IGNORED

Dust covers for Commodore 1702 monitors

Bill Lange

The covers are nice, but it's too bad that they're translucent. At this stage in the life of a piece of classic computer-ware or videogame-ware, what just as important as shielding from dust is shielding from UV, which discolors most of them, unmercifully. It sure would be nice to see some black or brown vinyl from these folks, but I'm willing to conjecture that they are NOT going to redesign (nor introduce new designs) the dust cover collection, in order to prevent my classic system from YELLOWING.

oldjd, are you listening?

• Like 1

The covers are nice, but it's too bad that they're translucent. At this stage in the life of a piece of classic computer-ware or videogame-ware, what just as important as shielding from dust is shielding from UV, which discolors most of them, unmercifully. It sure would be nice to see some black or brown vinyl from these folks, but I'm willing to conjecture that they are NOT going to redesign (nor introduce new designs) the dust cover collection, in order to prevent my classic system from YELLOWING.

oldjd, are you listening?

Compucover makes black not translucent covers too.

I've no problems because my "museum" room is almost always in the dark.

Anyway, good point.

Do you have a list of measurements for the covers that you ordered by hardware?

Here is the list of the covers I ordered from Compucover for my exposed hardware (dimensions in inches).

Atari 1010 or 1020

h2.4 w7.2 d5.9

Atari 1029

h1.97 w16.53 d9.25

Atari 1050

h1.97 w7.28 d11.92

Atari 800

h2 w15.75 d12.6

Atari 800XL

h0.9 w14.8 d8.6

Apple IIc

h1.97 w11.1 d12

Apple Macintosh SE

Case h14.5 w10.3 d11.6 (could be more precise)

Keyboard h1 w17.4 d6

Commodore 1084ST

h13.4 w14.17 d15.35

Commodore Amiga 1200

h0.78 w19.11 d9.75 (could be more precise)

Commodore C64c

h0.97 w16.38 d10.14 (could be more precise)

Commodore PET 2001

h17.4 w18.2 d20.3 (could be more precise)

Sinclair ZX81

h0.4 w6.5 d6.7

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To Bill Lange: I checked Amazon.com and they do sell the dust covers you have a link for, but not the 15" variety anymore, possibly because people want larger monitors now. Amazon.com won't sell them to me because I live in Canada. I found the 15" kind on computerdust,com, along with 17" and 19"-21". I don't see how the 15" could fit your Commodore 1702 monitors, because the 1702 is 14.5"W x 13"H x 16"D, and the 1084S monitor is 14"W x 13.5"H x 15"D, while the 15" dust cover is only 13"D, and listed as 11/15"H, and I don't know what that means. They are translucent dust covers, which means they are 50% transparent, so sunlight would yellow the monitor frame and would shine on the monitor screen, which for some reason is not very good. I would appreciate a reply from anybody, so don't be hesitant to post. Thank you.

I can assure you that the 15" monitor covers that I purchased do indeed fit the 1702 with room to spare for the cables. See the photos above. I double checked my 12/2014 order and it was the 15" (17W x 15/11H x 13D) version of which I purchased two. I also do not see the 15" covers available on Amazon any longer.

I have my equipment in the basement and it is never in the direct sunlight.

Bill

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...