IGNORED

Why were the ST computers so much more successfull in Europe?...

ataridave

the US seemed to go for the Mac and PC's. although they did sell a lot of Amiga's too, just not so much the ST. In Canada we seemed to sell both Amiga's and Atari's about 50/50, and everyone i knew had either or. and mainly due to the price. i bought my 1040stfm in 1988 for $700 when a PC or Mac were both a few thousand dollars, and at the time they were way better than a monochrome mac or 4 color CGA PC.

Atari also had a long reputation as a gaming company in the USA. From the early 1970's, anyone who went to a bar, an arcade, a vacation spot, the 7-11 was exposed to a game with an Atari logo on it.

As time went on and Atari ventured into computers, many US consumers and certainly businesses never took Atari seriously as a viable platform for serious work. IBM was the business machine. Heck, the company is International Business Machines and nobody was ever fired for buying IBM.

Apple had the reputation of starting the home and small business computing market, so again people had a level of comfort here in the USA with Apple products.

Some of us, myself included, bought Atari machines. When we'd go to stores to buy software there was occasionally slim pickings or more likely no pickings to be had. The 8-bit Atari era was challenging in that regard, but during the ST era it was damn near impossible to find anything locally. Mail order was the only real option for many of us.

Edited by Fletch

in my town in Alberta Canada, we had a dozen Atari stores when it came to the ST, i actually worked for one until 1995, doing board upgrades and repairs. until it closed down, and it was the last in town to do so.

when i was in university, the computer lab was all Atari 1040stf they were cheap to buy, could easily hook up to the mainframe (serial connection) and terminal program. worked great.

Edited by locnar77

the US seemed to go for the Mac and PC's. although they did sell a lot of Amiga's too, just not so much the ST. In Canada we seemed to sell both Amiga's and Atari's about 50/50, and everyone i knew had either or. and mainly due to the price. i bought my 1040stfm in 1988 for $700 when a PC or Mac were both a few thousand dollars, and at the time they were way better than a monochrome mac or 4 color CGA PC.

Cool, I didn't know that the stfm was sold in Canada. The Amiga didn't fare much better here, but I don't think anyone had to mail order any software for it. I had the 512K Macintosh, and while the selection of games at my local Software ETC was a tiny fraction of what it was for IBM compatible PCs, it wasn't that bad.

Edited by newataridave

From my fragmented memory of Ontario, Canada in the 80s, the business market was dominated by PCs, and the home market was dominated by Commodore 64. And when people were ready to upgrade their C64s they switched to the PC clones which were much cheaper.

Atari ST, Amiga, and Mac were more niche market machines, used for specialty applications.

• Like 1

that is very true, atari, amiga and mac really didnt have the straight forward business software companies were looking for. and if people used a pc in the office they wanted one at home too, so they could run the same software. the atari and amiga were gamers computers, just like the mac was for desktop publishing. and the Amiga had video editing, and the ST was great with music editing. but yes totally niche market. but pc's weren't cheap, as i said up above I paid $700 + $300 for my 1040st and color monitor. when i bought my first PC, a 486 dx66 in 1992ish with a 14" monitor it was well over $3000 and it was just a clone.

Edited by locnar77

By the way, how was the NTSC/PAL (60Hz vs 50Hz) issue handled with games in North America? Did you have to switch the games to 50 Hz to play them? (back then motion was frame based in games in general, not time based, and most games were calibrated for 50Hz, the main market, afair).

A US retailer told me a story about north american gamers having to boot the game with an app that switched to 50Hz before launching the games.

Edited by Keops

Because it was CHEAP, FAST-BUCK TRAMIEL TACTICS. My local Atari dealer *COMPLETELY* folded, because of this. They didn't offer any other product lines. Poor them!

Atari computers (meaning - at the time - primarily the then-"hot" ST - brought bigger-bucks in Europe, than it did in the US. So Atari (Tramiel) shipped all (almost) product to where it got a big, fast buck - Europe. Meanwhile, the beleaguered US Atari dealership took a shank in the can, after doing Atari's "pioneer" work for them, only having mass-market (and mail-order) reap what little profits there were, in the long run.

My local Atari dealer couldn't get jack-shit from Atari direct (as they used to) and had to resort to ordering from "Computer Mail Order" (or similar such firms) rather than Atari, and then struggling on a thin margin. Atari would only ship to LARGE US firms, and completely threw their dealer network to the wolves. I witnessed it, firsthand, as my local Atari dealer folded. Too bad they didn't sell Amiga 500s, as did atarian63, back in the day; they might have made it.

The reason that Atari computers were more successful in Europe is because - at the time - it was more profitable to ship the limited production (Atari Corp. was a relatively-small company) to Europe and sell it for more, and neglect the US market. Fast-buck, but "cheap didn't sell" in the long run, quite obviously.

• Like 1

When i interviewed Atari Uk's Marketing Manager (at time of the ST), Darryl Still for ST Gamer Vol 1 (still avaiable to buy folks :-) ), he talked of the German side of Atari never seeing the gaming side of the ST and also puts down a lot of the ST's sales in the UK to the 'supremely successful' Power Pack, which just 'sold and sold and sold' and was for Atari 'an amazing product'.

He's not wrong either as myself and so many friends at the time got into 16 Bit gaming on superb bundles like this, £100 cheaper than the Amiga, plus 20 games...no contest...

Bit short sighted in the long term as Amiga was 'The better machine' :-), but back then, it was a no brainer for us.

My local Atari dealer couldn't get jack-shit from Atari direct (as they used to) and had to resort to ordering from "Computer Mail Order" (or similar such firms) rather than Atari, and then struggling on a thin margin. Atari would only ship to LARGE US firms, and completely threw their dealer network to the wolves. I witnessed it, firsthand, as my local Atari dealer folded. Too bad they didn't sell Amiga 500s, as did atarian63, back in the day; they might have made it.

It's simply not true that Atari would only ship to large dealers and distributors. I worked at a small dealer for a couple of years and we never had any particular problem getting stock as long as we did one thing.

Paid our bills.

The few times we had any issues with getting product from Atari, it was when we were a little late paying on some invoice. When that happened, we would be at the bottom of the queue for getting anything. But as long as we were paid up and current, we never had to wait more than a week or so for most products.

If your local dealer had problems getting stock, it was very likely because they had an outstanding unpaid balance with Atari.

What I mean is: were those games always switched back to 50Hz, even Epyx (North American) editions?

I dunno why you think Epyx releases would be different one way or the other, but as a general rule, games ran at the default refresh rate the system booted on, whatever that was.

A game programmed around 50hz and using the vertical blank for timing would run about 15% faster on 60hz but that's about it.

A few games, very few, wouldn't run at 60hz. Probably too much code and too little time between vertical blanks. But there was a little program called "50hz.tos" which switched the system into 50hz mode. Once this was run, many of these games would work. As long as you were using the Atari SC1224 monitor, anyway.