IGNORED

Club Drive

DinnerMan

Club Drive  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best game on Jaguar, or best game ever?

• Best game on Jaguar
    • Best game ever

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Very few are taking into account that for 10 bucks it's not the worst jaguar game I have ever played.

Back during original release for 70 bucks their where a ton of better games for genesis or jag that I could get....sso the reviews where spot on.

Saying that when my freind came over and saw I had added to the Jag collection an extra 30 games or so club drive NBA jam and power drive ralley where among his favorites.

It is better than checked flag and Supercross 3d. And in the top 10 of jag racers

I think I still have my receipt for Club Drive when it was first released and it was $70! I remember playing it for the first time and thinking, "it's a very quirky game that I want to like, but it's just not very good". What's funny is that I have had more fun with the game now than I did back then, but that's still not saying much and it gets very little playtime. I actually enjoy Supercross 3D more than Club Drive!

Edited by JaguarGod

Nice driving! Club Drive is weird, because the tracks are split into two sections, so one lap is only half of the track, but two laps is one time around the track. Why they did it that way is beyond me. I think the default for records on The Jaguar Top 50 web site back in the day was two laps.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

• 2 months later...

http://www.gamesradar.com/worst-games-all-time/

It made the top 10, won't spoil the exact position.

X. Club Drive

We could make a perfect case for why Club Drive is so bad just by saying that it was an Atari Jaguar exclusive. However, while most of the Jaguar’s lineup didn’t satisfy the dozens of people that bought it, Club Drive is in a league all its own. Most of the other Jaguar games are ugly or have bad controls; Club Drive has both and then some.

The game is near unplayable; it’s a feat to keep your car going in a straight line without running into the background’s really awful polygonal environments. Take that screenshot above for example; the orange blob there is supposed to be a cat that lives in the giant house you’re driving through. That doesn’t look like any tabby cat I’ve ever seen. We’d rather go on a Sunday drive through the Sahara with no AC then cruise around Club Drive.

http://www.gamesradar.com/worst-games-all-time/

It made the top 10, won't spoil the exact position.

Excuse me but Night Trap? Night trap is a pure gem... and a classic. And then Pac Man 2600?

Too many new shovel-ware type games on here. They could have done so much more with this list. Suppose it's targeted to younger "modern gamers."

"However, while most of the Jaguar’s lineup didn’t satisfy the dozens of people that bought it, Club Drive is in a league all its own. Most of the other Jaguar games are ugly or have bad controls; Club Drive has both and then some."

-Some guy who has never played a Jaguar in his life

I've made it known Club Drive rocks my world. I didn't pay initial release price but neither bargain bin. At the time I was still playing 3D games without textures on my PC so the graphics were still impressive. The controls required some getting used to but were nothing out of the oridinary for 3D games at the time. I'm thinking flight simulators and Hard Drivin.

I think hindsight makes this game look much worse.

I've made it known Club Drive rocks my world. I didn't pay initial release price but neither bargain bin. At the time I was still playing 3D games without textures on my PC so the graphics were still impressive. The controls required some getting used to but were nothing out of the oridinary for 3D games at the time. I'm thinking flight simulators and Hard Drivin.

I think hindsight makes this game look much worse.

Except for the fact hindsight didn't give it awful scores in contemporary reviews. While I can appreciate the idea that it's an acquired taste for some people, let's not try to make it into something it's not.

Right.

You always have to take click-bait lists with a mountain of salt... but we all know Club Drive isn't even the worst game on the Jaguar which makes its ranking completely illogical.

I agree that click-bait articles aren't often worth much debate or discussion - they're basically designed to cheese some people off and make other people with cursory knowledge of things nod in agreement - but I think Club Drive is fair game even if it's not necessarily the worst game on the platform. (I'm assuming you meant something like Supercross 3D instead as the worst.) The issue I think is something like Club Drive is probably better known and an easier target, and we might be expecting a bit much for such a simple piece to kind of really get at the heart of "worst."

I guess I didn't clairify this was from my own experience. I apologise.

I wasn't calling out your statement or opinion - more power to you - merely the idea that hindsight has much, if anything, to do with how Club Drive is perceived. It's not like someone is going back to an old game and criticizing its poor technology where in this case the technology wasn't called out in contemporary reviews. It was. I think for better or worse, the general consensus on Club Drive has been pretty consistent.

I wasn't calling out your statement or opinion - more power to you - merely the idea that hindsight has much, if anything, to do with how Club Drive is perceived. It's not like someone is going back to an old game and criticizing its poor technology where in this case the technology wasn't called out in contemporary reviews. It was. I think for better or worse, the general consensus on Club Drive has been pretty consistent.

Esecially with the Jag I didn't pay atention to the coverage (what little I could find). You either appreciated the Atari style or you didn't.

I agree that click-bait articles aren't often worth much debate or discussion - they're basically designed to cheese some people off and make other people with cursory knowledge of things nod in agreement - but I think Club Drive is fair game even if it's not necessarily the worst game on the platform. (I'm assuming you meant something like Supercross 3D instead as the worst.) The issue I think is something like Club Drive is probably better known and an easier target, and we might be expecting a bit much for such a simple piece to kind of really get at the heart of "worst."

I love that we both qualified our comments by acknowledging that these articles aren't worth much but then discussed the merits of their ranking.

Since I'm now down this rabbit hole, my only real problem with their selection is not their objective lack of knowledge, it's their pitiful lack of imagination. Have an original thought, take a provocative stance, and maybe surprise your audience. That is my expectation with articles like these and I think that's a pretty fair expectation.

But, of course, ET is #2. Not even Zak Penn can dissuade the lemmings from senselessly echoing one another.

Edited by Schmudde

LianneJaguar64, on 05 Dec 2015 - 01:33 AM, said:

This is, undoubtedly, the best game of all time, games like Fallout or Tomb Raider or Metal Gear Solid paling in comparison (all of which will of course be available on Jaguar very soon!). I'm surprised that Club Drive didn't sell more Jaguar's!

That was brilliant :-D

• Like 1

We’d rather go on a Sunday drive through the Sahara with no AC then cruise around Club Drive.

I've gotta say, the formulation "I'd rather do [horrible thing] than play this game" has worn pretty thin. It had already worn thin back when AVGN was in its infancy, frankly. It's usually the sign of a reviewer who's more interested in strutting than truth-finding.

(Note that I have no opinion on Club Drive one way or the other, though I may pick it up sometime next year.)