IGNORED

Atari Ultima II Player Disk Floppy

jameslkent

Hello, I am new to the AtariAge forums but I am hoping someone here can help me. I recently purchased a vintage Atari 800xl with 1050 disk drive for my son as an X-mas present and it came with a used version of Ultima II on 5.25" floppy. The problem is that the Player Master disk for Ultima II is corrupt and we cannot create a new character disk for playing and saving the game. This is the disk you are supposed to copy for each new character you create. I have looked around for a backup of this disk and I figured if anyone would know where to find one it would be someone on this forum. Can anyone help me get a copy of this disk on 5.25" floppy?

I have found a disk image for emulators on an old thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85777-having-problems-in-getting-ultima-ii-started-with-the-atari-8-bit-or-the-apple-ii-version/

The problem is that I have no idea how to get this file from my PC onto an Atari 1050 formatted floppy. If there is anyone out there that has a Player Master disk for Ultima II and can make a copy for me, or who has the know-how to get this disk image onto a floppy for me, I would gladly pay you for your efforts or trade other vintage Atari cartridges or gear. I have blank floppies, I would be happy to snail mail someone a blank disk if they could make a duplicate for me and send it back.

As you can imagine, it was very disappointing to set up the vintage machine and not be able to play the game because of a Player Disk error. If anyone out there can help me replace this disk you would be making an 11-year-old vintage computer geek very happy. Thanks!

There are ways to interface the 1050 and/or an Atari computer to the PC, but it sounds like the easiest route is for someone to mail you a copy.

I absolutely loved Ultima II. Back in Jr. High, my friends and I would get together over the weekend and play non-stop. Sometimes we'd sleep in shifts to keep advancing our character. It was really a magical time. The game looked best on the 400/800 due to the blue/green artifacting scheme. It will probably look red/blue on an XL.

• Like 1

If you want to have some crazy fun while waiting for a good player disk, copy the 'Galactic Disk' and use that for your player disk. You will start on a planet and there will be time doors if you can find them. Did this by accident way back when and couldnt figure out my my Atari Ultima II was different than my friends Apple version :)

• Like 3

Have fun playing Ultima 2 , like I did playing Ultima IV. Always nice to see new blood that loves to play Ultima games on the ATari 8bit. I played Ultima IV 3 years in a row, almost every day, until i realised that I only discovered less than 10% (or so) of the total game. That turned me off. Anyhow, The Ultima games are great.

Ever thought about playing Auto Duel (from the same creators as the Ultima series, known as Origin) ?

Ultima IV was one of the most influential factors in my early life. I strenuously recommend it to anyone who has not yet had the honor.

Not to mention the Valor, Compassion, Spirituality, Honesty, Humility, the sense of Justice and the willingness to Sacrifice (long long hours).

I loved that game. We even had the text based map on our wall. Tried to print it in color back then using my Star SG10 printer and planned to print all of one color, then the next, with the different color ribbons I found... but alas, I was young and never got it working right. Would have been epic if I had.

Perhaps I'll try again...

http://www.gamezero.com/gamezero/staff/rip/

Oh, and I do second the recommendation for Autoduel.