IGNORED

Why were the ST computers so much more successfull in Europe?...

ataridave

All I've ever seen are Amigas running one-button joysticks - like Atari ST, like Atari 400/800, like Atari 2600, like Commodore 64, like Commodore VIC-20. Please, let's have a definitive list of (1) the 2-button joysticks for the Amiga, and (2) the list of games that supported the alleged 2-button joystick. Let's have a list!

Here 'ya go! Can use a variety of 2-button joysticks from the 80's/90's (page should be updated to reflect pin #9 as 2nd button or button C on a Genny pad) and today, as well as Sega Master System, Genesis and the CD32 pads of course. :)

ADoom

Agony

Aladdin

Alien 3

Alien Breed 2

Alien Breed - Tower Assault

Apidya

Arabian Nights

Banshee

Battle Squadron

BC Kid

Black Viper

Brutal Sports Football

Bubba'n'Stick

Bubble and Squeak

Cool Spot

Dennis

Desert Strike

Dragonstone

Fifa International Soccer

Fightin' Spirit

Fire and Ice

Flashback

Football

Glory

The Great Giana Sisters

Hybris

Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja

John Madden American Football

Leander

Lionheart

Lollypop

Mega Typhoon

Mercs

Mega Twins

Midnight Resistance

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat 2

Mr Nuts

Nigel Mansell's World Championship

Pegasus

Powder

Project X

Puggsy

R-Type

R-Type 2

Rainbow Islands

Ruff'n'Tumble

Shadow Fighter (CD32)

Skeleton Krew Snow Bros

Soccer Kid

Street Fighter 2

Super Street Fighter 2

Tony & Friends In Kellogg's Land

Total Football

Turrican

Turrican II

Turrican 3

Virocop

Xtreme Racing

Yo! Joe!

Wow, this message thread has certainly turned ugly. :)

Was just gonna share my own personal experience. I'm not a dealer, and far from

being an "expert" in any sense of the word.

I remember being all excited about the ST being announced/shown in 1985, and

being able to buy my first 520ST from CDW, I believe was the company's name, in

1986. I had no problems at the time getting what I wanted, 520ST, 360k floppy, and the

color monitor. I do remember at the time that the 720k floppy drive was unavailable,

but that was because of high demand, according to CDW.

After that, we had a local Atari dealer, Software Alternatives, about 20 mins from

where I live. Great place, super nice owner. His name was Stan and he was smart.

He rode the Atari wave for a few years, saw where things were going, made a small

fortune, sold out and moved to Florida with his wife. I hope they've lived happily ever

after.

Once Stan and Software Alternatives was gone, I did most of my ST buying through mail

order, like so many others. I personally never had any trouble getting anything that I

wanted. I do remember around 1988/89, there being some kind of RAM shortage that

affected a lot of ST prices. (some factory burned down?), and I did have to wait on my

first STe (can't remember why I had to wait, sorry).

I guess my first personal "huh, what about that" moment came when I found out I had

to drive over to Elden Computers in W. Virginia to buy a Falcon because Atari would

not let them go out by mail order at first. That was a major inconvenince but I think

that was because of Atari, not a shortage? (not sure abou this part).

Anyway, maybe it really did depend on where you were and the Atari support network

around you. Don't know - sure seems to be a lot of widely varying opinions and "facts".

:)

Mike may not have a high post count, but Newbie idiot he is not:

http://www.fultonsoft.com/tag/atari-st/

:)

Interesting! However, it isn't THAT which I took issue with, so although it's somewhat-suprising, it's of little-to-no relvance to the issue. The issue was a claim that one could "clairvoyantly know" that THE REASON that U.S. Atari dealers were short-shipped Atari ST product was because they didn't pay their bills. Flying in the face of that is the well-documented (through magazines, testimony, personal experience) fact that Atari was a small company, there was a DRAM shortage, and the Euro market was more profitable and Atari threw the U.S. dealers to the wolves. Atari dealers, the ST computer line, and Atari Corp. themselves would eventually pay a price. Low post count, newbie, or whatever, it's ridiculous to claim one could "know" why (and specifically because those small businesses decided to shoot themselves in the foot by not paying their bills) other Atari dealers (with whom one had no contact nor information of whatsoever) weren't being shipped product. This is just common sense, if that's still fashionable. Newbie idiot perhaps not, but preposterous position, save for some supernatural clairvoyance, of which I'd like to see further evidence of.