XEP80. And to speed up working with it BASIC XL is recommended as the core part is in BASIC. It runs on Atari DOS 2.5, SpartaDOS XC2.3E, or SpartaDOS  X32D.

More MicroMiser software had already been posted in this forum:

Edited by GoodByteXL

Running on real XEP80, and SDX (800 / Incognito), with Avery's ULTRA drivers:

E5DF9000-8238-4990-B162-77BB59BBD6D1.thumb.jpeg.a00169c072072bd042beab4dc936cf74.jpeg

AFCE3A08-84D1-4C53-9B2E-89D00377AA27.thumb.jpeg.f8f68401cc0d629bf28f892b4b19f835.jpeg

Still working on some details, but it does launch, after taking dome steps.

It is INCOMPATIBLE, however, with Altirra Basic v1.57, which is pretty odd, since it has been ages since the last time I found something that does not run on it...

Tested and running here on Atari Basic revC, and Basic XL 1.03. I am surprised at its responsiveness.

• Like 1