IGNORED

AtariAge BBS

Albert

Should ask someone from NJ to confirm. I may have history wrong, as I recall we were all going to fiber optics and digital for phone service, then cell phones hit. Information I have is six months after Katrina, the copper/fiber lines were still out in NJ. Speculation at the time was phone companies were all deliberately dragging their feet to force people into using cell phones: Better profit margins, lower up keep, lower labor costs.

I know my land line phone service in the hills above Los Gatos is absolutely abysmal. It was better in the 80s then it is now. My Mom still has a dial type phone. It was funny to see my grand children Xmas trying to use it, talking into it like Scotty did the mouse in Star Trek "The Journey Home."

Saying all this just to give a heads up of what is obvious to all. Telenet will be around for a while, land lines I'm not so sure. Fine to use dial up for now but may need another solution in the near future. Maybe BT to cell dialer for toll free calls or something and a VOIP digital tolerant connection.

Anyone with experience with any of the low-cost Chinese RS232-Ethernet adapters? At under $20 shipped, they would be a nice alternative to the pricier options out there.

One example: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2912296050571?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=291229605057&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Manual at: http://www.lillyelectronics.com/download/USR-TCP232-T24_en.pdf

And perhaps a better option (that could be powered by SIO) at: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2616952825801?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261695282580&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

An AtariAge BBS would be cool!

As far as connectivity..... I've had good luck with an 850 + Precidia iPocket232 setup.

I have an SX212 as well but I haven't bothered getting a power supply for it since I don't have a phone line at the moment.

The power supply for the SX212 is the same one as the Atari VCS (2600). If you have a VCS you have the proper power adapter.

Edited by Fletch

Anyone with experience with any of the low-cost Chinese RS232-Ethernet adapters? At under $20 shipped, they would be a nice alternative to the pricier options out there.

I've looked at some of those. The ones that support the AT command set might be usable. If they support real RS232, an 850 could probably be used. If they are TTL serial, you might be able to build something easily but you'd have to put a little effort into it. Maybe build something like an RVerter but without the MAX232.

I ended up going with the Precidia iPocket232 simply because I ended up with a couple for free and I already had an 850 I scored for $20 on eBay months prior itching for something to do.

I just gave in to temptation and ordered a TTL model. There will be a need to make a slight control circuit to enter "Configuration Mode" - I'm thinking I can use the cassette control line for that - and a need for a bit of software to send the config string (twenty four bytes which includes the IP address and port for the device and the IP address and port for the destination). With that up and running it should be able to use an R:Verter handler and a term program (famous last words). (Manual for the model I bought is at http://www.tcp232.net/download/USR-TCP232-T-EN.pdf)

...step 2 will be to figure out "TCP Server mode"...

Given work, work and school right now, I figure I should get around to it sometime in 2018 or so...

The UDS10 is pretty common and can be had cheap nowadays. In actual field use these days I use a LOT of the iPocket232 and SysTech devices. We use them in our stores a lot for legacy POS gear, money order machines, light control boxes, etc.

One caveat with an awful lot of these devices is that they don't support DNS but that's not really a showstopper.

The UDS10 is pretty common and can be had cheap nowadays. In actual field use these days I use a LOT of the iPocket232 and SysTech devices. We use them in our stores a lot for legacy POS gear, money order machines, light control boxes, etc.

One caveat with an awful lot of these devices is that they don't support DNS but that's not really a showstopper.

Another big disadvantage of the UDS10, which is imho unforgivable, is that it does not do a 100% compatible telnet handshake. This results in incompatible terminal telnet applications giving double echo on screen, without the ability of switching that off.

The MSS100 needs a nullmodem cable to connect to your atari, in stead of a regular rs232 cable, but does not has this issue and it does support DNS as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, to be fair, the UDS10 is really old by today's standards which is why they are so cheap now. They were insanely expensive when they were new. IIRC they were one of the first compact single-port device server/terminal server you could get.

I've been tempted to try to write a few Atari-side apps that implement a few application layer protocols like FTP and DNS that kick the iPocket into raw socket mode. At that point it almost acts like a real network interface but you only have to implement application layer protocol and let the device do the heavy TCP/IP lifting.

There's a lot of additional functionality besides modem emulation we could squeeze out of these devices but I don't know how consistent any of it is across manufacturers.

• 4 years later...

I have actually got my US Robotics Sportster 28800 DIAL UP modem to work on a Rogers Voip Line, the thing I did not know is that digital lines still support pulse dialing and if you have a digital line first you have to type ATZ then ATP, then ATDP and the phone number, my BBS is going online right now! I will switch it to a pulse modulation and that will work with any caller in the world, the number to call is 1-226-647-0710 , I have an Ultra Satan with 8 GIGS online several door games but I have yet to get them to work, but I have Forum ST running with 12 message bases, and a NETUSBEE device hooked up. I will be running the MAX drives , that is 14 520 Meg drives from C to P, that's 520 Megs times 14 dedicated to my new BBS : Spy Visits Spy BBS. I will put up both the ST , 8 Bit and Portfolio Libraries for download. This will be a free system, you can download to your hearts content at 19200 baud, I don't know if the Mega ST4 can go faster but I will try. And I am going to turn on my AdSpeed 16 MHZ speed booster too, to make it lightning fast along with my super fast Micro SD card (Highest speed you can get). Russ

• Like 2